Resolution (Doctor Who)
|287 – "Resolution"|
|Doctor Who episode|
|Directed by||Wayne Yip|
|Written by||Chris Chibnall|
|Script editor||Fiona McAllister|
|Produced by||Nikki Wilson|
|Incidental music composer||Segun Akinola|
|First broadcast||1 January 2019|
"Resolution" is an episode of the British science fiction television programme Doctor Who. It was written by showrunner, head writer and executive producer Chris Chibnall, directed by Wayne Yip, and was first broadcast on BBC One on 1 January 2019. The special follows the eleventh series as a New Year's Day special episode, instead of the traditional annual Christmas special. "Resolution" is the only episode of Doctor Who to air in 2019, as the twelfth series is set to air in early 2020.
The episode stars Jodie Whittaker as the Thirteenth Doctor, alongside Bradley Walsh, Tosin Cole, and Mandip Gill as her companions, Graham O'Brien, Ryan Sinclair and Yasmin Khan, respectively. The episode also sees the return of the Daleks. The episode was watched by 7.13 million viewers.
In the 9th century, three opposing factions narrowly succeeded in defeating a seemingly unbeatable enemy and hacked its body into three pieces to be hidden away in farthest corners of the Earth. The holder of the last piece is killed before he can bury the piece; which is subsequently discovered by Lin and Mitch, two archaeologists, in Sheffield on New Year's Day 2019. The last piece is unintentionally revived as it remotely summons the other two fragments to become whole.
While watching New Years' fireworks from different time periods, the Doctor and her team are alerted to this alien presence, arriving in the present day and meeting the two archaeologists. Lin reveals that she saw a large squid-like creature on a wall; the Doctor finds only a blob of slime. Unbeknown to everyone, the creature has attached itself to Lin's back and has taken control of her mind and body.
Returning to Graham and Ryan's home, the crew discover that Ryan's hitherto absent father, Aaron, has returned, and wishes to make amends with his son for not being there, especially since Grace’s death. Graham reluctantly allows Ryan to go with Aaron to a local cafe so the two can talk. Meanwhile, the Doctor and Yaz try to follow the creature, which has made Lin steal a police car and uniform. After examining the slime, the Doctor discovers that she is following a scout Dalek.
The Dalek, still controlling Lin, arrives at an archive base, killing its guard and using his fingerprints to access to the archives. Recovering a Dalek ray gun from the archive, she then travels to a rural warehouse, killing the owner and constructing a makeshift Dalek casing out of scrap metal. Eventually, the Doctor and company find Lin freed from the now-rebuilt Dalek's control. After killing a military patrol, the Dalek flies to Government Communications Headquarters, massacring the staff, and attempts to summon the Dalek fleet in order to conquer the Earth.
The Doctor, her TARDIS crew, Aaron and the two archaeologists immediately go to GCHQ and scupper the fleet-summoning signal, destroying the Dalek's casing in the process. However, the mutant survives and possesses Aaron, threatening to kill him unless the Doctor takes it to Skaro to rally the fleet. The Doctor agrees, but instead takes the Dalek mutant to a supernova. Ryan saves Aaron at the last moment as the Dalek mutant is cast into the supernova.
Along with the regular series, special Christmas episodes were also broadcast every year between 2005, the year of the programme's revival, and 2017. "Twice Upon a Time" (2017) marked the final special episode created for Christmas, after the traditional special episode was moved to New Year's Day in 2019. The episode title was announced on 8 December 2018 as "Resolution".
Chibnall stated during filming for the eleventh series, which included "Resolution", that the Daleks would not be featured; however, on 25 December 2018, the BBC announced that the New Year's Day special would feature the return of the Daleks.
Broadcast and reception
|Rotten Tomatoes (Average Score)||8.14|
|Rotten Tomatoes (Tomatometer)||94%|
|New York Magazine|||
|The A.V. Club||A-|
"Resolution" is the only episode of Doctor Who to air in 2019, as the twelfth series is set to air in early 2020. Similar to "The Woman Who Fell to Earth", "Resolution" featured no opening titles.
"Resolution" was watched by 5.15 million viewers overnight, a share of 22.4% of the total United Kingdom TV audience, making it the fourth-highest overnight viewership for the night, but also the lowest overnight viewership for a Doctor Who annual event. The episode received an official total of 7.13 million viewers across all UK channels, making it the 14th most watched programme of the week, and it had an Audience Appreciation Index score of 80.
The special holds an approval rating of 94% on Rotten Tomatoes, and an average of 8.14/10 based on 18 reviews. The website's critical consensus reads, "With a fresh take on familiar villains and a renewed sense of stakes, Resolution is a strong series special that surprises in both story and spectacle."
- Dee, Christel (14 November 2018). "Doctor Who festive special to air on New Year's Day". Doctor Who TV. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- Fullerton, Huw (8 December 2018). "Doctor Who New Year's special title revealed – but what does it mean?". Radio Times. Archived from the original on 8 December 2018. Retrieved 8 December 2018.
- Fullerton, Huw (20 July 2018). "Doctor Who series 11 will not feature any Daleks confirms new showrunner". Retrieved 20 July 2018.
- Jones, Paul (26 December 2018). "Classic villain to return for Doctor Who New Year special". RadioTimes. Retrieved 26 December 2018.
- Fullerton, Huw (19 July 2018). "Jodie Whittaker WILL get a Doctor Who Christmas special after all". RadioTimes. Retrieved 20 July 2018.
- Fullerton, Huw (5 December 2018). "Doctor Who New Year's special casts Charlotte Ritchie, Nikesh Patel and Daniel Adegboyega". RadioTimes. Retrieved 6 December 2018.
- Fullerton, Huw (9 December 2018). "Doctor Who New Year's Day special trailer promises epic festive fun". Radio Times. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "Doctor Who: Resolution (2019 New Year's Special)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 3 January 2019.
- Coggan, Devan (1 January 2019). "Doctor Who recap: The Doctor faces her deadliest foe in a delightful New Year's special". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 3 January 2019.
- Ruediger, Ross (2 January 2019). "Doctor Who New Year's Special Recap: Reconnaissance of the Dalek". Vulture.com. Retrieved 3 January 2019.
- Mulkern, Patrick (1 January 2019). "Doctor Who New Year's Day special review: it's time to enjoy some fireworks as an old foe returns". Radio Times. Retrieved 1 January 2019.
- Siede, Caroline (1 January 2019). "Doctor Who is full of fireworks in its exhilarating New Year's Day special". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 3 January 2019.
- Lawrence, Ben (1 January 2019). "Doctor Who: Resolution, review – the Daleks return in a thrilling New Year's Day special". The Telegraph. Retrieved 1 January 2019.
- Lawson, Mark (1 January 2019). "Doctor Who: Resolution review – old foes and Brexit gags in spectacular satire". The Guardian. Retrieved 1 January 2019.
- Power, Ed (2 January 2019). "Doctor Who review, 'Resolution': The Daleks return for a New Year's special that honours tradition". The Independent. Retrieved 3 January 2019.
- Midgeley, Carol (2 January 2019). "Never underestimate the power of a six-pack". The Times (72733). Times2. p. 7. ISSN 0140-0460.
- Keng, Diana (2 January 2019). "Doctor Who Season 11 Episode 11 Review: Resolution". TV Fanatic. Retrieved 3 January 2019.
- Hurley, Laura (26 December 2018). "Doctor Who Teases The Return Of An Iconic Villain In New Year's Special". Cinema Blend. Retrieved 1 January 2019.
- "11 burning questions we have after watching the Doctor Who New Year's special".
- Marcus (2 January 2019). "Resolution – Overnight Viewing Figures". Doctor Who News. Retrieved 2 January 2019.
- Ritman, Alex (2 January 2019). "'Doctor Who' Festive Special Hits 13-Year Ratings Low for BBC". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 3 January 2019.
- Marcus (16 January 2019). "Resolution – Final Figures". Doctor Who News. Retrieved 16 January 2019.
- "Doctor Who New Year's Day Special – Resolution DVD". The Doctor Who Site. 13 December 2018. Retrieved 13 December 2018.
- "Doctor Who: Christmas Special 2018 (DVD)". Retrieved 13 December 2018 – via Amazon.
- "Doctor Who: Resolution (DVD)". Retrieved 20 December 2018 – via Sanity.
- Marcus (12 December 2018). "Doctor Who - Series 11 Soundtrack". Doctor Who News. Retrieved 12 December 2018.
- "Doctor Who Series 11 Soundtrack Digital Booklet" (PDF). www.silvascreen.com. Retrieved 2019-01-11.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Thirteenth Doctor|