This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Cardinal, Bishop Emeritus of Novara|
|Church||Roman Catholic Church|
|Diocese||Diocese of Novara|
|In office||19 December 1990 to 24 November 2011|
|Other posts||Cardinal-Priest of San Giovanni a Porta Latina|
|Ordination||28 July 1959|
by Giovanni Battista Montini (later Pope Paul VI)
|Consecration||6 June 1981|
by Carlo Maria Martini
|Created cardinal||19 November 2016|
by Pope Francis
|Born||1 March 1936|
Galbiate, Province of Lecco, Italy
|Motto||Cor ad cor loquitur|
(Heart speaks to Heart)
|Coat of arms|
Ordination history of
|Reference style||His Eminence|
|Spoken style||Your Eminence|
Renato Corti (born 1 March 1936) is an Italian cardinal and prelate of the Roman Catholic Church. He was Bishop of Novara from 1990 to 2011. Pope Francis raised Corti to the rank of cardinal at a consistory on 19 November 2016.
Renato Corti was born in Galbiate in the province of Lecco, part of the Archdiocese of Milan on 1 March 1936. He studied at the seminary in Milan and was ordained on 28 July 1959 by Cardinal Giovanni Battista Montini (later Pope Paul VI). His assignments included serving as parrochial vicar of the Oratory of Caronno Pertusella from 19959 to 1967, spiritual director at the College of Gorla Minore from 1967 to 1969, spiritual director of the archdiocesan seminary of Saronno from 1969 to 1977. He then became rector for theology at that seminary. He became vicar general of the Milan Archdiocese in November 1980.
Pope John Paul II named him auxiliary bishop of the Archdiocese of Milan on 30 April 1981 and titular bishop of Zallata. He received his episcopal ordination on 6 June 1981 from Archbishop Carlo Maria Martini, with Bishops Libero Tresoldi and Bernardo Citterio as co-consecrators. The same pope named him Bishop of Novara on 19 December 1990 to succeed Aldo Del Monte, and he was installed on 3 March 1991.
In November 2007, a few months after Pope Benedict XVI issued rules about the use of the Tridentine Mass, three priests in the Novara diocese refused to celebrate Sunday Mass if they were not allowed to use the traditional Tridentine form exclusively. Corti suspended them.
While Bishop of Novara he served terms as vice president of the Italian Bishops Conference (2000 to 2005) and vice president of the Regional Bishops Conference of Piedmont. He also held assignments in the Roman Curia as a member of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches and the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples.
Pope Benedict XVI accept his resignation as bishop of Novara on 24 November 2011. In retirement he has continued to lead spiritual exercises for both religious and lay groups. He lives at Rho, near the college of the Oblates of St. Ambrose and St. Charles.
Corti is known for his work as a spiritual director. Pope John Paul II asked him to lead his Lenten retreat in 2005 and at the invitation of Pope Francis he wrote the meditations used at the Stations of the Cross at Rome's Colosseum in 2015.
Pope Francis raised Corti to the rank of cardinal at a consistory held on 19 November 2016. Having passed the age of 80, Corti is not eligible to participate in a papal conclave. He was given the rank of Cardinal-Priest and assigned the titular church of San Giovanni a Porta Latina.
- La direzione spirituale oggi, with Giovanni Moioli (1998)
- Il miracolo sarebbe la santità. Meditazioni sul ministero sacerdotale (1999)
- Un giovane diventa cristiano. L'esperienza di Sant'Agostino. Lettera pastorale per l'anno 2003-2004 (2003)
- La Chiesa a servizio della nuova ed eterna alleanza. Esercizi spirituali in Vaticano (2005)
- La parrocchia, with Enzo Bianchi (2005)
- Rivestitevi di Cristo Eucaristia e Parola di Dio: la sorgente e l'alimento della maturità cristiana (2007)
- Fate quello che egli vi dirà. Vivere da cristiani nel mondo (2008)
- Owen, Richard (9 June 2008). "First parish to offer Mass in the Tridentine rite opens in Rome". The Times. Retrieved 21 December 2010.
- "Italian bishop suspends priests for insisting on Latin Mass". CatholicCulture. 26 November 2007. Retrieved 21 December 2010.
- "Diventa cardinale l'ex vescovo di Novara Renato Corti". La Stampa (in Italian). 10 October 2016. Retrieved 18 November 2016.
- Glatz, Carol (20 March 2015). "Way of Cross takes Jesus' point of view to help others carry crosses". Catholic News Service. Retrieved 18 November 2016.
- "Way of the Cross Led by His Holiness Pope Francis". Office for the Liturgical Celebrations of the Supreme Pontiff. 3 April 2015. Retrieved 18 November 2016.
- "Il vescovo di Novara Renato Corti è diventato cardinale". La Stampa (in Italian). 19 November 2016. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "Corti Card. Renato". Holy See Press Office. Archived from the original on 4 September 2017. Retrieved 24 October 2017.
- Pelizzoni, Chiara (12 October 2016). "Renato Corti, Il Pastore Appassionato Diventa Cardinale" (in Italian). Retrieved 24 October 2017.
|Catholic Church titles|
Aldo Del Monte
| Bishop of Novara
19 December 1990—24 November 2011
Franco Giulio Brambilla
| Cardinal Priest of San Giovanni a Porta Latina
19 November 2016