Remington 1911 R1
|Remington 1911 R1|
|Place of origin||United States|
|Weight||38.5 oz (1,090 g) |
|Length||8.5 in (22 cm)|
|Barrel length||5 in (13 cm)|
|Height||5.5 in (14 cm)|
|Barrels||1-16 Left Hand Twist |
|Action||Short recoil operation (single action)|
|Feed system||7+1-round magazine|
|Sights||Dovetail front and rear, 3 dot|
The Remington 1911 R1 is a semi-automatic pistol modeled after the classic Colt 1911 which has served the US armed forces for over 100 years. Like the Colt 1911, the Remington 1911 is single action only. It also has features such as the beavertail grip safety, a manually operated thumb safety, and a firing pin safety.
In 1918, Remington Arms produced a 1911 style pistol modeled after the Colt 1911 after receiving a contract from the US government to produce the pistols. The war came to an end only one year later and Remington shut down their production of the 1911 in 1919 until April 2010 when they announced that they would start producing the 1911 again. This time the pistol would be marketed as the Remington 1911 R1. This reemergence into the handgun market was the first time in 12 years that Remington had produced a handgun as their last handgun, the Remington XP-100, had ceased production in 1998.
Model 1911 R1 Carry
Identical to the original except that it has de-horned frame and slide. These features make it better for carrying as it is less likely to catch on clothing.
Model 1911 R1 Centennial
Model 1911 R1 Centennial Limited Edition
Features an anniversary engraving made with 24-kt gold banner on the slide. Also features a carbona blue finish and a 14-kt gold bead in the front sight. 
Model 1911 R1 Enhanced
Features an extended magazine holding an additional round bringing the capacity up to 8. Also has an enhanced hammer and wider thumb safety as well as custom grips with thumb grooves. The sights are adjustable in the rear and have a red fiber-optic in front. 
Model 1911 R1 Enhanced Threaded Barrel
Model 1911 R1 Stainless
Identical to the original except with a matte stainless steel frame, slide, and various small parts. 
- "Remington Model 1911 R1". Remington Arms. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- Quinn, Jeff. "Remington R1 45 ACP 1911 Semi-Auto Pistol". Gun Blast. Retrieved 8 December 2012.
- Peterson, Philip. Gun Digest Book of Modern Gun Values: The Shooter's Guide to Guns 1900 to Present (16th ed.). p. 201.
- "Remington Model 1911 R1 Carry". Remington Arms. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "Remington Model 1911 R1 Centennial Limited". Remington Arms. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "Remington Model 1911 R1 Enhanced". Remington Arms. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "Remington Model 1911 R1 Enhanced Threaded". Remington Arms. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "Remington Model 1911 R1 Stainless". Remington Arms. Retrieved 7 December 2012.