Rescator is the name of a Ukrainian hacker specialising in the sale of credit card details. According to Russian cyber-security consultancy Group-IB, "Rescator" (AKA Helkern and ikaikki) runs his own marketplace at rescator.cc and uploaded over 5 million card details onto the SWIPED carder marketplace.[non-primary source needed]
Credit card details have been stolen from places like Minnesota and the United Kingdom, the website allows searches by zip code so that stolen card numbers can be cashed out more locally to their victim to avoid alerting banks. Unlike the now defunct Tor Carding Forums, the site is free to use, payments requiring direct Bitcoin payments to sellers without escrow features more common on darknet markets. Many of the stolen details from the Target, Home Depot and Sally Beauty data breaches ended up at the site.
"The Rescator" is the nickname of a major character in the well-known Angelique series of historical novels. The character is depicted as a pirate whose acts are clearly illegal but still morally defensible, who always wears a mask and whose true identity remains unknown over many volumes of the series.
- Leyden, John (16 October 2014). "Hacker-hunters finger 'Keyser Soze' of Russian underground card sales". Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- White, Geoff (6 November 2014). "Thousands at risk from credit card fraud website". Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- Montemayor, Stephen (2 August 2015). "Out-of-state criminals bring cloned credit card schemes to Twin Cities". Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- KIELL (11 December 2014). "A Carder's First Experience". Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- Schwartz, Mathew J. (5 September 2015). "Banks Reacting Faster to Card Breaches". Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- Krebs, Brian (May 2015). "Deconstructing the 2014 Sally Beauty Breach". Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Underground Payment Card Store Rescator Hacked and Defaced". Retrieved 2 August 2015.
|This crime-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Internet-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|