||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014)|
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
|Genres||R&B, neo soul, blue-eyed soul|
|Labels||Motown, Universal Music|
Shand was born to parents Jeremy Shand and Ana Olsson. His father was of English descent and his mother was of Swedish descent. Primarily home-schooled in Winnipeg, Shand began raiding his parents record collection at an early age -- soaking up a wide range of jazz, soul, and R&B, with Marvin Gaye's classic Here, My Dear having a profound influence on his musical direction. Dropping out of high school to study and pursue music full-time, Shand played as a session musician and was a member of various experimental groups until he decided to focus a solo career.
In 1998, he began to write and record the songs that would later become The Way I Feel. Three years later he was signed to Motown Records. "The Way I Feel" was released on March 12, 2002, and won a Juno Award for Best R&B/Soul Recording in the 2003 Juno Awards. Other than being successful in Canada, he managed to sell roughly 500,000 albums in the U.S. Shand received four Grammy nominations for his work.
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions||Certifications
|The Way I Feel||1||39||15|
- "Take a Message" (2002), Universal
- "The Way I Feel" (2002), Universal
- "Rocksteady" (2002), Universal
- "Where Are We Going" (2013), Remy Records
- "The Best In Me" (2014), Remy Records
- "Son Of Night" (2014), Remy Records
- "Politicians" (2014), Remy Records
Awards and nominations
Juno Awards
|2003||The Way I Feel||Best R&B/Soul Recording||Won|
Grammy Awards
|2003||The Way I Feel||Best R&B Album||Nominated|
|2003||"The Way I Feel"||Best R&B Vocal Performance - Male||Nominated|
|2003||"The Way I Feel"||Best R&B Song||Nominated|
|2003||"Rocksteady"||Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance||Nominated|
- "File Details: FD06-01-79576". Court of Queen's Bench of Manitoba. 2006-03-03 to 2008-11-19. Retrieved 2008-12-16. Check date values in:
- Allmusic peaks
- http://www.musiccanada.com/GPSearchResult.aspx?st=&ica=False&sa=Remy%20Shand&sl=&smt=0&sat=-1&ssb=Artist Gold & Platinum search database
- Ehrlich, Dimitri (1 August 2002). "Remy Shand: meet the new soul singer with motown in his heart and Winnipeg in his accent.". Interview (Brant Publications, Inc.). Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- Moon, Tom (22 February 2002). "Remy Shand: a protege with the classic sound, if not the look.". The Philadelphia Inquirer (via Knight-Ridder/Tribune News Service). Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- Dimitrakopoulos, Sandra (February 25, 2003). "The way Remy Shand feels about music". Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- remyshandworld.com – Official web site
- Remy Shand at the Internet Movie Database
- Remy Shand on Twitter
- Remy Records on Facebook
- Remy Records on Tumblr
- Remy Shand on YouTube
- Everlasting: A Tribute to Remy Shand