Type of site
|Founded||May 23, 2011|
|Headquarters||Seattle, Washington, U.S.|
|Founder(s)||Matthew Oppenheimer, Josh Hug, and Shivaas Gulati.|
|Key people||Matthew Oppenheimer, Co-founder and CEO|
|Alexa rank||38,242 (May 2019[update])|
Remitly is an American online and mobile payment service company which provides international money transfers. The website was launched in April 2012. The company offers remittance services to nearly 50 different countries, with its most comprehensive coverage in Latin America and South Asia; other receiving countries covered are in Africa, Southeast Asia, and Eastern Europe.
The company was originally named Beamit, Inc and changed its name in August, 2012 to Remitly. Remitly is a digital service company for sending international money transfers from one country to another. Remitly accounted for four times the $135 billion dollar the global foreign aid sent in 2015, according to the World Bank. Remitly processes an average of $1 billion in transactions per year.
The company generates revenue by charging fees and by exchange rate mark ups.
Remitly supports money transfers to the following receiving countries (updated as of October 2019):
Mobile money operators able to receive funds sent by Remitly include:
- Rwanda: MTN Mobile Money, Tigo Mobile Money, Airtel Mobile Money
- Ghana: MTN Mobile Money, Airtel Money, Tigo Cash, Vodafone Cash
- Kenya: M-Pesa
- Indonesia: TCASH, Paypro (Indosat)
- Nepal: eSewa
- Sri Lanka: Ez Cash
- Bangladesh: bKash
- "Remitly Crunchbase". Retrieved 24 May 2019.
- "Remitly Management Team". Retrieved 24 May 2019.
- "Remitly.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved May 24, 2019.
- "Beamit is Now Remitly". businesswire.com. Retrieved 2019-05-24.
- "Money Transfer Startups: race against time?". Save on Send. August 29, 2019. Retrieved October 10, 2019.
- The Staff of Entrepreneur Media, Inc. Entrepreneur Voices on the Science of Success. Entrepreneur Press. ISBN 1599186349.
- Rubini, Agustin. Fintech in a Flash: Financial Technology Made Easy. De|G PRESS. ISBN 1547417161.
- Aitken, Roger (2017-01-14). "Remitly Shaking Up Billion Dollar Remittances Industry Adds Massachusetts". forbes.com. Retrieved 2019-05-24.
- Cook, John (31 December 2012). "Bezos-backed Remitly lands $2.6M to help immigrants send money home".
- "PORTFOLIO TomorrowVentures, LLC". 25 May 2019.
- Lunden, Ingrid (25 May 2019). "Remitly is raising up to $115M led by Naspers’ PayU to double down on remittances – TechCrunch".
- "Cross Border Commerce Remitly Expands Into 11 New Send Countries In Europe". PYMNTS. September 12, 2018.
- "Remitly expands to new European countries". Finextra. September 12, 2018.