Remind Me (Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood song)
|Single by Brad Paisley with Carrie Underwood|
|from the album This Is Country Music|
|Released||May 23, 2011|
|Recorded||February 9, 2011|
|Brad Paisley singles chronology|
"Remind Me" is a song co-written and recorded by American country music singer Brad Paisley, performed as a duet with Carrie Underwood. The song was released in May 2011 as the third single from Paisley's album This Is Country Music, released May 23, 2011. The music video for the song premiered on CMT on July 26, 2011. The song was also named Taste of Country's Song of The Year for 2011. Paisley wrote this song with Kelley Lovelace and Chris DuBois.
- 1 Background
- 2 Content
- 3 Critical reception
- 4 Commercial performance
- 5 Music video
- 6 Awards and nominations
- 7 Charts and certifications
- 8 References
- 9 External links
In an interview at the Billboard Country Music Summit in June 2011, Underwood described the recording of the song as "the most unorganized thing [she] had ever been a part of" but added that it "all worked out so perfectly." She and Paisley had previously discussed recording a duet for This Is Country Music but couldn't coordinate their schedules before the album was due to be completed in December 2010. The album was pushed back and Paisley contacted Underwood in February 2011, sending her a work tape of "Remind Me" with "a lot of mumbling" and Sheryl Crow singing the female part. Underwood saw potential in the song and flew from Los Angeles to Nashville to meet with Paisley, where they recorded the song on February 11, 2011. Upon the album's release in May 2011, Paisley expressed his hope that "Remind Me" would be its third single and described the decision to ask Underwood to perform on the song with him as an easy one.
In May 2013, songwriter Amy Bowen filed a $10 million lawsuit against the song's writers, claiming that they had stolen the idea from a song that she wrote in 2007.
The song's topic is about a married couple in seek of rekindling the flame of their relationship they once carried. It is set at a slow tempo of 69 beats per minute in the key of F major, with a vocal range from F3 to A5 and a primary chord pattern of F-Dm-C-B♭.
The duet has been met with favorable reviews. Dan Milliken of Country Universe gave the song a B rating, saying the song is "loaded with potential" but "trying too hard to be a big event." It received a five-out-of-five star rating from Billy Dukes of Taste of Country, who says "Underwood's vocals are pristine, and Paisley does more than enough to keep up." Bobby Peacock of Roughstock gave the song a 4.5 out of 5 stars, saying that "it's hard to find a good vocal match for Carrie, but no matter how much she tries to dial herself down, her powerhouse voice still makes Brad's very limited range all the more obvious. But that's a small complaint for an otherwise-excellent song." Zimbio gave the song five stars out five, saying that "You can actually feel the longing and the pain in both Brad and Carrie’s vocals throughout the single. The lyrics are well written, and lets you actually picture the memories they are talking about" and stated the duet is a potential Number One.
"Remind Me" entered the Hot Country Songs charts at number 36 on the chart dated for the week ending May 26, 2011. The duet also debuted at number 59 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, for the week of June 16, 2011[not in citation given] and debuted at number 78 on the Canadian Hot 100. The song reached the top of the Hot Country Songs chart. It sold 42,000 digital copies in its first week. At number 17, it is Paisley's highest ranking song on the Billboard Hot 100.
The music video for Remind Me was filmed on June 27, 2011, at El Mirage Lake, California. Deaton-Flanigen directed the video.
It shows Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood walking towards each other in the desert while they sing the song for each other. She is wearing a floral dress and he is wearing a shirt, jeans and a white cowboy hat. The desert represents their actual relationship like a barrel by walking towards each other is like they are trying to rekindle the relationship. In the end, they are finally face-to-face. This open end leaves up in the air if they will remind each other, just like the song.
Awards and nominations
Academy of Country Music Awards
|2012||"Remind Me"||Vocal Collaboration of the Year||Nominated|
American Country Awards
|2012||"Remind Me"||Collaborative Music Video of the Year||Won|
|2012||"Remind Me"||Most Performed Song of the Year||Won|
CMT Music Awards
|2012||"Remind Me"||Video of the Year||Nominated|
|2012||"Remind Me"||Collaborative Video of the Year||Won|
Charts and certifications
"Am I the Only One"
by Dierks Bentley
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
September 10, 2011
"Barefoot Blue Jean Night"
by Jake Owen
- Country Weekly: Carrie Underwood Talks Brad Paisley Duet
- "Videos : Brad Paisley : Remind Me With Carrie Underwood". CMT. Retrieved 26 July 2011.
- ":Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood Win 2011 Taste of Country Award for Song of the Year".
- Reuter, Annie (June 9, 2011). "Brad Paisley Had Carrie Underwood 'Waitin'' on a Duet". The Boot. Retrieved June 12, 2011.
- Morris, Edward (June 7, 2011). "Carrie Underwood Spills on Career, Love and Waitin' on Brad Paisley". Country Music Television. Retrieved June 12, 2011.
- Thompson, Gayle (May 16, 2011). "Brad Paisley Hopes Next Single Will Be a Carrie 'Remind'-er". The Boot. Retrieved June 12, 2011.
- Sciarretto, Amy (4 May 2003). "Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood Sued Over ‘Remind Me’". Taste of Country. Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- ""Remind Me" sheet music". Musicnotes.com. Retrieved 18 September 2011.
- Milliken, Dan (May 31, 2011). "Single Review: Brad Paisley & Carrie Underwood, “Remind Me”". Country Universe. Retrieved June 12, 2011.
- Dukes, Billy (June 7, 2011). "Brad Paisley Feat. Carrie Underwood, ‘Remind Me’ – Song Review". Taste of Country. Retrieved June 12, 2011.
- Peacock, Bobby (July 12, 2011). "Brad Paisley - "Remind Me (Duet With Carrie Underwood)"". Roughstock. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- "REVIEW: Brad Paisley & Carrie Underwood – Remind Me - Brad Paisley". Zimbio. Retrieved 2011-10-04.
- Morris, Edward (May 28, 2011). "Brad Paisley Peaks Songs Chart With "Old Alabama"". Country Music Television. Retrieved June 12, 2011.
- "RIAA – Gold & Platinum: Carrie Underwood singles". RIAA.com. Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved December 14, 2013.
- Bjorke, Matt (January 18, 2016). "Top 30 Digital Country Singles Chart: January 19, 2016". Roughstock.
- "Brad Paisley – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Brad Paisley.
- "Brad Paisley – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Brad Paisley.
- "Brad Paisley – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Brad Paisley.
- "Best of 2011: Hot 100 Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved 2011-12-09.
- "Best of 2011: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- "American single certifications – Brad Paisley – Remind Me". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved January 10, 2014. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH