Renault India Private Limited
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Renault India Pvt Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of Renault S.A., France and currently offers five models in the Indian market: the premium sedan Scala, the SUV Duster, the compact MPV Lodgy, the premium compact car, Pulse and the latest budget car, Kwid. Renault India also exports the Duster to a growing number of right-hand drive markets.
Renault cars are manufactured at the manufacturing facility located in Oragadam, Chennai, with a capacity of 480,000 units pa with 3 shifts per day.
In February 2008, Renault-Nissan Alliance signed Memorandum of Understanding with Government of Tamil Nadu to set up a manufacturing plant in Oragadam near Chennai. Work on the plant began in June later that year and was completed in a record 21 months. Renault Design India, the first vehicle design studio set up by a foreign manufacturer in India, was established in Mumbai in September 2008. The design house is integral to Renault’s success in India as one of its functions is to monitor customer trends and customise global products for India. At the end of 2015, Renault has approximately 200 dealerships across India, from only 14 in 2012.
Renault received more awards in one year than any of its market competirors. Since 2012, the Renault Duster received 29 awards in India and the Renault company 34 awards.
- Indian Car of the Year (ICOTY): Duster, Car of the Year
- Autocar and Bloomberg TV: Duster, Car of the Year, Viewers’ Choice, and SUV of the Year
- NDTV: Duster, Car of the Year and Compact SUV of the Year; Scala, Creative TV Commercial of the Year; Pulse, Premium Hatch of the Year; and Renault India, Car Manufacturer of the Year
- Top Gear: Duster, Compact SUV of the Year and Readers’ Choice for the BBC and Times of India
- Car India: Duster, SUV of the Year
- Overdrive and CNBC-TV 18: Duster, Compact SUV of the Year
- Vicky.in, Motor Vikatan (Chennai) and Team BHP: Duster, Car of the Year
- Zigwheels and Economic Times: Duster, Car of the Year, Readers’ Choice and entry-level SUV of the Year
- AutoJunction.in: Duster, Car of the Year and Utility Vehicle of the Year; Renault Pulse, SuperMini of the Year; Renault Scala, Mid-size Sedan of the Year
In September 2008, Renault India opened its fifth global vehicle design studio in Mumbai.
In March 2010, Renault India and Nissan India opened a production facility in Chennai. Established with an initial investment of Rs 45 billion (US$750 million), the plant has a combined annual capactity to produce 480,000 vehicles.
As of September 2015, Renault India has 175 dealerships in 16 cities across 9 states and 2 Union Territories, targeting 210 outlets at the end of 2015. It fastely expanded to 190 dealerships in December 2015, thanks to the Renault Kwid success. Renault has also developed an innovative approach with some virtual showrooms and some specific phone App.
In 2014, aside from the launch of the all-new Fluence and Koleos, Renault also launched the Duster Adventure Edition.
Renault launched Lodgy, its compact MPV in Delhi on 9 April 2015. Renault also unveiled its first sub Rs 4 lakh segment car Kwid SUV (earlier codenamed XBA) fully developed in India by Gérard Detourbet and his French and Indian team, from 2012. The press measured that the Kwid is the best in class on interior space, boot, mileage, and offers some features usually associate with cars in the premium segment of the Indian market, like USB, Bluetooth, music, AC, power steering, air bags, GPS navigation. The Renault Kwid is available since October 2015, near the pre-festive season (before Diwali). The Renault Kwid received a surprising amount of 50,000 bookings in the first 5 weeks, then 70,000 in 2 months, getting 10% of effective market shares in its segment.
Renault later discontinued sales of Fluence and Koleos in end-2016. The company will launch the crossover SUV Kaptur in the last quarter of 2017.
- Renault-Nissan Alliance signs Memorandum of Understanding with Government of Tamil Nadu to set up a manufacturing plant in Oragadam near Chennai
- The Renault DeSign Studio opened in Mumbai. It is one of the 5 satellite global design studios for Renault, monitoring customer trends and helping customize global products for India.
- Launch of International Logistics Network (ILN) in Pune handling components sourced from Indian suppliers for all Renault-Nissan Alliance production plants worldwide, in particular South Africa & Brazil.
- Inauguration of the Renault-Nissan Alliance manufacturing facility in Chennai (investment of Rs. 4500 crores with a capacity to produce 480,000 cars per year).
- Renault launches its first car in India, the Fluence.
- Renault – Nissan Alliance manufacturing facility rolls out its 100,000th car.
- All new Koleos global launch in India.
- Announcement of localization of the Renault K9K diesel engine.
- K9K powered Renault Pulse unveiled at the 2011 Indian Grand Prix by Formula1 drivers Mark Webber and Karun Chandok.
- Renault launches the Pulse and unveils the Duster at the New Delhi Auto Expo 2012.
- Renault Scala launched in New Delhi.
- Renault encourages employee engagement, wins the 'Inter-corporate competition RED 2012' along with team of partners Nissan, RNAIPL & RNTBCI.
- Inauguration of the new warehouse for the Renault Alliance International Parts Center (IPC) in Pune, earlier working since 2008 as ILN (see above).
- Renault launched the Gang Of Dusters, the official community for Duster owners.
- Since the launch of the brand in early 2011, Renault has won over 43 awards till date. The Renault Duster alone receiving 29 awards, and as previously envisaged it was a game-changer for Renault & pioneered a new segment of crossover SUV at low-to-medium cost in the Indian auto sector.
- Inauguration of the new warehouse for the Renault Alliance International Parts Center (IPC) in Chennai as a part of expansion.
- Renault reaches landmark of 100,000 cars on Indian roads in less than 3 years of operation in India.
- Looking to make its mark in the hatchback segment, Renault India on Thursday 24 September 2015 launched the Kwid at a starting price of Rs 2.56 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi). The most expensive variant of the car costs Rs 3.53 lakh(ex-showroom). The Renault Kwid has better features than any of its competitors.
The Kwid, based on the CMF-A platform, measures 3,679 mm in length, 1,579 mm in width, 1,478 mm in height and 2,422 mm in wheelbase. It has a ground clearance of 180 mm and a fuel tank capacity of 28 litre.
Features seen on the top-end variant include power steering, AC, front power windows, foglights, keyless entry and central locking, a 7-inch touchscreen MediaNAV system with Bluetooth, USB, AUX-in, an optional driver airbag and some design customisations.
- An updated version of the Duster is launched in October 2015.
Renault has partnered with ICICI bank in a major marketing led cross promotional campaign that will allow the bank's database to interact with Renault and its cars.
Renault India' Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) program commenced in 2013, focussing on education and road safety. It partnered with Linc Pen & Plastics Ltd for SPELLINC. The program started in September 2013 and ran until December across 8 cities (Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore, Ahmadabad, Jamshedpur and Ranchi) with a total of 1000 schools participating. The training module on road safety has been developed to be fun and interactive. It involved stage acts, singing and discussions with the students. The whole point of the operation is not only to reach students but to convert them into Road Safety ambassadors spreading the message to their schoolmates, friends and relatives.
Tour De India
Renault India supported the Tour De India 2013, a cycling event held for the first time in 2012. The organizers are also strongly committed to promoting cycling as an alternative mobility solution to reduce carbon footprint. Tour de India 2013 was held in December with 3 races involving both competitive and entertaining cycling. Renault India was the Official Automobile Partner for the event, providing cars for the lead convoy, for the cycling teams and the Tour de India fleet in charge of recording the event.
Renault sponsored a cricket series between India and Sri Lanka and Virat Kohli won the Man of the Series Award – a Renault Duster. The Indian cricket team was taken for a victory lap around the stadium with Mahendra Singh Dhoni behind the wheel of the Renault Duster. The entire cricket team was seen on the SUV while taking the victory lap.
Madras Café with John Abraham
Renault India formed a partnership with Renault Duster and John Abraham’s movie ‘Madras Café’.
Renault cars compete in the Formula 2000 category of the MRF Challenge. The 20 cars of the category are also powered by Renault Sport 2-litre engines. These 16-valve, 4-cylinder, 1998cc F4R 832 engines can produce a maximum power of 210 bhp at 6,500rpm and maximum torque of 220 Nm at 5500rpm.
F1 Caterham Paint Shop
The Renault workshop at Noida received a special assignment during the 2013 Airtel Indian Grand Prix, painting two Caterham F1® chassis before the Grand Prix. This routine procedure is usually completed in Europe but logistical challenges made it easier for it to be carried out in India instead.
Autocar Performance Show
Renault India participated in the Autocar Performance Show held at the MMRDA Grounds, Bandra Kurla Complex, Mumbai. It is the third time that the Renault brand was represented in the show. This event is organized by the leading Automobile magazine Autocar and features the most powerful and expensive cars and bikes available in the country as well as accessories and performance enhancing parts.
Limca Record – Renault Scala’s Mileage Run
The Renault Scala broke the Limca record for the highest fuel economy achieved in India using a stock car by achieving a real world economy of 54.15 km/l in an un-modified Renault Scala diesel sedan. The car covered the 62.28 km distance using only 1.24 litres, achieving a fuel economy of 54.15 km/l, which is 250.26% over ARAI certified figure. The distance was covered in 76 minutes.
- PTI. "Renault set to launch new version of ‘Kwid’". The Hindu. Retrieved 2017-03-09.
- The Renault Nissan Alliance inaugurates plant in Chennai, India
- "Renault opens 190th dealership in India". International Business Times. 24 November 2015. Retrieved 19 October 2015.
The company now has 52 showrooms in South India, besides 37 service-only outlets. Renault plans to open 240 dealerships and service facilities in India by 2016.
- "Renault Duster bags most awards in India". FT daily. Retrieved 19 October 2015.
Renault India has received an unprecedented number of honours from the local media”, including being voted “Car Manufacturer of the Year”, while “Duster has been named Car of the Year by most Indian media
- Renault Design Studio Inaugurated in Mumbai
- Chowdhury, Anirban (8 September 2011). "Renault Introduces Koleos SUV in India". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- "Renault Milestones in India". Renault India Private Limited. Retrieved 9 September 2011.
- "Renault Kwid receives over 25,000 bookings within 2 weeks since launch, over 40% of buyers are below 28 y.o". The Economic Times of India. 7 October 2015. Retrieved 19 October 2015.
The Renault Kwid is "sold across 175 outlets across the country (which will be expanded 210 before the end of 2015), the company had experimented with a product specific App and virtual showrooms to reach out to the customers where there are no showrooms. The company claims that over 2,30,000 people have downloaded the Kwid App, which enables the consumer to not only understand the product better but also making a booking through an App."
- Find Renault Dealers
- "5 reasons why Renault Kwid will be a game changer". The Economic Times of India. 7 October 2015. Retrieved 19 October 2015.
a mileage of 25.17kmpl, which is not just the best-in-class... At 300 litres, Renault Kwid once again takes the lead in its segment. The Kwid also has the best-in-class length at 3,679mm and width at 1,579 mm, which means better interior space, legroom, and headroom... Kwid is the best choice with a class-leading ground clearance of 180mm... Renault surprised the industry with an aggressive price tag starting at Rs 2.26 lakh...
- "Renault India gets over 50,000 bookings for small car Kwid". The Economic Times of India. 30 October 2015. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- "Renault India Registers 144% Growth in November". The Economic Times of India. 1 December 2015. Retrieved 5 December 2015.
Renault Kwid has received about 70,000 bookings. Word also has it that the Renault Kwid has already grabbed 10% share in the entry-level hatchback segment.
- "Renault design studio inaugurated in Mumbai". Renault India.
- "Renault Unveils Micra-Based Pulse Supermini for the Indian Market". Retrieved on 1 November 2011.
- "Renault plans big for India, to launch Pulse, Duster by December". The Economic Times,6 Jan 2012.
- "Renault announces 'Gang of Dusters' initiative". Autocar India, 16 August 2013.
- "Renault Duster Adventure edition returns; priced from Rs 9.64 lakh". The Hindu. Retrieved 2017-03-09.
- "LINC PENS Presents Renault Spelling Word Cracking". Retrieved from Projects Jugaad.
- "SPELLINC 2014 -Chennai Finals". Retrieved from PSBB Schools.
- "Godrej Eon Tour De India". Retrieved on 13 November 2013.