|Public (LSE: RSW)|
|Headquarters||Wotton-under-Edge, Gloucestershire, UK|
|Sir David McMurtry, Chairman
John Deer, Deputy Chairman
|Revenue||£355.5 million (2014)|
|£70.4 million (2014)|
|£85.7 million (2014)|
The Company was founded by Sir David McMurtry and John Deer in 1973. McMurtry had needed to measure fuel pipes on a prototype jet engine: at the time, coordinate-measuring machine sensors featured rigid styli, which required manual positioning on the surface and which yielded poor repeatability when measuring delicate components. To meet this need, McMurtry invented a touch-trigger probe device, which he then patented. The probe featured an elegant 'kinematic' location for a spring-loaded stylus, providing a highly repeatable seated position for the stylus combined with the compliance needed to measure such components.
Renishaw was first listed on the London Stock Exchange in 1983.
In 2010 Renishaw bought a stake (and subsequently took complete control) of Measuring Devices Ltd, a company providing a range of services in the field of surveying equipment.
The company's strategy has been to grow organically sustained by patented innovations. The company's product portfolio has since expanded into touch probes for CNC machine tools, calibration systems that optimise the performance of CNC machinery, linear encoder systems, rotary encoder systems, dental CAD/CAM systems, Raman spectroscopy and medical devices for functional neurosurgery applications.
Renishaw's main offices are situated in an old mill from the industrial revolution, with several new buildings on a 26-acre (110,000 m2) site. It is a nature oriented site, with dozens of birds (including ducks and peacocks) and a large lake. The site is also close to the village of Charfield.
The company has a machine shop located at Stonehouse, Gloucestershire, and an assembly facility at Woodchester, both near Stroud. There are further assembly facilities in Dublin (Ireland) and Pune (India). Renishaw also has research facilities located in Wotton-under-Edge, Edinburgh and Exeter.
- "Annual Report 2014" (PDF). Renishaw. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- Renishaw plc. "About Renishaw". renishaw.com. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- UK metrology firm buys precision styli maker Manufacturing Talk, 19 June 2006
- Engineering firm Renishaw cuts 500 jobs Guardian, 11 March 2009
- Gloucestershire engineering firm Renishaw recruiting BBC News, 23 June 2010
- Gloucestershire firm offers 125 jobs for young people BBC News, 10 December 2010
- "Laser Scanning Forum Ltd • View topic - Measurement Devices Ltd (MDL)". laserscanning.org.uk. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- Renishaw completes Bosch factory refurbishment Wales on line, 16 May 2012