|Type of business||Privately held company|
Type of site
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Alexa rank||6,136 (September 2014[update])|
Resident Advisor (also known as RA) is an online music magazine and community platform that's dedicated to showcasing electronic music, artists and events across the globe. It was established in 2001. RA's editorial team provides news, music and event reviews, as well as films, features and interviews. The website also manages services that include event listings, ticket sales, club and promoter directories, photo galleries, artist and record label profiles, DJ charts, an online community, and the RA Podcast.
RA was founded in 2001 by Paul Clement and Nick Sabine as a site to provide news and information relating to the Australian dance music scene. It outgrew its initial regional focus and by 2002, was covering the electronic music industry globally.
Resident Advisor unveiled RA Tickets in 2008 to allow promoters of electronic music to sell tickets. RA Tickets launched a face-value ticket resale system to battle touting and the RA Ticket Scanner app to allow promoters to manage entry to their events.
In August 2011, Resident Advisor launched a Japanese version of the website.
In January 2014, the first complete redesign in the site's history was announced, adding mobile support, responsive design, a new logo, full SoundCloud integration on artist pages and other features. At that time, Resident Advisor stated to have more than two million users per month.
The company launched its first consumer-focused iOS app in 2015. The RA Guide, free in the App Store (iOS), takes the sites listings for clubs, festivals and concerts to the mobile market. Apple featured RA as a curator, with the launch of Apple Music, to contribute electronic music playlists to the streaming service. 
The magazine's publishers focus on interviews with artists. Some of the DJs, artists and producers that have been interviewed include: Andrew Weatherall, Benga, Booka Shade, Carl Cox, Carl Craig, Deadmau5, Dixon, DJ Harvey, Ellen Allien, Greg Wilson, Jamie Jones, Jay Lumen, Kelli Hand, Max Richter, James Holden, Jeff Mills, John Digweed, Joris Voorn, Lee Burridge, Loco Dice,, M.A.N.D.Y., Miss Kittin, Paul Kalkbrenner, Quincy Jones, Richie Hawtin, Ricardo Villalobos, Sasha, Sei A, Seth Troxler, Sven Väth, Tiësto and Underworld.
The RA Podcast is a weekly mix of electronic music from top producers and DJs. It launched on March 6, 2006 with a mix from Troy Pierce and has since featured Fever Ray, Laurent Garnier, Richie Hawtin, Erol Alkan, Frankie Knuckles, Tensnake, DJ Harvey, Greg Wilson and others.
In 2010, Resident Advisor started a second podcast series titled the RA Exchange. The site defines the RA Exchange as a series of conversations with artists (e.g., Guy Gerber, Morgan Geist, and New Order), labels (e.g., Defected Records, Future Classic, and Rush Hour), and promoters (e.g., Decibel, MUTEK, and Sónar) shaping the electronic music landscape.
RA supports, partners, promotes and runs events, club nights and festival stages. This includes:
- Resident Advisor showcases
- Events during the Sónar Festival in Barcelona
- Festival collaborations including the Detroit Electronic Music Festival, Berlin's Club Transmediale, Seattle's Decibel Festival, London's Field Day (festival) and the annual Amsterdam Dance Event.
In 2011, the site launched a series of ten parties called "RA X" so as to celebrate their tenth anniversary. The first of these was held on June 11 in London. In chronological order, the next parties were held in Barcelona, São Paulo, New York City, Moscow, Sydney, Rome, Tokyo, Berlin and Amsterdam. Each party was curated by a secret guest, who determined the other DJs who would play alongside them. Additionally, ten different visual artists were enlisted to create posters for the events.
RA announced "In Residence" in 2016, a series that visits one club per month, hosting four events at each. It started with Smart Bar in Chicago in March, then visiting Concrete in Paris, Robert Johnson in Frankfurt, Lux in Portugal, Kaiku in Helsinki, Macarena Club in Barcelona and Goa Club in Rome.
In 2011, Resident Advisor produced a series of short documentaries titled Real Scenes. Each of the 15-20 minute films was focused on a city, exploring the musical, cultural and creative climate within electronic music's key destinations. The first cities covered were Bristol, Detroit and then Berlin. In 2012/3, Resident Advisor extended this series to incorporate documentary films on the electronic music scenes in Paris, Johannesburg, New York, Tokyo and Mexico City.
RA Films has since produced various series. This includes RA Sessions, which features recorded performances with live artists (e.g., Nils Frahm, Darkside and Henrik Schwarz), ORIGINS, which traces the roots of DJs (e.g., Matthew Dear, Chris Liebing and DVS1) and Between The Beats, which takes a behind the scenes look at the life of a touring artist (e.g., Nina Kraviz, Seth Troxler and The Martinez Brothers).
Annual RA polls
Since 2006 Resident Advisor has conducted two annual voting polls at the end of each year under the name RA Poll. The first polls the publications readers, who are asked to vote for their top 100 DJs and live acts of the year. The second poll is conducted amongst the magazine's staff and contributors who vote on their albums, compilations, labels and tracks of the year.
Label of the Month
In 2008, Resident Advisor began a monthly feature naming different record labels its "Label of the Month." Featured labels have included Hyperdub, Opal Tapes, Fifth Wall Records, Sandwell District, Dial, and Night Slugs.
- "Residentadvisor.net Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-09-30.
- "General Website: Music". Webby Awards. The International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- Malt, Andy. "Resident Advisor launches face-value ticket resale service". Complete Music Update. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- "Resident Advisor relaunches site". Resident Advisor.
- Sisario, Ben. "Influential Site Inhabits Fringe of an Electronic Dance Music Culture". The New York Times. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- Dredge, Stuart. "Electronic music website Resident Advisor takes its club listings mobile". The Guardian. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- Dredge, Stuart. "Is Apple Music worth paying for?". The Guardian. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- "RA Podcast 001: Troy Pierce". Resident Advisor.
- "RA Exchange 001: Function". Resident Advisor.
- Matos, Michaelangelo (8 July 2010). "In Pod We Trust". The Guardian. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
The first RA Podcast, 84 minutes of minimal techno from Berlin's Troy Pierce, appeared in March 2006, and four years later, the RA podcast sits comfortably at the top of the heap.
- "Resident Advisor Announces "In Residence" Program ft. Smart Bar". Smart Bar.
- Gosling, Emily. "Turning Ten". Design Week. Retrieved 10 June 2011.
- "RA Films". YouTube.
- "RA Sessions playlist". YouTube.
- "Resident Advisor Reveals Its Top 100 DJs of 2015". Billboard (magazine). Retrieved 9 December 2015.
- "Resident Advisor Releases Its Top 40 Live Acts of 2015". Billboard (magazine). Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- "Label of the Month". Resident Advisor.