|Directed by||Treb Monteras|
|Produced by||Monster Jimenez|
|Music by||Jay Durias|
|Edited by||Lawrence S. Ang|
Respeto (Respect) is a 2017 Philippine drama independent film starring Filipino hip hop artist Abra, and directed by Alberto "Treb" Monteras II. It was co-written by Monteras and screenwriter Njel de Mesa, who drew inspiration from the works of veteran poets such as Vim Nadera and National Artists Bienvenido Lumbera and Virgilio Almario.
The final film features a guest cameo appearance by poet Vim Nadera. Aside from Abra and de la Paz, the film co-stars Chai Fonacier, Ybes Bagadiong, Brian Arda, Thea Yrastorza, Kate Alejandrino, and Filipino rapper Loonie.
This article's plot summary may be too long or excessively detailed. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Abra as Hendrix
- Dido de la Paz as Doc
- Loonie as Breezy G
- Chai Fonacier as Betchai
- Ybes Bagadiong as Payaso
- Brian Arda as Mando
- Thea Yrastorza as Connie
- Kate Alejandrino as Candy
It has received critical acclaim for its powerful use of the Filipino poetry in the form of Pinoy hip hop rap battles and Balagtasan poetry,, the performance of veteran theater actor Dido de la Paz, and what film critic Philbert Dy calls its "rather powerful examination of a generational relationship with government-backed violence."
Awards and nominations
- "Info-Sheet: RESPETO (RESPECT)" (PDF). culturalcenter.gov.ph. Cultural Center of the Philippines. 2017.
- Cruz, Oggs (2017-08-09). "Movie Reviews: All 9 films at the 2017 Cinemalaya Film Festival". Rappler. Retrieved 2017-08-14.
- Liao, Archie (2017-08-10). "Multi-Palanca award winner Njel de Mesa talks about his immersion in 'Respeto' - PSR.ph". PSR.ph. Retrieved 2017-08-14.
- Mayo, Stephanie (2017-08-12). "CINEMALAYA REVIEW - 'Respeto': prose and pain". Concept News Central. Retrieved 2017-08-14.
- Concepcion, Pocholo (2017-08-06). "Rap star Abra, Pinoy hip-hop culture, Jay Durias' music score in Cinemalaya film". Retrieved 2017-08-14.
- Quintos, Patrick. "Rebyu: Respeto para sa 'Respeto'". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2017-08-14.
- Dy, Philbert (2017-08-10). "The Best and Worst of This Year's Cinemalaya". Rogue Media Inc.
- "'Respeto' bags Cinemalaya 2017 Best Film award". CNN Philippines. Retrieved 2017-08-14.
- Concepcion, Pocholo (2017-08-14). "'Respeto' bags 6 Cinemalaya awards". Retrieved 2017-08-14.
|This Philippines-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|