Resist (Within Temptation album)
|Studio album by Within Temptation|
|Released||December 14, 2018|
|Within Temptation chronology|
|Singles from Resist|
Resist is the seventh studio album by Dutch symphonic metal band Within Temptation. It is scheduled to be released on December 14, 2018. The album contains guest appearances by singer Jacoby Shaddix (Papa Roach), Anders Fridén (In Flames) and Jasper Steverlinck (Arid). The first single, "The Reckoning", was released at midnight on September 14, 2018, and features Shaddix as guest vocalist. The album marks the longest time gap between the band releases.
Background and composition
After extensive promotion and touring for the band's sixth album, lead vocalist Sharon den Adel went through a process of exhaustion and suffered from a writer's block. The vocalist also went through personal problems, which led her to abandon writing for the band for a while to focus on herself. During this time, den Adel managed to start composing again, but this time for herself as a form to cope with her difficulties at the time. As these songs were not rock oriented or fit for the band, she then decided to release them as a solo project entitled My Indigo. After going through this process and composing "smaller, much more direct, personal and vulnerable" kind of songs, the vocalist found herself again in the right state of mind to compose the "combative, powerful and big" kind of songs that Within Temptation needed and is known for. As of the end of 2017, while announcing her solo release, den Adel confirmed that the band was already back to the studio recording new songs for a possible 2018 album release, which was officially announced on September 13. It was also stated by the vocalist that this album was the most difficult one to be done by the band, as they didn't have any direction up until den Adel had recovered from her burnout and her personal problems managed. When finally having a direction to follow, the band was able to get the record done in less than a year. The album, although, marked the longest gap between studio releases by the band.
Speaking to Metal Hammer, den Adel stated that this album has taken pop music as an inspiration while giving it a dark and metal oriented treatment, as the band felt that modern music hasn't been edgy or daring in recent years. Although taking it as an inspiration, the band pointed that it won't be a pop record and it probably won't have any airplay on pop radio stations. The album will feature Papa Roach's Jacoby Shaddix, In Flames' Anders Fridén and Arid's Jasper Steverlinck as guest vocalists.
At the end of November 2017, before any recent signs of releasing new material, the band announced a European tour for the end of 2018 in hope for a possible release on that same year, considering that they had already some newly written songs. At the beginning of December, almost a year before the tour, two concerts were already sold out. The first single, entitled "The Reckoning", was released the day after the official album announcement, alongside with a lyric video. The single features Shaddix as a guest vocalist. The day after the 2018 edition of the Wacken Open Air, the festival announced the band as a performer for next year's edition. On September 24, the official music video for the first single was officially released. Dutch newspaper AD.nl stated on their website that the band was looking for extras for a new music video, in which the recording would be taking place on October 7, 2018, in the city of Zaandam. The newspaper published that they were seeking strong men to play futuristic police officers and thinner men and also women to portray futuristic robots. A few days later, also Dutch newspaper Tubantia stated that the chosen song was "Raise Your Banner", with Rogier Hendriks as director and a hundred extras appearing on it.
The first public review of the album came from British webzine Devolution. Reviewer Fary Trueman was positive about the record, praising its freshness amongst a musical genre that has got staler over the years, as the band were able to give contemporary pop music a "dark coat". The reviewer also praised Sharon den Adel's vocal performance while pointing that, even as a high point, it didn't overshadowed the band. Trueman ended his review alleging that the album could be Within Temptation's "Fallen moment", as he considered it "by far the best album they’ve put out to date".
|1.||"The Reckoning" (Featuring Jacoby Shaddix)||4:11|
|3.||"Raise Your Banner" (Featuring Anders Fridén)||5:34|
|7.||"Firelight" (Featuring Jasper Steverlinck)||4:46|
- Sharon den Adel – lead vocals
- Ruud Jolie – guitars
- Robert Westerholt – guitars
- Stefan Helleblad – guitars
- Martijn Spierenburg – keyboards
- Jeroen van Veen – bass guitar
- Mike Coolen – drums
- Jacoby Shaddix – male vocals on "The Reckoning"
- Anders Fridén – male vocals on "Raise Your Banner"
- Jasper Steverlinck – male vocals on "Firelight"
- "WITHIN TEMPTATION Singer Launches MY INDIGO Solo Project; Promises 2018 Release For Band's New Album". 11 November 2017.
- "Within Temptation announce new album Resist". Metal Hammer. 13 September 2018.
- "Within Temptation new album Resist". Loudwire. 13 September 2018.
- "Interview – Sharon den Adel Talks Rediscovery, My Indigo, & Within Temptation". Cryptic Rock. 18 April 2018. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- "Sharon den Adel: My Indigo dichter bij mezelf". RTL Nieuws. 15 April 2018. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- "Whole Lotta Talk - Episode 11: Sharon den Adel / Within Temptation". Rock Antenne. 9 October 2018. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "Within Temptation premiere single". sputnikmusic. 14 September 2018. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- "Within Temptation announce UK and European tour".
- "Within Temptation staat volgend jaar in Afas Live - Stadsgids - PAROOL". Het Parool.
- "Live Arena - Infos Concerts, Musiques et Festivals en Europe". live-arena.uk.
- "WITHIN TEMPTATION Announces Fall 2018 European Tour". 20 November 2017.
- "Within Temptation kondigt twee extra optredens aan - NU - Het laatste nieuws het eerst op NU.nl". www.nu.nl.
- "Within Temptation release new single The Reckoning". Metal Hammer. 14 September 2018. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- "Within Temptation announce new album, Resist, premiere "The Reckoning": Stream". Consequence of Sound. 14 September 2018. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- "The first bands for Wacken Open Air 2019". Wacken Official Website. 15 September 2018. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- "Within Temptation debuts dystopian "The Reckoning" video". Loudwire. 24 September 2018. Retrieved 26 September 2018.
- "Within Temptation is weg van het werk van Hengeloër Rogier". Tubantia (in Dutch). 6 October 2018. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "Review: Within Temptation – Resist". Devolution Magazine. 18 October 2018. Retrieved 25 October 2018.