Republic of Poland Ambassador to the United Kingdom
|Ambassador of Republic of Poland to the United Kingdom
Ambassador of Republic of Poland to the Court of St James's
|Reports to||Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Poland)|
|Seat||London, United Kingdom|
|Website||Polish Embassy - London|
The Republic of Poland Ambassador to the United Kingdom (known formally in the Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of Poland to the Court of St James's) is the official representative of the Government of the Republic of Poland to the Queen and Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
The first permanent Polish diplomatic mission was created in late 18th century by the last king of Poland, Stanisław August Poniatowski. After partitions of Poland, there was over a century gap in diplomatic relations. The mission was reestablished following Poland regaining independence in the aftermath of World War I.
This is the list of Ambassadors of Poland to the United Kingdom.
Ambassadors of Poland to the United Kingdom
- 1553 Thomas Stafford
- 1763 Józef Poniński
- 1766–1768 Charles Lee (nieoficjalny agent Stanisława Augusta)
- 1769–1772 Tadeusz Burzyński
- 1772–1785 Franciszek Bukaty
- Note: Military Partitions of Poland ended the existence of a sovereign Polish state for over a century.
Second Polish Republic
- Note: Second Republic was created in 1918.
- 1918–1919 Władysław Sobański (Delegat Komitetu Narodowego Polskiego)
- 1919–1920 Eustachy Sapieha (Poseł)
- 1920–1921 Jan Ciechanowski (Chargé d'Affaires a.i.)
- 1921–1922 Władysław Wróblewski (Poseł)
- 1922–1929 Konstanty Skirmunt (Poseł)
- 1929–1934 Konstanty Skirmunt (Ambasador)
- 1934–1945 Edward Raczyński
- Note: Edward Raczyński was the ambassador of the Polish government-in-exile to United Kingdom from 1939 till 1945.
People's Republic of Poland
- Note: Officially, People's Republic of Poland is the name used since 1952. Unofficially, this name is used for all Polish communist governments since 1944.
- 1945–1949 Henryk Strasburger
- 1949–1953 Jerzy Michałowski
- 1953–1956 Eugeniusz Milnikiel
- 1960–1964 Witold Rodziński
- 1964–1969 Jerzy Morawski
- 1969–1972 Marian Dobrosielski
- 1972–1978 Artur Starewicz
- 1978–1983 Jan Bisztyga
- 1987–1990 Zbigniew Gertych
Third Polish Republic
- Note: modern Poland.
- 1990–1993 Tadeusz de Virion
- 1994–1999 Ryszard Stemplowski
- 1999–2004 Stanisław Komorowski
- 2004–2006 Zbigniew Matuszewski
- 2006-2012 Barbara Tuge-Erecińska
- 2012-2016 Witold Sobków
- from 2012 Arkady Rzegocki (current)