Renmin University of China
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Motto in English
|Seeking truth from facts|
|President||Liu Wei (刘伟)|
|1,827 (January 2012)|
|Students||23,999 (January 2012)|
Renmin University of China; RUC (simplified Chinese: 中国人民大学; traditional Chinese: 中國人民大學; pinyin: Zhōngguó Rénmín Dàxué), colloquially Renda (Chinese: 人大; pinyin: Réndà), is a public research university located in the Haidian District of Beijing, China. Founded by the Communist Party of China, RUC possesses academic strengths in humanities and social sciences, and is regarded highly among Chinese universities.
The origins of Renmin University of China date back to the Shanbei Public School (T: 陝北公學, S: 陕北公学, P: Shǎnběi Gōngxué), established in 1937 by the Communist Party of China in order to "bring up hundreds of thousands of revolutionary comrades to meet the needs of the Anti-Japanese War." Later it was renamed as the North China United University and North China University. Several institutions were merged to form a single Renmin University of China in 1950. Wu Yuzhang, Cheng Fangwu, Guo Yingqiu, Yuan Baohua, Huang Da, Li Wenhai, Ji Baocheng, Chen Yulu had successively held the position of president. The current university president is Liu Wei.
Currently Renmin University consists of 23 schools, 13 research institutes and the graduate school, with 60 specialties for undergraduate, 8 specialties for the second-bachelor's degree students, 140 specialties for the master's degree candidates and 92 specialties for the Doctor's degree candidates. Renmin University is entitled 25 national key disciplines, ranks No.5 of China, 13 national key research bases of humanities and social sciences, ranks No.1 of China, and 6 national teaching and research bases of fundamental arts disciplines, ranks No.1 of China.
The University library has 2.5 million holdings, and is recognized as the Information Center of Arts Literatures by the Ministry of Education. The new library building opened in the second half of 2011. The Renmin University of China Press is one of the most famous publishers and the first university press in China which has published a large number of academic works in humanities and social sciences.
Renmin University has established its communications with 125 universities and research institutions of 32 countries and regions, which enables the University to be the center of academic and cultural communications between China and foreign countries. Many famous scholars have given lectures or attended special seminars in Renmin University, including the Nobel Prize in Economics winners Robert Mundell, Joseph E. Stiglitz, Michael Spence, John Forbes Nash, Edmund S. Phelps，Myron Scholes and Reinhard Selten.
Renmin University of China is one of the leading humanities and social science-focused universities in China, gaining national recognition for excellence in theoretical economics, applied economics, legal studies, sociology, and journalism & communication. According to the evaluation report of Ministry of Education of China, Renmin University's Law School, School of Finance, School of Economics, School of Sociology and Population Studies, School of Journalism rank top one among China's universities. Generally speaking Renmin University is considered as one of the best places for social science students in China.
Schools and departments
- The School of Agricultural Economics & Rural Development
- The School of Arts
- The School of Business
- The School of Chinese Classics
- The School of Continuing Education
- The School of [[Economics]]]
- The School of Education
- The School of Environment & Natural Resources
- The School of Finance
- The School of Foreign Languages
- Department of English Studies
- Department of French Studies
- Department of German Studies
- Department of Japanese Studies
- Department of Russian Studies
- The School of History
- The School of Information
- The School of Information Resource Management
- The School of International Studies
- The School of Journalism
- The School of Labor and Human Resources
- The School of Law
- The School of Literary Studies
- The School of Marxism Studies
- The School of Teaching Chinese as Foreign Language
- The School of Philosophy
- The School of Public Administration and Policy
- The School of Statistics
- The School of Sociology & Population Studies
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Social Work
- Department of Demography
- The School of Science
- The Institute of Qing History
- Sino–French Institute
Rural Reconstruction Center of Renmin University
Rural Reconstruction Center of Renmin University was established in 2005 and is based in Beijing, China. Its main mission is to explore the theory and practice of rural reconstruction. It partakes in fair trade advocacy and coordinating urban and rural green energy initiatives as well as the promotion of fair education.
Renmin University of China currently possesses two active campus, one campus under construction and one former campus.
- Renmin University main campus is located at No.59 Zhongguancun Street, Haidian district, and is less than 5–10 minutes drive away from other top schools in the nation, such as Peking University, Tsinghua University, Beijing Institute of Technology and Beijing Foreign Studies University. It is also only less than 10 minutes away from the Old Summer Palace and Summer Palace. Most schools, departments and institute are currently located at the Beijing campus. The English Corner at Renmin University is very famous in Beijing. Every Friday evening, people gather at the Qiushi Garden near the east gate to practice English. It is a good place to meet and communicate with the students of the university and the common people of China. Besides, Renmin University is host to about 1,165 international students at present and many of the students are from South Korea. There are so many South Korean students that the International Students Dining Room has a separate Korean menu aside from their traditional Chinese menu.
- Renmin University of China has a secondary campus located in Suzhou Industrial Park, in the South-eastern province of Jiangsu. It is home to the RUC Sino-French Institute (IFC Renmin) and its 900 Chinese and international students. Besides, a number of Chinese and sino-foreign Master-level programs from several RUC faculties are also located on the same grounds under the supervision of RUC International College. RUC Suzhou campus is part of the Suzhou Dushu Lake Higher Education Town, together with other international Sino-Foreign oriented graduate and post-graduate schools such as Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool university or the Southeast University-Monash University Joint Graduate School.
- Renmin University of China is currently building its future new main campus in the Tongzhou district, currently named "Eastern Campus", to the east of Beijing central area. It will be located in the same town as the soon-to-be relocated Beijing municipal government facilities. Completion date is expected by the end of year 2017.
- The former main campus of Renmin University of China is located East to the Forbidden City, in the Dongcheng district. Although it still belongs to the university, it is no longer used for educational purposes.
- Huang Da (黄达) - Professor Emeritus, School of Finance; President, Renmin University of China (1991-1994).
- Jin Canrong (金灿荣) - Professor, School of International Studies.
- Liu Xiaofeng (刘小枫) - Professor, School of Liberal Arts
- Mao Shoulong (毛寿龙) - Professor, School of Public Administration.
- Pan Suiming (潘绥明) - Professor, School of Sociology and Population Studies, renowned scholar of sexology.
- Shi Yinhong (时殷宏) - Professor, School of International Studies, see zh:时殷弘
- Song Xinning (宋新宁) - Jean Monnet Professor, School of International Studies.
- Wang Liming (王利明) - Professor and former dean (2005–09), School of Law, renowned scholar of civil law.
- Wen Tiejun (温铁军) - Professor and dean, School of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- Wu Xiaoqiu (吴晓求) - Professor, School of Finance.
- Yang Ruilong (杨瑞龙) - Professor and dean, School of Economics.
- Zeng Xianyi (曾宪义) - Professor Emeritus and former dean (1990-2005), School of Law, renowned scholar of legal history.
- Zhang Ming (张鸣) - Professor, School of International Studies.
- Zhou Xiaozheng (周孝正) - Professor, School of Sociology and Population Studies.
- Liu Yu (刘瑜) - Political scientist at Tsinghua University, author of national bestseller "Details of Democracy." Liu earned PhD from Columbia University, conducted postdoctoral work at Harvard and taught at Cambridge University for three years.
- Qian Liqun (钱理群) - Professor, Department of Chinese Language and Literature, Peking University.
- Wu Shuqing (吴树青) - President of Peking University (1989-1996), economist.
- Zheng Wentong (郑文通) - Associate Professor, University of Florida Levin College of Law. Zheng earned PhD in economics and JD from Stanford University.
- Zhou Qiren (周其仁) - Economist (PhD, UCLA), Director of the National School of Development (previously known as the Chinese Center for Economic Research, CCER), Peking University.
Law and politics
- Han Xu (韩叙) - Ambassador to the United States (1985-1989).
- Liu Yandong (刘延东) - Current highest-ranking female politician in China, and the only woman with a seat on the Politburo.
- Ma Kai (马凯) - Chairman of the National Development and Reform Commission (2003-2008).
- Xiao Yang (肖扬) - Chief Justice of the Supreme People's Court (1998-2003, 2003-2008).
- Wang Ju-hsuan - Minister of Council of Labor Affairs of the Republic of China (2008-2012).
Business and media
- Duan Yongping (段永平) - entrepreneur and investor, founder of Subor (English: Xiao Ba Wang; Chinese: 小霸王; Pinyin: Xiǎo Bàwáng) and BBK (Bu Bu Gao; Chinese: 步步高, Pinyin: Bù Bù Gāo). Duan and his wife Liu Xin donated US $30 million to Renmin University in March 2010.
- Hu Shuli (胡舒立) - Founder and editor-in-chief of the prestigious business magazine, Caijing the most powerful and popular financial magazine.
- Liu Lefei (刘乐飞) - Chairman, Citic Private Equity Funds Management.
- Pan Gongsheng (潘功胜) - Executive Vice President, Agricultural Bank of China. Pan led the AgBank's US$22.1 billion IPO (the largest IPO in the world) in 2010, and the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China's US$21.9 billion IPO (then world record) in 2006.
- Wang Qing (王庆) - Chief Economist, Morgan Stanley Greater China (2007- ).
- Xiang Junbo (项俊波) - Chairman, Agricultural Bank of China (2009- ).
- Xiao Gang (肖钢) - Chairman, Bank of China (2003- ).
- Yang Weiguang (杨伟光) - President, China Central Television (CCTV) (1991-1999).
- Zhang Lei (张磊) - Founder and President of Hillhouse Capital Management,donated $8,888,888 to School of Management,Yale at 2010.
- Liu Qiangdong (刘强东) - Founder and President of JD.com,the largest Chinese B2C e-commercial platform.
- Li Xueling (李学凌) - Founder and President of www.yy.com, YY is an online social entertainment platform that engages users through audio, video and text in a wide range of online group activities, such as music shows, live video streaming and multi-player gaming. With a capacity to support over one million participants concurrently, YY offers users a more immersive, interactive, enriching and engaging entertainment experience through its large social community.
- Wang Xiaobo (王小波)- Modern writer, popular and influential among China's youth. He is also the husband of Li Yinhe, renowned sociologist and sexologist.
- Zhang Jie (张洁) - Writer, graduated from RUC in 1960. Her work has won many prizes.
- James Veneris and Samuel David Hawkins - American soldiers in the Korean War who were captured by the North, then defected to China at the time of armistice.
- Guo Jingjing (郭晶晶) - 3m Springboard and Synchronized Springboard gold medals winner at the 2004 Summer Olympics
- Wang Junxia (王军霞) - Winner of a gold medal and a silver medal in woman's track in the 1996 Summer Olympics; record holder of the woman's 10000m from 1993 with a time of 29:31:78.
- Zeng Jinyan (曾金燕) - Human rights activist, one of the Time 100, 2007; wife of Hu Jia, recipient of the Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought in 2008.
- Zhang Zhixin (张志新) - Dissident imprisoned and executed for criticising the idolisation of Mao Zedong during the Cultural Revolution.
- Liang Yan - National Women's volleyball team member
- Dai Yi - Historian
- Lin Yue - Gold medalist, Olympian, 10m platform Diving
- Huo Liang - Gold medalist, Olympian, 10m Platform Diving
- Li Ting - Gold medalist, Olympian, 10m Platform Diving
- Peng Bo - Gold medalist, Olympian, 3m Springboard Diving
- Wu Minxia - Gold medalist, Olympian, 3m Sprinboard Diving
- Sang Xue - Gold medalist, Olympian, 10m platform Diving
- Robert S. Paywala - Asst. Coordinator, Research and Actuarial Department, National Social Security & Welfare Corporation, Republic of Liberia
Renmin University maintains collaborative relationships and exchange programs with many well-known universities around the world, such as Boston College Law School, Columbia University, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Princeton University, University of Geneva, McGill University, King's College London, Waseda University, Carleton University, the University of Chicago, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, and the University of Michigan and Yale University. In January 2010, Zhang Lei, a graduate of Renmin University and Yale School of Management (SOM), donated US$8,888,888 to the SOM, the largest alumni gift the school had received. Under the auspices of the gift, Renmin University students study at Yale through a summer program.
Renmin University School of Labor and Human Resources maintains an exchange relationship with the Huamin Research Center and the School of Social Work at Rutgers University. Every year since 2010, study abroad students and faculty from Rutgers exchange with their Renmin University counterparts. Renmin University is a popular destination for visiting foreign dignitaries. During his state visit to China in January 2008, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown visited Renmin University with Premier Wen Jiabao to talk with students, scholars, athletes and entrepreneurs.
The School of International Studies offers a Double Masters in Asian & European Affairs with King's College London.
The research and opinions of Renmin University professors are frequently cited in influential media outlets, such as the New York Times. Professors cited in the New York Times in recent years include Chen Weidong, Hou Dongming, Jin Canrong, Pan Suiming, Shi Yinhong, Zhang Ming, Zhou Xiaozheng, among others, and their expertise covers law, economics, sociology, political science and international relations.
The High School Affiliated to Renmin University of China is one of the most prestigious high schools in Beijing, and a sister school of Phillips Academy in Massachusetts, Phillips Exeter Academy in New Hampshire and Punahou Academy in Honolulu.
- "人大校训". Retrieved 2014-07-09.
- "RUC advertisment [sic] shown at Times Square". Retrieved 2014-07-09.
- "中国人民大学 | RENMIN UNIVERSITY of CHINA". www.ruc.edu.cn. Retrieved 2016-03-30.
- "History [of Renmin University]". Renmin University. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "刘伟". Renmin University. Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- "The School of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development". Archived from the original on 23 January 2014.
- "中国人民大学外国语学院". ruc.edu.cn.
- "中国人民大学马克思主义学院". ruc.edu.cn.
- "中国人民大学社会与人口学院". ssps.ruc.edu.cn. Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- "Rural Reconstruction Center of Renmin University". China Development Brief.
- "English Corner: China's Free Speech Zone". The Face of China. 9 January 2014. Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- "中国人民大学苏州校区". sc.ruc.edu.cn. Retrieved 2016-01-08.
- "中国人民大学中法学院". ifc.ruc.edu.cn. Retrieved 2016-01-08.
- "中华人民共和国教育部 中外合作办学监管工作信息平台". www.crs.jsj.edu.cn. Retrieved 2016-01-08.
- "中国人民大学东校区筹备工作办公室". dxq.ruc.edu.cn. Retrieved 2016-01-08.
- Johnson, Ian (2015-06-25). "China Aims to Move Beijing Government Out of City's Crowded Core". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2016-01-08.
- "中国人民大学东校区筹备工作办公室". dxq.ruc.edu.cn. Retrieved 2016-01-08.
- Couple raises $30M for Renmin. China Economic Review
- "Morgan Stanley Hires Qing Wang as Greater China Economist". morganstanley.com.
- "密歇根大学孔子学院". hanban.org.
- "SOM announces largest alumni gift to date". Yale Daily News.
- "China, Britain highlight rapport, friendship amid deals". chinese-embassy.org.uk.
- "Double Masters in Asian & European Affairs".
- Students from Renmin University School of Finance participate in the National Model United Nations 2011 conference.
- "The University of Chicago Center in Beijing".
- University Official Website(Chinese)(English)
- Chin Renmin University Press (simplified Chinese)
- TDRD Internet Bulletin The quasi-official student internet forum of Renmin University (Chinese)
- RUCOL Forum A non-official student internet forum of Renmin University (Chinese)