|First appearance||Avengers: The Initiative Featuring Reptil|
|Created by||Christos Gage
|Alter ego||Humberto Lopez|
|Team affiliations||Avengers: The Initiative
|Abilities||Via bone medallion:
Minimal empathic senses
Ability to turn any part of his body into any part of a dinosaur's body
||This article describes a work or element of fiction in a primarily in-universe style. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Reptil appeared as a regular character in Avengers Academy from issue #1 (Aug 2010) through its final issue #39 (Jan 2013).
Fictional character biography
Humberto Lopez is a young boy who had registered with the Fifty State Initiative and was living with his grandfather. When S.H.I.E.L.D. scientist Valerie Cooper was putting together a squad to go after Stegron in his plot to reanimate dinosaur fossils, Tigra was placed in charge of the squad and was told to recruit Humberto to help them. Tigra was worried since Humberto hadn't gone through training yet. When going after Stegron, Humberto explained about his parents and how he got his powers.
His parents were paleontologists that dug up a crystallized bone when he was with them in the desert. The medallion had a strange energy in it that had to do with dinosaurs. Under the codename Reptil, Humberto used it to obtain the abilities of any dinosaur by thinking of it and even had an empathy to sense dinosaurs and other reptiles.
Upon arrival in Camp Hammond, Reptil went through training for a couple of days. While going through training with different members of the Initiative, Reptil learns the good and bad sides of the Initiative. Tigra tells Reptil that being a hero is a responsibility. Reptil tells her that his parents disappeared a year ago on a dig and that he wants to become a hero to find them.
With the help of Baron Von Blitzschlag attaching a device to increase Humbertos's dinosaur empathy, the team locates Stegron. When discovering that Stegron and his dinosaur herd are going to attack a S.H.I.E.L.D. base in South Dakota, Tigra's group intercepts them. However, Stegron took control of Komodo's mind and told her to attack her teammates. Reptil acts hot-headed during the fight and attacks Stegron, but is beaten down. Stegron and his dinosaur herd escape. Reptil suffers a mild concussion and Dr. Cooper tells him that his rash behavior allowed Stegron to escape and he endangered the lives of his teammates. Tigra speaks to Dr. Cooper in private and asks her to give Humberto one more chance to go out on the field. Valerie tells Tigra that if Reptil messes up, then his career with the Initiative would be over. Tigra speaks to Humberto a few days later and reminds him to stay balanced and not to over-commit. She tells him that everyone has problems and that he is lucky enough to be in a position to learn from other's mistakes and his own.
When it comes to a S.H.I.E.L.D. base in Wyoming, Stegron's dinosaurs are taken down by a combination of good teamwork and Reptil's abilities. It turns out that Stegron was attacking various S.H.I.E.L.D. bases to locate Moon-Boy (who had been captured from the Savage Land). Stegron was only targeting Moon-Boy so that he can gain control of Devil Dinosaur. Reptil tells Tigra that Moon-Boy is innocent and doesn't deserve this. Tigra tells Reptil there is something they can do but he has to make a tough choice. Tigra tells the S.H.I.E.L.D. scientist and agents that Moon-Boy was eaten by one of the dinosaurs and Reptil was sent home because he just got in the way and was completely useless.
What they don't know is that Reptil managed to fly out with Moonboy and take him back to his home to Nevada. Tigra meets Humberto there and they are soon greeted by Ka-Zar and his pet smilodon Zabu. Ka-Zar thanks Tigra and Reptil for bringing Moon-Boy back to him safely and invites Reptil to take Moon-Boy back to the Savage Land. After Moon-Boy is reunited with Devil Dinosaur, Ka-Zar tells Reptil that he will help him find his parents.
Soon after this as part of the Heroic Age event, Reptil is captured and taken to the USA and imprisoned in a government facility. Under the orders of Norman Osborn, experiments are performed on Reptil in an attempt to see if enough stress could turn his whole body into a dinosaur until the word of Norman Osborn's fall. As the agents of the H.A.M.M.E.R. began destroying all the evidence about Norman's clandestine and illegal projects, Reptil manages to escape as the agents were ready to murder him. As Reptil escapes the facility he is approached by Justice and Hank Pym who invite him to become part of the Avengers Academy.
Along with the other students, all of them having been somehow affected by Norman Osborn, Reptil is told that they are the most promising of the heroes Osborn sought out. During their first training session, the students notice the staff arguing about them. By accessing secret computer files, the students realize that, rather than because they showed promise, they have been chosen for the academy because the staff believes they have the greatest potential to go rogue and become supervillains.
During a battle, Mentallo takes control of Reptil's mind and forces him to fly headfirst towards the ground. The threat of imminent death allows Reptil to fully transform into a dinosaur. This saves Reptil's life because Mentallo can't control the dinosaur's reptilian mind. However Reptil can not control himself in this form either. His teachers think that his tendency to repress his troubles instead of dealing with them is the reason for his lack of control. They want him to accept help, but he is reluctant to talk to staff of the academy. Since the best superhuman therapist Doc Samson is gone, they ask Jessica Jones to talk to him. He opens up to her and they talk about many of the things that have been troubling him including his parents, but he keeps his concerns about his fellow students and the academy itself private.
When Korvac returns, Reptil and his fellow studies are placed into future versions of their bodies to fight him by Korvac's estranged lover, Carina. After Korvac is defeated, Reptil finds himself trapped in his older body. On a day trip to New York, the students run afoul of Arcade, during which Reptil meets Spider-Girl, and they quickly become friends. Spider-Girl attends Academy's "prom night". When she tells him that she liked him the way he was, Reptil then decides to reverts to his teenage body.
After the battle with Korvac he convinces Tigra to allow him and the team to fight Electro. It turns out the entire Sinister Six was with him and the easily defeat the students. Reptil blames himself. He develops great leadership skills and is able to guide the team against Absorbing Man and Titaniana's attack on the Infinite Mansion during the "Fear Itself" storyline, especially now that since his connection with his future self, he can turn his entire body into a dinosaur without losing control and change his body mass by turning into larger and smaller beasts. 
Later, Reptil's brain is switched again with his future self. His future self attempts to help Hybrid take over the school in order to ensure a future timeline will exist where he and Finesse have a child. However, his future self cannot cope with the guilt of killing fellow students, so he contacts Veil and Jocasta, who are able to defeat Hybrid. It is hinted that this particular timeline might still have been saved.
Avengers Vs. X-Men
Reptil and the students initially don't take kindly to the junior X-men, but eventually come to understand the difficult situation that the mutants were forced into by adult superheroes, not unlike their present situation. When Sebastian Shaw attempts to free the mutants, the Avengers Academy students side with them, so Tigra feints defeats and allows them to escape. He and the students defend Juston Seyfert's sentinel against a Phoenix Force powered Emma Frost.
Reptil and White Tiger are de-powered by Jeremy Brigg's, when he steals their amulets. Only once they mentally communicate with their amulets and vow to die in order to fulfill their destinies, do the amulets fall from Coat of Arms's hands. Once re-powered the are able to defeat Brigg and his cronies. He and the rest of the students are graduated to associate Avengers. In the final issue, he and White Tiger are shown to be romantically involved.
As part of the Marvel NOW! event, Reptil is abducted alongside Mettle and Hazmat from the Academy by Arcade in the pages of Avengers Arena. He is badly injured by a flame attack from an unknown assailant. Hazmat and X-23 try to bring Reptil to the edge of quadrant 2 to get medical supplies for Reptil's burns. At that point, Reptil wakes up and Hazmat is overjoyed. When Hazmat and X-23 tell Reptil that Chase attacked him, Reptil clears Chase's reputation, saying that Deathlocket was the one who attacked him. Reptil, Hazmat, and X-23 are still trying to get to the edge of Quadrant 2 for medical supplies. Reptil is finally feeling well enough to walk and shape-shift. Hazmat initially tells him not to expend the energy and that they will leave no one behind. Just then, Hazmat activates a cloud of smoke, engulfing the three. When the smoke dissipates, it's revealed that the smoke is trigger scent and X-23 goes feral, attempting to kill Hazmat and Reptil. Reptil shape-shifts into a pterodactyl and evacuates Hazmat away from X-23. Reptil turns into a plesiosaur in order to hunt some sharks for him and Hazmat to dine upon. The remaining teenage heroes catch up to them and are invited to have shark steaks with them. Cullen Bloodstone confronts Reptil about their camping out on the beach while a war's going off elsewhere. Cammi interjects to agree with Cullen Bloodstone before saying she's heading out to either find Nico or avenge her. Reptil heads back to shake Hazmat out of her funk. The issue ends with everyone agreeing to go back out into Murderworld. As chaos ensues in Murderworld, Anachronism attacks X-23 only to be attacked by Reptil. As Hazmat is close to exploding, Reptil swims her out to sea so that the explosion can't harm anyone. The explosion causes everyone to stop fighting each other. When the surviving teenage heroes are rescued, Reptil is fished out of the water by a S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent.
Powers and abilities
Reptil wears a crystallized bone medallion that allows him to take on the abilities of different dinosaurs just by thinking about them. He initially cannot fully transform into a complete dinosaur but can shape-shift various parts of his body into different dinosaur appendages like a tail to strike enemies, changing his arms into pterodactyl wings, or having claws like a Velociraptor. However, after briefly possessing the body of his future self in a fight against Korvac, he retains the ability to fully transform. He possesses the strength and ability of whatever dinosaur he is using and his skin always turns red and scaly whenever he uses his abilities.
Reptil also has some empathy abilities with dinosaurs. He can sense other reptiles, but he cannot control them or influence their behavior at this time.
His amulet is magical in nature and recently embedded itself into his chest. Not much is known about it except that it is not actually the source of his powers, but only the catalyst that allows him to use them.
In other media
- Reptil first appears in The Super Hero Squad Show episode "To Err is Superhuman", voiced by Antony Del Rio as a child and by Carlos Alazraqui as an adult. Captain America brings him onto the team as its latest member. He does have some doubts after nearly being taken down by Abomination and the Wrecking Crew, but manages to overcome them to rescue Wolverine. In "A Brat Walks Among Us", he impresses Brynnie Bratton by changing his head into a T-rex's and back multiple times. He also does a play by play for the heroes and villains' struggles to claim Brynnie until Reptil claims her from Whirlwind. In "Night in the Sanctorum", it is revealed that he lives with his parents and his room is decorated with pictures of every superhero (except for Falcon). In "This Forest Green", he is talented at making a quesadilla dish called the Reptilla Quesadilla Supremos which he shows to Ms. Marvel. In "Tales of Suspense" Reptil plays golf with Wolverine against MODOK and Abomination. In "Mysterious Mayhem at Mutant Academy," Reptil accompanies Wolverine to Xavier Academy to meet the X-Men. At the same time, Ringmaster infiltrates the school and hypnotizes the X-Men into helping him find the Infinity Fractal. Reptil managed to break the hypnosis on the X-Men. Wolverine and Reptil don't know it yet, but Ringmaster's dowsing rod was later pointing toward Reptil's medallion meaning that his medallion could be a Fractal. This is confirmed in "This Al Dente Earth" where it turned out that Reptil's medallion was actually an Infinity Fractal sent through time. Reptil gives it up so that the Infinity Sword can be reforged. At the end of the episode, Reptil claims that he couldn't be a hero anymore until saying "Brachiosaurus tail" turned him into a full Brachiosaurus as Iron Man stated that Reptil's prolonged exposure to the Infinity Fractal caused Reptil to retain his powers. In "Too Many Wolverines," it is shown that Reptil goes to the same school as Amadeus Cho and Angelica Jones (who unbeknownst to Reptil at the time is actually Firestar).
- Reptil appears in the animated Christmas-themed TV special entitled Marvel Super Hero Adventures: Frost Fight!, voiced again by Antony Del Rio. In the special, he is a member of the Avengers Academy who is partnered with the adult Avengers during a "ride-along" program.
- Reptil appears in the Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet, voiced by Antony Del Rio. He and Spider-Man end up fighting Abomination when he gets his hands on the Reality Infinity Gem.
- Reptil is a playable character in Marvel Super Hero Squad Online, voiced by Antony Del Rio.
- Reptil appears in the Marvel Super Hero Squad: Comic Combat, voiced by Antony Del Rio.
- Reptil is mentioned in the game Marvel: Avengers Alliance. It is stated in season two that he is one of the minor characters slain as part of the evolving plot by the group known as the Circle of Eight.
- Reptil is a playable character in Lego Marvel's Avengers, voiced by Antony Del Rio.
- It would appear that The Super Hero Squad Show exists within the mainstream Marvel Universe (Earth-616). In an issue of Avengers Academy, it is noted that none of the students are famous enough to be on cartoons, until Striker points out that Reptil is featured on a show.
- Feathered dinosaurs have been discovered since the 2010s, and in 2017 mainstream archaeology has reported that perhaps all dinosaurs had feathers. None of this has featured in Reptil, and he instead shows "reptilian" but incorrect skin in his transformations.
- Sunu, Steve (13 September 2012). "Hopeless and Walker Populate "Avengers Arena" For Marvel NOW!". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved 13 September 2012.
- Avengers: The Initiative Featuring Reptil (May, 2009)
- Enter the Heroic Age #1 (May 2010)
- Avengers Academy #1 (June 2010)
- Avengers Academy #6 (November 2010)
- Avengers Academy #11-12 (March–April 2011)
- Giant-Sized Avengers Academy #1 (May 2011)
- Avengers Academy Issue 19
- Avengers Academy #25
- Avengers Academy #26
- Avengers Academy Issue # 31
- Avengers Academy Issue # 33
- Avengers Academy Issue #36
- Avengers Academy Issue # 39
- Avengers Arena #1 (December 2012)
- Avengers Arena #4
- Avengers Arena #5
- Avengers Arena #6
- Avengers Arena #11
- Avengers Arena #17
- Avengers Arena #18
- Avengers Academy #11 page 19
- "Newly Discovered Fossils Hint That All Dinosaurs May Have Had Feathers". IFLScience. Retrieved 2017-07-07.