Response Boat – Medium
A US Coast Guard RB-M underway off Yorktown, Virginia
|Operators:||United States Coast Guard|
|Length:||44 ft 9 in (13.64 m)|
|Beam:||14 ft 7.75 in (4.4641 m)|
|Draft:||3 ft 4 in (1.02 m)|
|Installed power:||2 × MTU Detroit Diesel turbocharged Series 60 engines, 825 hp (615 kW) total|
|Propulsion:||2 × Rolls-Royce FF-Series waterjets|
|Range:||250 nmi (460 km; 290 mi) at 30 knots (56 km/h; 35 mph)|
The Response Boat – Medium (RB-M) is a 45-foot (14 m) utility boat used by the United States Coast Guard. It is a replacement for the Coast Guard's retired fleet of 41-foot (12 m) utility boats (UTB), which had been in use by the Coast Guard since the 1970s. The Coast Guard plans to acquire 170 of these RB-Ms over a 6–10 year period. The boats will be built by Kvichak Marine Industries of Kent, Washington and Marinette Marine Corporation of Marinette, Wisconsin.
According to the US Coast Guard, "While primarily a Search and Rescue (SAR) asset when the 41' UTB was first fielded, the evolution of missions has increased the requirement to perform many missions including Recreational Boating Safety (RBS), Marine Environmental Protection (MEP), Enforcement of Laws and Treaties (ELT), Ports, Waterways, and Coastal Security (PWCS) and Defense Operations (DO), including those traditional missions associated with Homeland Security."
The boat has a deep-V, double chine hull, which provides a balance of performance and stability. The vessel is self-righting if it capsizes in rough seas. Below the pilot house are six compartments:
- FLIR navigator thermal imager
- Furuno Scalable Integrated Navigation System (SINS)
- Furuno radios
- Gentex LVIS digital intercom system
- Taiyo TD-L1550A VHF Direction Finder
- Motorola 5000 digital mobile radio
- Mount for KY-99 makes RB-M ready for secure communications
- L3 Communications Automatic Identification System (AIS)
In keeping with standard USCG practice, boats of this size have hull numbers and are not named. This type of boat has a hull number beginning with the length of the boat (45′) and then a sequential number. In the case of the RB-M boats, the hull numbers begin with 601. Thus the first boat will be RB-M 45601.
|45601||Little Creek, Virginia||March 2008|
|45602||Cape Disappointment, Washington||August 2008|
|45603||Key West, Florida||October 2008|
|45604||Milwaukee, Wisconsin||October 2008|
|45605||Staten Island, New York||December 2008|
|45606||Port Aransas, Texas||January 2009|
|45607||Yorktown, Virginia||February 2009|
|45608||Boston, Massachusetts||March 2009|
|45609||San Juan, Puerto Rico||May 2009|
|45610||Staten Island, New York||July 2009|
|45611||Port Aransas, Texas||July 2009|
|45612||Staten Island, New York||August 2009|
|45613||Maui, Hawaii||September 2009|
|45614||Staten Island, New York||August 2009|
|45615||Little Creek, Virginia||November 2009|
|45616||Staten Island, New York||December 2009|
|45617||Port Canaveral, Florida||November 2009|
|45618||Galveston, Texas||January 2010|
|45619||Honolulu, Hawaii||March 2010|
|45620||Castle Hill, Rhode Island||November 2009|
|45621||Panama City, Florida||January 2010|
|45622||Staten Island, New York||December 2009|
|45623||St. Petersburg, Florida||June 2010|
|45624||Cleveland Harbor, Ohio||April 2010|
|45625||Lake Worth Inlet, Florida||July 2010|
|45626||Belle Isle, Michigan||April 2010|
|45627||Honolulu, Hawaii||August 2010|
|45628||Duluth, Minnesota||May 2010|
|45629||Castle Hill, Rhode Island||June 2010|
|45630||Galveston, Texas||June 2010|
|45631||Fort Lauderdale, Florida||July 2010|
|45632||Belle Isle, Michigan||August 2010|
|45633||Panama City, Florida||August 2010|
|45634||Fort Pierce, Florida||September 2010|
|45635||Duluth, Minnesota||September 2010|
|45636||New Orleans, Louisiana||September 2010|
|45640||Annapolis, Maryland||November 2010|
|45643||Los Angeles/Long Beach, California||December 2010|
|45651||Los Angeles/Long Beach, California||March 2011|
|45652||Los Angeles/Long Beach, California||March 2011|
|45703||Essexville, Michigan||October 2012|
|45723||Youngstown, New York||May 2013|
|45745||Hudgins, Virginia||February 2014|
|45757||Erie, Pennsylvania||May 2014|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to USCG Response Boat-Medium.|
- "Homeland Security Budget-in-Brief Fiscal Year 2009" (pdf). United States Department of Homeland Security. 2009. p. 60. Retrieved 31 January 2010.
- "Response Boat – Medium" (pdf). Acquisition Directorate. United States Coast Guard. February 2013.
- "Response Boat – Medium". Acquisition Directorate. United States Coast Guard. 19 September 2013.
- "Title unknown" (Press release). United States Coast Guard. 28 June 2007. (subscription required (. ))
- "Response Boat - Medium Major Acquisition Project". United States Coast Guard.[not in citation given]
- "Response Boat-Medium: Project Profile". Acquisition Directorate. United States Coast Guard. 19 September 2013.
- "Response Boat-Medium Acquisition Project". Responseboat Project. Archived from the original on 2009-03-09.
- "RB-M: Acquisition Project History". United States Coast Guard. Retrieved 2010-02-14.[dead link]
- "Production Update". Responseboat Project. Archived from the original on 2009-03-10. Retrieved 2010-02-14.
- "Response Boat – Medium History". Kvichak Marine Industries.