Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Mark Palansky|
Henry Ian Cusick
|Music by||Gregory Tripi|
Great Point Media
First Point Entertainment
|Distributed by||Lionsgate Premiere|
Rememory is a 2017 American science fiction drama film directed by Mark Palansky and written by Mark Palansky and Michael Vukadinovich. The film stars Peter Dinklage, Julia Ormond, Anton Yelchin, Henry Ian Cusick, Gracyn Shinyei and Colin Lawrence. The film premiered at the 2017 Sundance Film Festival on January 25, 2017. The film was released on Google Play on August 24, 2017, before being released in theaters and video on demand on September 8, 2017, by Lionsgate Premiere.
Sam Bloom (Peter Dinklage) and his brother are driving in the night when their car collides with another, causing his brother’s death.
After a year, scientific pioneer Gordon Dunn (Martin Donovan), who creates a technology that allows one to extract memories and watch them on an external device, mysteriously dies and Bloom sets about trying to solve the murder using this memory machine. As the investigation continues, a web of intrigue and deceit is uncovered.
Bloom learns that Dunn’s device has a technical fault which causes side-effects leading to recurring hallucinations on its users including him, and that most of the users have been quite upset with Dunn, directly blaming him for their mental deterioration. He also finds out that Dunn and his wife Carolyn (Julia Ormond) were separated after they lost their only daughter in an accident.
When Carolyn finds Dunn’s memory recordings, it is revealed that Dunn committed suicide after realising his invention had caused nothing but pain and misery in the lives of the users. He does so by attempting to erase his ongoing memories while still connected to the device. Meanwhile, Bloom re-watches his “accident memory” and finds out that the Dunns were in the other car and that their daughter was killed in the collision.
Bloom hands over his memory to Carolyn as a sort of confession apology, but she doesn’t watch it and instead throws into the sea with Dunn’s recordings as she watches her daughter playing on the water—a hallucination resulting from her own use of the memory device.
- Peter Dinklage as Sam Bloom
- Matt Ellis as Dash Bloom
- Julia Ormond as Carolyn Dunn
- Anton Yelchin as Todd
- Henry Ian Cusick as Robert Lawton
- Gracyn Shinyei as Jane Dunn
- Colin Lawrence as Mike Buckland
- Martin Donovan as Gordon Dunn
- Évelyne Brochu as Wendy Polk
- Jordana Largy as Freddie, bartender
- Carrie Anne Fleming as Norma Myers
- Kathryn Kirkpatrick as Becca
- Maja Aro as Natalie
- Scott Hylands as Charles
- Courtney Richter as Cindy / Charles Wife
On March 27, 2012, Catherine O'Hara and Peter Dinklage joined the cast of the film. On February 10, 2016, Julia Ormond replaced O'Hara in the film. Principal photography began on January 25, 2016, and ended on February 22, 2016.
The film premiered at the 2017 Sundance Film Festival on January 25, 2017. The film was released on Google Play on August 24, 2017, before being released in theaters and video on demand on September 8, 2017, by Lionsgate Premiere.
Guy Lodge of Variety reviewed the film, saying, "A bit of a trudge, despite Dinklage's committed and empathetic performance." Yasmin Kleinbart of The Young Folks and Scott Beggs of Nerdist both went on to say that "Dinklage deserves better than this film." Meredith Borders of Birth.Movies.Death. shared similar sentiments, saying, "If it weren't for Dinklage's remarkable performance, the film would have very little to recommend it."
- DeFore, John (January 27, 2017). "'Rememory': Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- "Rememory (2017)". The Numbers. Nash Information Services. Retrieved February 3, 2018.
- Brooks, Brian (March 27, 2012). "Catherine O'Hara And Peter Dinklage Board Mark Palansky's 'Rememory'". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved December 31, 2016.
- Patten, Dominic (February 10, 2016). "Julia Ormond To Star In Mark Palansky's 'Rememory'". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved December 31, 2016.
- Gittins, Susan (January 28, 2016). "SHOOT: Mark Palansky's REMEMORY With Peter Dinklage Filming in Gastown Today". Hollywood North. Retrieved December 31, 2016.
- SSN Insider Staff (February 26, 2016). "On the Set for 2/26/16: Dwayne Johnson & Zac Efron Start Shooting 'Baywatch', Peter Dinklage & Julia Ormond Wrap 'Rememory'". SSN Insider. TSS News. Archived from the original on February 28, 2016. Retrieved December 31, 2016.
- Patten, Dominic (December 5, 2016). "Sundance 2017: Robert Redford, New Rashida Jones Netflix Series, 'Rebel In The Rye' & More On Premiere, Docu, Midnight & Kids Slates". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved July 18, 2018.
- Collis, Clark (August 17, 2014). "Peter Dinklage is on the case in exclusive Rememory trailer". Entertainment Weekly. Time. Retrieved August 28, 2017.
- "Rememory (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved July 18, 2018.
- Lodge, Guy (January 28, 2017). "Sundance Film Review: 'Rememory'". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- Kleinbart, Yasmin (January 28, 2017). "Sundance 2017 Review: Rememory". The Young Folks. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- Beggs, Scott (January 26, 2017). "Peter Dinklage Deserves Better Than REMEMORY (Sundance Review)". Nerdist. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- Borders, Meredith (January 25, 2017). "Sundance Film Review: 'Rememory'". Birth.Movies.Death. Retrieved March 20, 2017.