Resident Evil 3 (2020 video game)
|Resident Evil 3|
|Release||April 3, 2020|
Resident Evil 3[b] is an upcoming survival horror game developed and published by Capcom. The game is a remake of Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999), and follows Jill Valentine and Carlos Oliveira as they attempt to survive a zombie apocalypse while hunted by the intelligent bioweapon Nemesis. It is scheduled for release on Windows, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One on April 3, 2020. It also has an online multiplayer mode, Resident Evil: Resistance.
Resident Evil 3 is a remake of Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, a survival horror game released for PlayStation in 1999. Unlike the original, which uses tank controls and fixed camera angles, the remake features third-person shooter gameplay similar to the 2019 Resident Evil 2 remake. It also includes an online multiplayer mode, Resident Evil: Resistance, which puts a team of four players against a "mastermind" who can create traps, enemies, and other hazards.
The story is set during the same time of events of Resident Evil 2 in September 1998. Players control former S.T.A.R.S. officer Jill Valentine as she attempts to escape Raccoon City during a zombie apocalypse caused by an outbreak of the T-Virus. She is hunted by an intelligent bioweapon known as Nemesis, who attempts to kill her and all remaining S.T.A.R.S. members. The game also follows the mercenary Carlos Oliveira, hired by Umbrella to help survivors.
Capcom producer Yoshiaki Hirabayashi mentioned the possibility of a Resident Evil 3 remake after the Resident Evil 2 remake was released in January 2019. Development was assisted by M-Two, founded by former PlatinumGames CEO Tatsuya Minami, and was created using the RE Engine that was also used in Resident Evil 7 and the Resident Evil 2 remake. The multiplayer mode, Resident Evil: Resistance, was developed externally by NeoBards Entertainment, and was previously announced as a separate game, Project Resistance.
Producers Masachika Kawata and Peter Fabiano said the team tried to honor the more action-oriented approach of the original game. They altered character designs accordingly, with Jill wearing more practical apparel and Carlos Oliveira being "more rough around the edges". Nemesis, one of the central aspects of the game, was also redesigned and given new ways to track down the player compared to the Tyrant from Resident Evil 2.
Resident Evil 3 was announced during an online PlayStation presentation in December 2019, and is scheduled for release on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Microsoft Windows on April 3, 2020. A collector's edition will be available for the console versions and features a Jill Valentine figure, hardcover art book, Raccoon City map poster, and two-disc soundtrack.
- With assistance from M-Two. The game's multiplayer mode, Resident Evil: Resistance, was developed by NeoBards Entertainment.
- Known in Japan as Biohazard RE:3 (Japanese: バイオハザード RE:3, Hepburn: Baiohazādo Āru Ī Surī) and referred to as Resident Evil 3 Remake or RE3 Remake to differentiate from the original game.
- Wakeling, Richard. "Resident Evil 3 Remake Official Release Date On Consoles And PC Announced; RE Resistance Multiplayer Included". GameSpot. Archived from the original on December 12, 2019. Retrieved December 12, 2019.
- Shapiro, Micah. "Resident Evil 3 Remake: Clues For An Expanded Story". Game Rant. Archived from the original on December 11, 2019. Retrieved December 11, 2019.
- Chris Carter (February 2, 2019). "Capcom says a Resident Evil 3 remake is possible, I say 'bring it on'". Destructoid. Archived from the original on February 3, 2019. Retrieved February 19, 2019.
- Holt, Kris. "'Resident Evil 3' remake hits PS4, Xbox One and PC on April 3rd". Engadget. Archived from the original on December 10, 2019. Retrieved December 11, 2019.
- "Capcom Unveils Project Resistance; a New Experience Set in the Resident Evil Universe". Gamasutra. Archived from the original on December 11, 2019. Retrieved December 12, 2019.
- Jones, Alistair. "The Resident Evil 3 Remake is Real, and it Comes with Project Resistance". Kotaku. Archived from the original on December 11, 2019. Retrieved December 11, 2019.
- Priestman, Chris (December 10, 2019). "Resident Evil 3 Remake Confirmed With Release Date". IGN. Archived from the original on December 10, 2019. Retrieved December 10, 2019.
- Sitzes, Jenae (December 11, 2019). "Resident Evil 3 Remake Pre-Order Guide: Collector's Edition, Release Date, Pre-Order Bonus". GameSpot. Archived from the original on December 11, 2019. Retrieved December 11, 2019.
- Romano, Sal. "Resident Evil 3 remake Collector's Edition announced for Europe". Gematsu. Archived from the original on January 25, 2020. Retrieved January 22, 2020.