|Directed by||Andrew Bujalski|
|Produced by||Sam Slater|
|Written by||Andrew Bujalski|
Anthony Michael Hall
|Music by||Justin Rice|
|Edited by||Robin Schwartz|
Burn Later Productions
Houston King Productions
|Distributed by||Magnolia Pictures|
Results is a 2015 indie romantic comedy film written and directed by Andrew Bujalski. The film stars Guy Pearce, Cobie Smulders, Kevin Corrigan, Giovanni Ribisi, Brooklyn Decker, Anthony Michael Hall, and Constance Zimmer.
Ahead of its Sundance Film Festival Premiere, Results was acquired by Magnolia Pictures. The film had its premiere at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival on January 27, 2015. The film was released in a limited release and through video on demand on May 29, 2015.
- Guy Pearce as Trevor
- Cobie Smulders as Kat
- Kevin Corrigan as Danny
- Giovanni Ribisi as Paul
- Brooklyn Decker as Erin
- Anthony Michael Hall as Grigory
- Constance Zimmer as Mandy
- Tishuan Scott as Lorenzo
- Zoe Graham as Talley
- David Bernon as Ivan
- Elizabeth Berridge as Christine
- Katie Folger as Riley
- Elizabeth McQueen as herself (cameo)
- Paul Qui as himself (cameo)
- Zack Carlson as himself (cameo)
Results was announced in the U.S. Dramatic Competition category of the 2015 Sundance Film Festival and debuted at the Festival on January 27, 2015. The film was screened at many other festivals including closing the Capital City Film Festival, South by Southwest, Cleveland International Film Festival, and Dallas International Film Festival. Results was released in a limited release and through video on demand on May 29, 2015.
Review aggregators Rotten Tomatoes gives the film an 83% approval rating, with an average score of 6.4/10, based on reviews from 72 critics. The consensus states: "Results moves stubbornly at its own deliberate pace, but the well-chosen cast — and writer-director Andrew Bujalski's insightful observations — offer rich rewards for patient viewers." Metacritic gives the film a score of 73 out of 100 based on reviews from 29 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
Kyle Smith of the New York Post criticized the casting: "Cobie Smulders, comes across as a walking iceberg only with less of a sense of humor" whilst Pearce's "bland character is even duller than she is". Smith said Corrigan "is pretty much the last guy on Earth you’d want to cast in a romcom (well, maybe second to last: Kevin Smith). And yet he’s the best thing about the movie" However, Richard Lawson of Vanity Fair believed that "Pearce, Smulders, and Corrigan give fluid, easygoing performances, never condescending to their characters no matter how pitiful they might be. Smulders is especially engaging—she makes Kat prickly and short-tempered but never entirely unlikable". Scott Foundas of Variety said, "Bujalski wrote Results with specific actors in mind, and the roles fit them as snugly as spandex leotards". Sarah Salovaara of the Filmmaker Magazine said that “Beyond modesty, Bujalski and his longtime d.p. Matthias Grunsky demonstrate a great handle on the comic potential of framing.”
Alexander Lowe gave Results 3 out of 5 stars and said, "[W]hile not a perfect film by any means, the plot is light and enjoyable, the performances are tight and the conclusion is satisfying. All of that is far more than can be said for the vast majority of romantic comedies in recent years, so at the very least, Results should be commended for that."
- "Results". sundance.org.
- John DeFore (January 27, 2015). "'Results': Sundance Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 30, 2015.
- Jeremy Kay (September 18, 2014). "First-look picture: Results". screendaily.com. Retrieved December 30, 2014.
- Dave McNary (January 22, 2015). "Sundance: Magnolia Buys 'Results' with Guy Pearce, Cobie Smulders". variety.com. Retrieved January 23, 2015.
- John Stewart (January 22, 2015). "Sundance 2015: Magnolia Pictures picks up Cobie Smulders, Guy Pearce film 'Results'". theslanted.com. Retrieved January 23, 2015.
- "Results". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved July 28, 2015.
- "play dates". Retrieved April 9, 2015.
- Hugh Armitage (June 23, 2014). "Guy Pearce, Cobie Smulders join Andrew Bujalski's Results". digitalspy.co.uk. Retrieved December 30, 2014.
- Edward Davis (September 18, 2014). "First Look: Cobie Smulders & Guy Pearce In Andrew Bujalski's 'Results'". indiewire.com. Retrieved December 30, 2014.
- Nicolas Rapold (June 6, 2014). "Vanishing Into the Role. Guy Pearce Stars in 'The Rover'". nytimes.com. Retrieved December 30, 2014.
- Kimberely Jones (December 3, 2014). "Results Is In. Sundance Film Festival to premiere Andrew Bujalski's latest". The Austin Chronicle. Retrieved December 30, 2014.
- Tribune Staff (December 3, 2014). "Here are the 66 competition titles for the 2015 Sundance Film Festival". The Salt Lake Tribune. Retrieved December 30, 2014.
- Mike Hughes (April 7, 2015). "Capital City Film Festival a great mix of movies, music". lansingstatejournal.com. Retrieved April 9, 2015.
- Meredith Goldstein (March 16, 2015). "Andrew Bujalski brings 'Results' to SXSW". bostonglobe.com. Retrieved April 9, 2015.
- Clint O'Connor (April 2, 2015). "CIFF 39 carryover: 7 festival films headed back to Cleveland". cleveland.com. Retrieved April 9, 2015.
- "2015 DIFF FILM GUIDE / SCHEDULE". dallasfilm.org. Retrieved April 9, 2015.
- "Official website". Magonlia Pictures. Retrieved April 9, 2015.
- "Results". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved May 13, 2015.
- "Results". Metacritic. Retrieved May 13, 2015.
- Kyle Smith (January 29, 2015). "Miscast romcom 'Results' has neither romance nor comedy". New York Post. Retrieved January 30, 2015.
- Richard Lawson (January 29, 2015). "Sundance Reviews: Cobie Smulders Shows Her Range and Scientology Gets a Searing Takedown". Vanity Fair. Retrieved January 30, 2015.
- Scott Foundas (January 30, 2015). "Sundance Film Review: 'Results'". Variety. Retrieved January 30, 2015.
- Sarah Salvaara (January 29, 2015). "Results Review [Sundance 2015]". filmmakermagazine.com.
- Alexander Lowe (March 19, 2015). "Results Review [SXSW 2015]". wegotthiscovered.com. Retrieved April 9, 2015.