Renner, South Dakota
|Named for||Leonard Renner|
|Elevation||1,434 ft (437 m)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1257356|
Renner is an unincorporated community in Minnehaha County in the U.S. state of South Dakota. Renner has been assigned the ZIP code of 57055. The demographics of Renner are not listed separately by the United States Census Bureau, but are included within those of Mapleton Township. The 2000 Census reported a total population of 2,128 for all of Mapleton Township.
After completing the first non-stop solo flight across the Atlantic Ocean in May 1927, Charles Lindbergh made a stop in Renner on August 27, 1927. Contemporary estimates reported that between thirty and forty thousand people came to Renner to welcome him.
Renner Lutheran Church, founded in 1868 as Nidaros Church by Norwegian immigrants, is reportedly the oldest ELCA church in South Dakota. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as Renner Lutheran Sanctuary.
- Ben Olafson from the children's show, The Puzzle Place was from Renner.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Census Bureau. Census 2000. "Census Demographic Profiles, Mapleton Township" (PDF). CenStats Databases. Retrieved 2009-01-31.[dead link]
- Federal Writers' Project (1940). South Dakota place-names, v.1-3. University of South Dakota. p. 58.
- "History of Renner Lutheran Church". Retrieved 2010-07-25.
- "SOUTH DAKOTA - Minnehaha County". National Register of Historic Places. Retrieved 2010-07-25.