Republic of Saugeais
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Republic of Saugeais
Motto: Dé san qu'y a dèz hounnous â mondou
Since men were in the world
Anthem: Hymne du Saugeais ("Hymn of Saugeais") by Joseph Botillon, 1910
on the Swiss border
|128 km2 (49 sq mi)|
|Purported currency||Saugeais Sol, Euro|
The Republic of Saugeais (French: La République du Saugeais, pronounced [so.ʒɛ]) is a long-lived self-proclaimed micronation located in eastern France, in the département of Doubs. The republic comprises the 11 municipalities of Les Alliés, Arçon, Bugny, La Chaux-de-Gilley, Gilley, Hauterive-la-Fresse, La Longeville, Montflovin, Maisons-du-Bois-Lièvremont, Ville-du-Pont, and its capital Montbenoît.
In 1947, the prefect of the département of Doubs came to Montbenoît to attend an official event. The prefect had lunch in the Hôtel de l'Abbaye in Montbenoît, which was owned by Georges Pourchet. As a joke, Pourchet asked the prefect "Do you have a permit allowing you to enter the Republic of Saugeais?" The prefect asked for details on the mysterious republic, which Pourchet made up on the spot. The prefect responded by appointing Pourchet president of the Free Republic of Saugeais.
Georges Pourchet died in 1968 and his wife Gabrielle initially succeeded as president. She retired in 1970 but remained active in Montbenoît, helping the parish priest to preserve the abbey. To raise funds, a festival was organised in 1972, during which Gabrielle Pourchet was elected President for life by acclamation.
President Gabrielle Pourchet appointed a prime minister, a general secretary, twelve ambassadors and more than 300 honorary citizens. A song written in the Langue Saugette, a Franco-Provençal dialect, by Joseph Botillon in 1910 was adopted as the republic's national anthem. A banknote was released in 1997, and the French Postal Service issued a postal stamp commemorating the republic in 1987.
Gabrielle Pourchet died on 31 August 2005, at the age of 99, and her daughter Georgette Bertin-Pourchet succeeded as president.
List of presidents
|President of Saugeais|
- Georges Pourchet (1947–68)
- Gabrielle Pourchet (1968 – 31 August 2005)
- Georgette Bertin-Pourchet (since 2005)
- "Micronations: The Republic of Saugeais". Leo de la Fontaine.com. Archived from the original on 2 September 2017. Retrieved 16 June 2017.
- Lebby Eyres "A Tiny Country between France and Switzerland" BBC 12 March 2020.
- "La république du Saugeais" [The Saugeais Republic]. Office du tourisme du canton de Montbenoît. Archived from the original on 27 July 2015. Retrieved 18 August 2015.
- "Sauge", Flags of The World, Five star flags, featuring information on the flag of the republic.