This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013)
Remote Sensing Systems (RSS) is a private research company founded in 1974 by Frank Wentz. It processes microwave data from a variety of NASA satellites. Most of their research is supported by the Earth Science Enterprise program. The company is based in Santa Rosa, California.
Satellite Temperature Record
RSS is a widely cited source of data on the satellite temperature record. Their data is one source of evidence for global warming. Research by Carl Mears, Matthias Schabel, and Wentz, all of RSS, highlighted errors in the early satellite temperature records compiled by John Christy and Roy Spencer at UAH,  which had previously showed no significant temperature trend, bringing the derived satellite data into closer agreement with surface temperature trends, radiosonde data and computer models. The 2011 correction to UAH data is closer to the RSS data but differences remain, for example the Lower Troposphere global average trend since 1979, RSS currently have +0.133K/decade while UAH have 0.140K/decade, while the mid troposphere difference is even more marked at 0.079K/decade and 0.052K/decade respectively. However, in a recent online YouTube video, Dr. Carl Mears, a senior scientist with the team behind the satellite data, explained how he believes his data set needed correction.
I would have to say that the surface data seems that it's more accurate, because a number of groups analyze the surface data, including some who set out to prove the other ones wrong, and they all get more or less the same answer.
- Wentz, Frank J., and Matthias C. Schabel (1998). "Effects of orbital decay on satellite-derived lower-tropospheric temperature trends", Nature 394.6694, pp. 661-664
- Wentz, Frank J., and Matthias C. Schabel (2000). "Precise climate monitoring using complementary satellite data sets", Nature 403.6768, pp. 414-416.
- Revkin, Andrew (November 18, 2003). "New View of Data Supports Human Link to Global Warming". New York Times. Retrieved November 6, 2009.
- "RSS / MSU and AMSU Data / Description". Archived from the original on 23 November 2012. Retrieved 26 February 2011.
- "MONTHLY MEANS OF LOWER TROPOSPHERE LT5.4". UAH. Archived from the original on 17 July 2012. Retrieved 26 February 2011.
- Ronson, Jacqueline (March 3, 2016). "Ted Cruz Has Just Lost His Best Climate Change-Denying Weapon". Inverse. Retrieved July 4, 2019.
- Major correction to satellite data shows 140% faster warming since 1998 Carbon Brief 30 June 2017
- RSS Trend history Image
- Harvey, Chelsea (April 18, 2019). "It's A Match: Satellite and Ground Measurements Agree on Warming", Scientific American. Retrieived 8 Jan 2020.