Remnant: From the Ashes
|Remnant: From the Ashes|
|Publisher(s)||Perfect World Entertainment|
|Engine||Unreal Engine 4|
|Release||August 20, 2019|
|Genre(s)||Action-Adventure, third-person shooter|
Remnant: From the Ashes is an action role-playing third person shooter video game developed by Gunfire Games and published by Perfect World Entertainment for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. It was released on August 20, 2019.
Remnant: From the Ashes borrows its mechanics from franchises such as the Souls series, but rather than simply being melee combat, it incorporates a third person shooter element where the player can wield up to two gun weapons, one main weapon and one side arm, alongside their melee weapon. These weapons can vary between machine guns, shotguns, hunting rifles, sniper rifles and the like, and can also attach mods to them which give players extra abilities. Players can create their own custom character, and are required to defeat challenging enemies and bosses found throughout a randomly generated world, though the player still follows a set story. Players are able to upgrade their weapons and armor using materials they find throughout the world. They can also unlock trait points, which can be used to increase the stats of their playable character.
Unlike other Soulsborne titles which have limited multiplayer components, Remnant allows players to team up with up to two other players and progress through the story, where the game scales the difficulty based on how many players are in the game. The way this works is that if a player joins another players game, while the joining player will earn the same loot as the original player, once the joining player returns back to their world, they are required to progress through the story again. This is because different elements found in one players world may not be the same in another players; this can vary to which enemies and which bosses a player encounters. Unlike other similar titles, players do not lose any items or skill points upon death, but is taken back to the checkpoint, where each time the enemies may differ in number or change what spawns, thus keeping a variety in gameplay.
Remnant: From the Ashes is set in a post-apocalyptic world where it has been thrown into chaos by an ancient evil from another dimension which is now overrun by monstrous creatures.
IGN stated, "Remnant: From the Ashes delivers a beautifully deranged vision of the apocalypse that's overflowing with twisted creatures hellbent on making you suffer. The thrill of finally beating a boss that's had your number for hours is right up there with the Souls games that so clearly inspired it, though the underwhelming gear system sometimes brings down the high of overcoming the frequent difficulty spikes. Overall, it's a solid game that offers one of the best and most rewarding co-op experiences in quite some time, as long as you have a hint of desire to challenge and punish yourself over and over." While GameSpot stated, "Confusing accurately describes Remnant: From the Ashes a lot of the time, especially when its combination of established ideas doesn't mesh. But for the most part, the experiment is a success, resulting in deeply satisfying combat against creative and challenging enemies. Remnant struggles to effectively transfer that success over to an engaging loot system and an interesting story to wrap it all up, but when you're blasting away foes with weapons crafted from the remains of your latest boss kill, it's hard not to do so with a wide smile on your face."
- Grayson, Nathan (2019-08-27). "Remnant: From The Ashes, As Told By Steam Reviews". Kotaku. Retrieved 2019-09-13.
- Barbosa, Alessandro (2019-08-26). "Remnant: From the Ashes Review - In My Sights". GameSpot. Retrieved 2019-09-13.
- Carter, Chris (2019-08-26). "Review: Remnant: From the Ashes". Destructoid. Retrieved 2019-09-13.
- Alexandra, Heather (2019-08-22). "Remnant: From the Ashes Is Quickly Becoming One Of My Favorite Games Of 2019". Kotaku. Retrieved 2019-09-13.
- Lane, Rick (2019-08-20). "Remnant: From the Ashes review". PC Gamer. Retrieved 2019-09-13.
- Nwosu, KC (2019-08-20). "Remnant: From the Ashes - Review in 3 Minutes". The Escapist. Retrieved 2020-01-01.
- Jagneaux, David (2019-07-18). "Remnant: From the Ashes Preview: A Brutal And Unforgiving Co-Op Adventure". IGN. Retrieved 2019-09-13.
- "Remnant: From the Ashes for PC Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2019-11-05.
- "Remnant: From the Ashes for PlayStation 4 Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2020-03-11.
- "Remnant: From the Ashes for Xbox One Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2020-03-11.
- Croshaw, Ben "Yahtzee" (2020-01-01). "2019 Best, Worst, and Blandest – Zero Punctuation". The Escapist. Retrieved 2020-01-01.