9 December 1954 |
Jindřichův Hradec, Czechoslovakia
|Height||1.68 m (5 ft 6 in)|
|Highest ranking||No. 22|
|Grand Slam Singles results|
|Australian Open||F (1976)|
|French Open||F (1976)|
|Wimbledon||3R (1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1981)|
|US Open||4R (1980)|
|Grand Slam Doubles results|
|Australian Open||W (1978)|
|French Open||SF (1974, 1975, 1976, 1980)|
|US Open||3R (1979, 1980)|
|Grand Slam Mixed Doubles results|
|French Open||W (1978)|
|US Open||2R (1978, 1980)|
|Fed Cup||W (1975)|
Tomanová won the girls' singles title at the 1972 French Open.
In 1975 she and Martina Navratilova represented Czechoslovakia in the Federation Cup, the international women's team competition. They won the cup after beating the Australian team 3–0 in the final of the World Group. Between 1975 and 1981 she played in 18 ties for the Czechoslovakian team and compiled a 20–7 win-loss record. In May 1975 she won the singles title at the West German Championships in Hamburg after a close three-set final against Kazuko Sawamatsu. In 1976, Tomanová reached the singles final at both the French Open and the Australian Open. She lost at the French Open to Sue Barker 6–2, 0–6, 6–2 and at the Australian Open to Evonne Goolagong Cawley 6–2, 6–2. Tomanová also reached the women's doubles final at the Australian Open with her partner Lesley Turner Bowrey, where they lost to Goolagong and Helen Gourlay Cawley.
In May 1977 she reached the final of the Italian Open in which she was defeated in straight sets by Janet Newberry. In 1978, Tomanová teamed with Betsy Nagelsen to win the women's doubles title at the Australian Open, defeating Naoko Sato and Pam Whytcross in the final 7–5, 6–2. With compatriot Pavel Složil she won the mixed doubles title at the 1978 French Open when their opponents retired after the first set.
At the Wimbledon Championships she reached the third round in the singles event on five occasions as well as once in the doubles. In 1979 she reached the quarterfinal of the mixed doubles event with John Marks.
- Senior tour
Tomanová is active on the senior tour and in 2011 received an award ("Deutsche Tennis Preis") from the German tennis federation (DTB) for her achievements over the 2010 season.
Grand Slam finals
Singles (2 runners-up)
|Runner-up||1976||Australian Open||Grass||Evonne Goolagong||2–6, 2–6|
|Runner-up||1976||French Open||Clay||Sue Barker||2–6, 6–0, 2–6|
Women's doubles: 2 (1 title, 1 runner-up)
|Runner-up||1976||Australian Open||Grass||Lesley Turner Bowrey|| Evonne Goolagong
|Winner||1978||Australian Open||Grass||Betsy Nagelsen|| Naoko Sato
Mixed doubles: 2 (1 title, 1 runner-up)
|Winner||1978||French Open||Clay||Pavel Složil|| Virginia Ruzici
|Runner-up||1980||French Open||Clay||Stanislav Birner|| Anne Smith
|6–2, 4–6, 6–8|
Grand Slam singles tournament timeline
|Australian Open||A||A||A||F||A||A||QF||SF||2R||1R||2R||A||A||A||NH||0 / 6|
|French Open||3R||1R||3R||F||QF||2R||QF||1R||2R||2R||1R||LQ||LQ||A||0 / 11|
|Wimbledon||1R||2R||3R||3R||3R||3R||1R||1R||3R||2R||1R||LQ||A||A||0 / 11|
|US Open||A||A||1R||3R||2R||3R||2R||4R||3R||1R||1R||A||LQ||A||0 / 9|
|SR||0 / 2||0 / 2||0 / 3||0 / 4||0 / 3||0 / 4||0 / 4||0 / 4||0 / 4||0 / 4||0 / 3||0 / 0||0 / 0||0 / 0||0 / 37|
|Year End Ranking||44||48||24||38||44||48||56||85||146||264||217||346|
SR = the ratio of the number of Grand Slam singles tournaments won to the number of those tournaments played.
Note: The Australian Open was held twice in 1977, in January and December.
- Bostic, Stephanie, ed. (1979). USTA Player Records 1978. United States Tennis Association (USTA). p. 257.
- "Fed Cup – 1975 World Group final". www.fedcup.com. ITF.
- John Barrett, ed. (1976). World of Tennis '76 : a BP and Commercial Union yearbook. London: Queen Anne Press. pp. 74–77. ISBN 9780362002768. OCLC 650229036.
- John Barrett, ed. (1977). World of Tennis 1977 : a BP yearbook. London: Macdonald and Janes. pp. 34,38,114. ISBN 9780354090117.
- "Edmonson, Goolagong Win Aussie Tennis Open". Observer-Reporter. Google news. Jan 5, 1976.
- John Barrett, ed. (1978). World of Tennis 1978 : a BP yearbook. London: Macdonald and Janes. pp. 146–147. ISBN 9780354090391.
- John Barrett, ed. (1979). World of Tennis 1979 : a BP yearbook. London: Macdonald and Jane's. p. 75. ISBN 978-0354090681.
- "Wimbledon players archive – Renata Tomanova-Roth (Tomanova)". www.wimbledon.com. AELTC.
- John Barrett, ed. (1980). World of Tennis 1980 : a BP yearbook. London: Queen Anne Press. p. 347. ISBN 9780362020120. OCLC 237184610.
- "DTB-Preis unterm Christbaum". www.merkur-online.de (in German). 3 January 2011.