Rémy Ourdan began as a reporter in 1992 in Sarajevo. He covered the siege of Sarajevo and the Bosnian war for four years, first as a freelance correspondent, then as a journalist for Le Monde. In the Balkans, he also covered Croatia, the Kosovo war, Serbia after the fall of Slobodan Milosevic, and the insurgency in Macedonia. He closed the decade with an account of his journey with Svetlana Broz, writer and granddaughter of Josip Broz Tito, though the former Yugoslavia, in search of Yugo-nostalgia.
In Africa, he wrote a long investigative story on the Rwandan genocide, and covered conflicts in the Great Lakes region and in Congo, as well as the Eritrean-Ethiopian war and the Sierra Leone civil war.
He also covered the rise of the international criminal justice and the trials for crimes against humanity and war crimes at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in The Hague and the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda in Arusha.
Ourdan edited the collective book Après-guerre(s) (Autrement, 2001).
After the September 11 attacks by Al-Qaeda in 2001, Ourdan covered the American wars in Afghanistan and in Iraq, and worked on Al-Qaeda and global jihad. He entered Kabul with the mujahideen (November 2001) and was in Baghdad during the American-led invasion of Iraq (March–April 2003). He covered the Iraq war for two years, investigating the American war crimes committed during the invasion and the torture and prisoner abuse committed during the occupation, as well as the Fallujah Iraqi insurgency.
He wrote about the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq for the photo book WAR, edited by the VII photo agency (A War, and Ricochets, VII, WAR, de.MO, 2003), and for Dispatches, edited by Gary Knight and Mort Rosenblum (America vs Al Qaeda: A Foe's Best Friend, dispatches, Beyond Iraq, 2008).
Ourdan has been Le Monde foreign editor (2005-2008).
Ourdan organized on April 6, 2012, for the 20th anniversary of the war in Bosnia, a reunion called "Sarajevo 2012", for which hundreds of war reporters came back to Sarajevo. He published, with Jon Jones and Gary Knight, the photo book Bosnia 1992-1995 (edited by Jon Jones, 2012), for which he wrote the foreword Sarajevo, a love story.
An international foundation on contemporary conflicts, WARM, started as a project during "Sarajevo 2012". WARM, founded and headed by Ourdan, has been launched in Sarajevo in 2013. WARM is organizing an annual festival in Sarajevo and is publishing a WARM Review.
- Bayeux-Calvados Awards for war correspondents 2000 for a story on the war in Sierra Leone (Le Monde, 1999).
- Bayeux-Calvados Awards for war correspondents 2012, Ouest-France/Jean-Marin Prize for a story on the Mexican drug war in Ciudad Juarez (Le Monde, 2012).
- Gold FIPA for Best Documentary 2016 for The Siege (Agat Films & Cie, 2016).
- Rémy Ourdan
- Rémy Ourdan / Le Monde
- Rémy Ourdan / WARM
- Rémy Ourdan at the Internet Movie Database
- Le Monde, les grands reportages 1944-2009 (Les Arènes, 2009)
- Mort Rosenblum, Little Bunch of Madmen (2010)
- Le Monde, les grands reportages 1944-2012 (Les Arènes, Pocket, 2012)
- Sarajevo 2012
- Bosnia 1992-1995 (2012)
- Visa pour l'Image, Photographing War (2013)
- Arte, Mémoire de l'oubli - Rémy Ourdan (2014)
- WARM, WARM Review #1 (2015)
- Reporters Sans Frontières, Robert Capa (2015)
- Après-guerre(s), Autrement, 2001: http://www.remyourdan.com/otherworks/2001-01-remy-ourdan-apres-guerres/
- Mémoire de l'oubli - Rémy Ourdan - Irak 2003, La prise de Bagdad, Arte, 2014: http://info.arte.tv/fr/memoire-de-loubli-remy-ourdan
- VII, WAR, de.MO, 2003: http://viiphoto.com/viistore/shop/war-vii
- A War, and Ricochets, VII, WAR, de.MO, 2003: http://www.remyourdan.com/otherworks/2003-vii-war/
- dispatches, Beyond Iraq, 2008: http://viiphoto.com/viistore/shop/dispatches-beyond-iraq
- America vs Al Qaeda : A Foe's Best Friend, dispatches, Beyond Iraq, 2008: http://www.remyourdan.com/otherworks/2008-02-dispatches-beyond-iraq/
- Sarajevo 2012: http://www.warmfoundation.org/project/sarajevo-2012
- Sarajevo 2012: http://www.remyourdan.com/otherworks/2012-04-06-sarajevo-2012/
- It’s not hard to fall in love for Sarajevo, Radio Sarajevo: http://www.radiosarajevo.ba/novost/77110/#
- Sarajevo was The Story Of Their Lives, The Cutting Edge: http://www.thecuttingedgenews.com/index.php?article=72788
- Gary Knight, Jon Jones, Tom Stoddart and Rémy Ourdan revisit Bosnia, Canon Professional Network: http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/interviews/gary_knight_and_jon_jones_revisit_bosnia.do
- Bosnia 1992-1995: http://www.warmfoundation.org/project/bosnia-1992-1995
- Sarajevo, a love story, Bosnia 1992-1995, 2012: http://www.remyourdan.com/otherworks/2012-jon-jones-remy-ourdan-gary-knight-bosnia-1992-1995/
- WARM: http://www.warmfoundation.org/mission
- WARM Launch Press Release: http://www.warmfoundation.org/news/2013-04-08-warm-launch-press-release
- War Reporters Network Launches in Sarajevo, BIRN: http://www.warmfoundation.org/news/war-reporters-network-launches-in-sarajevo-denis-dzidic-balkan-insight-birn
- The WARM Foundation: Telling the Story of Modern War, The Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kj-wetherholt/the-warm-foundation_b_3857148.html
- Telling their Story: Reflections on War, PCRC blog: http://p-crc.org/telling-their-story-reflections-on-war/
- The First World WARM Festival: http://www.warmfoundation.org/warm-festival-2014
- Libyan Rebels Fly to Bosnia to see Revolution Film, AP: http://www.warmfoundation.org/news/libyan-rebels-fly-to-bosnia-to-see-revolution-film-ap
- WARM Festival 2015: http://www.warmfoundation.org/warm-festival-2015
- Telling their story: reflections on war, Insight on Conflict : http://www.insightonconflict.org/2015/05/telling-their-story-reflections-on-war/
- WARM Review: http://www.warmfoundation.org/warm-review
- Editorial, WARM Review #1: http://www.remyourdan.com/otherworks/2015-06-warm-review-1/
- The Siege: http://www.remyourdan.com/the-siege/
- The Siege, Agat Films & Cie: http://www.agatfilmsetcie.com/fiche-film_en.php?id=682
- The Siege (press review) : http://www.remyourdan.com/the-siege/press/
- Bayeux Award for War Correspondents 2000: http://www.remyourdan.com/news/2000-10-21-la-guerre-oubliee-de-sierra-leone-prix-bayeux-des-correspondants-de-guerre-2000/
- Bayeux Award for War Correspondents 2012: http://www.remyourdan.com/news/2012-10-13-les-damnes-de-juarez-prix-bayeux-calvados-des-correspondants-de-guerre-2012/
- Mexique, Les damnés de Juarez, Le Monde, 2012: http://www.lemonde.fr/ameriques/article_archive/2012/02/23/les-damnes-de-juarez_1778248_3222.html
- FIPA: http://www.fipa.tv/fipa/uploads/Fipa_palmares-2016_def_ENG_site.pdf
- The Siege Gold FIPA 2016: http://www.remyourdan.com/news/2016-01-23-le-siege-fipa-d-or-2016/