Republic Day (Niger)
Fête de la République du Niger
Fête tournante du 18 décembre
|Celebrations||Festivals, Political addresses, Military Parade, parties.|
|Next time||18 December 2017|
Republic Day, a national holiday in the Republic of Niger is commemorated on 18 December 1958.
Importance of date
Although not the date of formal, complete independence from France, 18 December marks the founding of the Republic and creation of the Presidency of the Republic of Niger, following the constitutional changes of the French Fifth Republic, and the elections of 4 December 1958 held across the French colonial possessions. Nigeriens consider this date to be the founding of their national institutions. Between 18 December 1958 and 3 August 1960, Niger remained a semi-autonomous Republic within the French Community.
Since 1958, the 18th has been an historic anniversary, widely commemorated, but not a national festival. In 2005, the government of the Fifth Republic of Niger declared the 18th a national holiday, in conjunction with the 3 August Independence Day.
The 18th is celebrated in Niger with official festivals and appearances of political leaders, as well as public parties and festivities. It is a public holiday, in which government offices and many businesses close. The 50th anniversary celebrations were held in 2008, centered not in the capitol, but in the regional center of Tillabéry, and surrounded by sports, musical and arts competitions, the opening of new buildings, a National Youth Festival, and other public festivities. Since the beginning of this national festival in 2006, the official commemorations have always taken place at Regional capitals. Zinder was chosen for 2006 (the 48th anniversary) and Tahoua for 2007. The National Youth Festival, previously held at other dates, has been tied to the new Holiday.
- Niger: Début des festivités marquant le 50ème anniversaire de la proclamation de la république . Xinhua News. 12 December 2008.
- Le saviez-vous ? LE WASSAN KARA. Le DAMAGARAM (Zinder): Mensuel d’Informations générales. N°00- Janvier 2007
- La transparence et la rigueur dans la gestion de l’état sont le cheval de bataille de SEM PRN Tandja Mamadou pour le bien être des nigériens. 30 December 2007.
- Commémoration du 18 décembre à Tillabéri : Sons et lumières à la cité des Maïga. Assane Soumana, Sahel Dimanche. 12 December 2008
- Célébration du cinquantenaire de la République à Niamey • Le Premier ministre se réjouit des préparatifs de la grande fantasia. Mahaman Bako, nigerdiaspora. 16 December 2008.
- James Decalo. Historical Dictionary of Niger. Scarecrow Press/ Metuchen. NJ - London (1979) ISBN 0-8108-1229-0
- Finn Fuglestad. A History of Niger: 1850-1960. Cambridge University Press (1983) ISBN 0-521-25268-7