|This article does not cite any sources. (November 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Studio album by Spacehog|
|Released||24 October 1995|
Bearsville, New York
|Genre||Alternative rock, glam rock|
|Producer||Bryce Goggin, Spacehog|
Resident Alien is the first album by the British glam rock band Spacehog. Released by Sire Records and Elektra Records on 24 October 1995, the album was certified gold on 29 July 1996 and included the hit single "In the Meantime", which reached the top of the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart in the US, and remained there for four weeks. Most of Resident Alien's basic tracks were recorded live in a barn in Woodstock, New York. It was intended to give the album the immediacy of live room recording.
Although Jonny Cragg makes his singing debut in "Skylark" on the band's sophomore LP, The Chinese Album, it is his voice that introduces "Space Is the Place" on Resident Alien. The spoken line in the middle of "Never Coming Down (Part II)", "Everybody in the world is bent", comes from the 1969 movie The Italian Job. The movie also features jail inmates clapping out the rhythm used in this song. In a tribute to the film Candyman, the chorus to "Candyman" repeats the titular name four times (also referencing the Sammy Davis Jr. standard).
"Only a Few" and "In the Meantime" were used in the 1996 movie Libor Karas World Tour, The Bouncing Czech. "In the Meantime" was also used as the theme song for David Spade's 1998 one-hour HBO stand-up comedy special David Spade: Take the Hit, was used in the film Fanboys and is a playable song in the video game Guitar Hero 5 as a re-recording, as the original recording featured in Rock Band 3 in addition serving as the theme song for the TV show Hindsight. "Never Coming Down (Part II)" was featured in the 1996 movie D3: The Mighty Ducks.
|Pitchfork Media||(7.6/10) link|
All songs by Royston Langdon, except where noted.
- "In the Meantime" - 4:58
- "Spacehog" (Antony Langdon) - 2:13
- "Starside" - 3:49
- "Candyman" - 5:23
- "Space Is the Place" (A. Langdon) - 3:06
- "Never Coming Down (Part I)" - 1:44
- "Cruel to Be Kind" - 3:05
- "Ship Wrecked" - 5:28
- "Only a Few" - 3:23
- "The Last Dictator" - 4:14
- "Never Coming Down (Part II)" - 4:02
- "Zeroes" (Gareth Hodgson, R. Langdon) - 6:38
- "To Be a Millionaire... Was It Likely?" (includes hidden track) - 21:19
- Royston Langdon - bass, Moog synthesizer, Hammond organ, keyboards, vocals
- Antony Langdon - guitar, keyboards, vocals
- Jonny Cragg - drums, percussion, background vocals
- Richard Steel - lead guitar
- Spacehog- Resident Alien @rateyourmusic.com (mentions musician credits) Retrieved 3-14-2015.