8 May 1930|
|Died||28 November 2000(aged 70)|
|Occupation||Photographer and writer|
|Parent(s)||René and Blanche|
René Maltête (1930–2000) was a French photographer and poet.
He started taking pictures at 16; his first camera was a Pontiac 6×9.[n 1] In 1951 he went to Paris to become an assistant director, and in 1952, he started working with Jacques Tati, Claude Barma and René Wheeler. Times were tough, and from this point until 1973 he would have to do a great variety of menial work to survive in addition to his profession.
In 1958, he integrated the Rapho picture agency.
In 1960, his first book Paris des rues et des chansons was published, after many rejections by other prospective publishers. With text by Jacques Prévert, Boris Vian, Georges Brassens, Charles Trenet, and Pierre Mac Orlan, it came out in three editions, and 35,000 copies were sold. Other books would follow.
Photographer, poet, humorist, early ecologist, Maltête captured amusing situations in everyday life. Funny, poetic and tender, his pictures were published in numerous magazines worldwide (Asahi Camera, Camera, Epoca, Life, Look, Paris-Match, Popular Photography, Punch, Stern), and many exhibitions contributed to popularize his work.
René Maltête died on 8 November 2000.
His pictures are based on incongruity and surprise: humor is always present, but more than just a picture, there is often a philosophical dimension.
|Some of René Maltête's pictures|
- Paris des rues et des chansons. Paris: Éditions Port-royal, 1960. Paris: Pierre Bordas, 1995. ISBN 2-86311-268-6.
- Au petit bonheur, la France. Paris: Hachette, 1965.
- Intervention à coeur ouvert : Petits poèmes. Paris: Éditions Grassin, 1962. Poems and photographs.
- Graines pour les sans jardin : Propos comme ça.... Éditions Firmin-Didot, 1980. ISBN 2-904540-00-8.
- Scribouillages. Plessier, 1985. Poems and photographs
- Cent poèmes pour la paix. Paris: Éditions Le Cherche Midi, 1987. ISBN 2-86274-106-X. (Preface by Bernard Clavel, cover by Roland Topor.)
- Cent poèmes pour l'écologie : Anthologie. Paris: Éditions Le Cherche Midi, 1991. ISBN 2-86274-193-0. (Preface by Hubert Reeves.)
- À quoi ça rime ? [Le Mans]: Éditions Donner à voir, 1995. ISBN 2-909640-10-8. Poems and photographs
- La barbe à papa : textes. Paris: Le Sémaphore, 1999. ISBN 2-912283-30-2. Maltête contributes the photographs to this book by José Millas-Martin.
- Des yeux plein les poches. Grenoble: Éditions Glénat, 2003. ISBN 2-7234-4248-9.
- Michèle Auer and Michel Auer, Encyclopédie internationale des photographes de 1839 à nos jours / Photographers Encyclopaedia International 1839 to the Present (Hermance: Editions Camera Obscura, 1985), s.v. "René Maltête".