Remsen Village, Brooklyn
Remsen Village, also formerly known as Rugby, is a neighborhood in central Brooklyn, New York City. It comprises the eastern part of the larger neighborhood of East Flatbush area, and is administered by Brooklyn Community Board 17.
Although it has been described as a "subsection of the larger East Flatbush neighborhood," with an estimated 60,000 residents. it has it own identity as "the Remsen Village neighborhood of Brooklyn" and also as "Rugby-Remsen Village.
Use of the name Remsen Village by residents and local organizations began before the 1970s, but more widespread use appears to have originated in the mid-1990s, with identification continuing a decade later and into 2019.
Related to the above namings are references such as
- "Remsen Village, located between East Flatbush and Brownsville."
- "Remsen Village (East Flatbush)/Canarsie"
- "the Remsen Village section of East Flatbush"
Remsen Village's population is over one third of Brooklyn Community Board 17's, the administrative unit to which it belongs, along with "East Flatbush, ... Farragut, Rugby, Erasmus and Ditmas Village."
- The New York City Department of City Planning lists Remsen Village as being part of District 17,
- NYS Assemblymember Diana C. Richardson (Assembly District 43) identified her district as including East Flatbush, Northeast Flatbush, Rugby, Farragut/Hyde Park, Remsen Village, Ditmas Village
Two Remsen lanes
Brooklyn has a Remsen Street in one neighborhood (Brooklyn Heights), and a Remsen Avenue in another (Canarsie); both are named after a Dutch family "that was among the early settlers of" the borough. An article about the aforementioned cites a book named "The Neighborhoods of Brooklyn" which refers to Remsen Village.
- "Remsen Village".
- "Remsen Village".
- Daniel J. Wakin; Anthony Ramirez (October 1, 2001). "Metro Briefing, Brooklyn - Girl Shot and Killed".
- Derek Watkins; Alicia Parlapiano (April 20, 2016). "The New York City Neighborhoods That Love Each Candidate". NYTimes.com.
- "Indiana's Digital Historic Newspaper Program - Jewish Post". Jewish Post. November 21, 1975. p. 13.
Remsen Village Community Council ... 660 Remsen Ave c/o Cong. Beth Israel
- "Neighborhoods: The 'Sacred Sites'". The New York Times. April 30, 1995.
- Michael Wilson; Ann Farmer (January 23, 2006). "Youth Killed Leaving Party in Brooklyn".
- "324 East 94th Street, East Flatbush, Brooklyn, NY".
2 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment in Remsen Village
- "Renovator of Victorian Beauties Profits From Preservation". May 5, 2014.
an authentic Victorian behemoth at 147 Rugby Road
- Lucas Peterson (November 11, 2016). "Want the 'Real' Brooklyn? Go Cheap". NYTimes.com.
- Cate Corcoran (October 9, 2015). "The 14 Most Affordable Neighborhoods in Brooklyn". Brownstoner Magazine.
- Suzanne Spellen (September 23, 2013). "Building of the Day: 649-677 East 91st Street". Brownstoner.com (Brownstoner Magazine).
- "Brooklyn Eagle by Nat". Brooklyn Eagle. March 30, 2017.
- "Brooklyn Community Boards". Retrieved December 31, 2007.
- Michael Pollak (March 23, 2008). "Of Bikes and Railings".
Ralph Avenue to East 98th Street in Remsen Village
- Michelle O'Donnell; Jess Wisloski (April 4, 2005). "A College Student Is Killed Leaving the Scene of a Fight". The New York Times.
East 58th Street in Remsen Village, Brooklyn
- "Brooklyn Community District 17".
... East Flatbush, Farragut, ... Remsen Village, Rugby
- "Assemblymember Diana C. Richardson, Assembly District 43 (June Community Meetings & Events)". NYassembly.gov. 2015.
- "The Lost Neighborhoods of Brooklyn". Brooklyn Magazine. February 15, 2012.
The Remsens .. Dutch .. 17th century
- Lore Croghan (March 29, 2017). "A fine old firehouse, and other East Flatbush sights". Brooklyn Eagle.
- Jackson, Kenneth T.; Manbeck, John B., eds. (2004). The Neighborhoods of Brooklyn (2nd ed.). New Haven, Connecticut: Citizens for NYC and Yale University Press. ISBN 0-300-10310-7.
- Henry Stewart (January 11, 2012). "8 "Official" Brooklyn Neighborhoods We Refuse to Recognize".