Repeat When Necessary
|Repeat When Necessary|
|Studio album by Dave Edmunds|
|Released||9 June 1979|
|Recorded||15 February 1979|
|Dave Edmunds chronology|
|Robert Christgau||A− link|
Repeat When Necessary is an album by Welsh rock musician Dave Edmunds. Produced by Edmunds, it was released in 1979 by Swan Song Records (see 1979 in music). It was recorded and released at the same time as Nick Lowe's Labour of Lust, and features the same lineup of musicians: Edmunds, Lowe, Billy Bremner and Terry Williams, collectively known as Rockpile.
"Girls Talk," written by Elvis Costello, Graham Parker's "Crawling from the Wreckage," and the Hank DeVito-penned "Queen of Hearts" are among the highlights of this album. Juice Newton would cover "Queen of Hearts" in an arrangement virtually identical to Edmunds' on Juice, her 1981 breakthrough album.
Among the more obscure covers on the album are "Dynamite" (originally recorded by Cliff Richard), and "Take Me For A Little While" (originally recorded by Evie Sands and, later, covered by Dusty Springfield and the Vanilla Fudge). "Home In My Hand" had been recorded seven years before by Nick Lowe's old band, Brinsley Schwarz. "Bad is Bad," written by Huey Lewis, would later be recorded by Lewis' band the News for their 1983 multi-platinum album Sports.
LP track listing
- "Girls Talk" (Elvis Costello) – 3:25
- "Crawling from the Wreckage" (Graham Parker) – 2:53
- "The Creature from the Black Lagoon" (Billy Bremner) – 3:52
- "Sweet Little Lisa" (Donivan Cowart, Martin Cowart, Hank DeVito) – 3:38
- "Dynamite" (Mort Garson, Tom Glazer) – 2:33
- "Queen of Hearts" (Hank DeVito) – 3:17
- "Home in My Hand" (Ronnie Self) – 3:20
- "Goodbye Mister Good Guy" (Pat Meager, Bremner) – 2:40
- "Take Me for a Little While" (Trade Martin) – 2:39
- "We Were Both Wrong" (Bremner) – 2:42
- "Bad Is Bad" (Huey Lewis) – 3:11
Note: Bremner used the pseudonym "Billy Murray" for all his writing credits on the album.
- Dave Edmunds – guitars, piano and vocals
- Billy Bremner – guitar and backing vocals
- Nick Lowe – bass and backing vocals
- Terry Williams – drums
- Huey Lewis – harmonica on "Bad Is Bad"
- Albert Lee– guitar on "Sweet Little Lisa"
- Roger Bechirian – piano on "Girls Talk"
Sweden-17 UK-39 US-54
- "Random Notes". Rolling Stone (Straight Arrow Publishers, Inc.) (293): 46. June 14, 1979.
- Starr, Red. "Albums". Smash Hits (July 12–25 1979): 25.