Resurrection (U.S. TV series)
|Based on||The Returned
by Jason Mott
|Developed by||Aaron Zelman|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||21 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||42–44 minutes|
|Picture format||720p (HDTV)|
|Original release||March 9, 2014– January 25, 2015|
Resurrection is an American fantasy drama television series about dead people who return to life. The series is based on the book The Returned by Jason Mott. The series was co-produced by ABC Studios and Plan B Entertainment, led by Brad Pitt, Aaron Zelman, JoAnn Alfano, Jon Liebman, Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner, Michele Fazekas, and Tara Butters. The series aired from March 9, 2014, through January 25, 2015. On May 7, 2015, ABC cancelled Resurrection after two seasons.
The series follows the residents of Arcadia, Missouri, whose lives are upended when their loved ones return from the dead, unaged since their deaths. Among the returned is Jacob Langston (Landon Gimenez), an eight-year-old boy who drowned in 1982. Having been found alive in China, Jacob is brought back to the United States by an immigration agent named J. Martin ("Marty") Bellamy (Omar Epps), who defies orders and returns Jacob to his parents, Henry (Kurtwood Smith) and Lucille (Frances Fisher). Jacob's surprise return inspires his uncle, Arcadia Sheriff Fred Langston (Matt Craven), and Fred's daughter Dr. Maggie Langston (Devin Kelley), whose wife/mother drowned while allegedly trying to rescue the boy, to learn more about this mystery. Caleb Richards (Sam Hazeldine), the father of Maggie's best friend Elaine Richards (Samaire Armstrong), becomes the second Arcadia resident to return, and he warns that there are many more to follow.
Cast and characters
- Omar Epps as Immigration and Customs Agent J. Martin "Marty" Bellamy/Robert Thompson
- Frances Fisher as Lucille Langston
- Matt Craven as Sheriff Fred Langston
- Devin Kelley as Dr. Maggie Langston
- Mark Hildreth as Pastor Tom Hale
- Samaire Armstrong as Elaine Richards
- Landon Gimenez as Jacob Langston
- Kurtwood Smith as Henry Langston
- Kathleen Munroe as Rachael Braidwood
- Kevin Sizemore as Gary Humphrey
- James Tupper as Dr. Eric Ward
- Tamlyn Tomita as Dr. Toni Willis
- Travis Young as Ray Richards
- Veronica Cartwright as Helen Edgerton
- Lori Beth Sikes as Janine Hale
- April Billingsley as Barbara Langston
- Ned Bellamy as Sam Catlin
- Sam Hazeldine as Caleb Richards (season 1)
- Jwaundace Candece as Mrs. Camille Thompson
- Shawn Shepard as Mr. Wallace Thompson
- Nadej Bailey as Jenny Thompson
- Christopher Berry as Deputy Carl Enders
- Glenn Fleshler as Mikey Enders (season 2)
- Michelle Fairley as Margaret Langston (season 2)
- Donna Murphy as Elegant Woman/Angela Forrester (season 2)
- Kyle Secor as Brian Addison (season 2)
- T.J. Linnard as William Kirk (season 2)
- Jim Parrack as Preacher James Goodman (season 2)
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired||Nielsen ratings|
|First aired||Last aired||Rank||Average viewers
|1||8||March 9, 2014||May 4, 2014||#11||12.96|
|2||13||September 28, 2014||January 25, 2015||#81||6.93|
Development and production
In January 2013, ABC ordered the project to pilot status and in March brought in Charles McDougall as director as part of a two-year deal he signed with ABC Studios. On March 7, 2013, ABC released its list of potential hour-long pilot pick-ups, with the title changed to Forever. The title changed again after ABC ordered it to series in May 2013.
Resurrection scored 60 out of 100 on Metacritic based on 29 reviews, indicating a "mixed or average" response. Another review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 52% rating with an average rating of 5.7 out of 10, based on 33 reviews.
|Season||Timeslot (ET)||Episodes||Premiered||Ended||TV Season||Rank||Viewers
In Australia, the series premiered on March 25, 2014 on Seven Network. Its debut episode was the highest rating series premiere for two years in Australia, attracting an audience of 1.9 million mainland capital city viewers (beating previous record holder Revenge whose first episode reached 2.06 million viewers), and topping all three key advertising demographics. The second season premiered on February 22, 2015, at the new time of 10:30 p.m. every Sunday. The second season premiered to just 112,000 in its new time period, the worst ever result for the series. In New Zealand, it premiered on July 16, 2014 on TV2.
In Ireland, the series debuted in summer 2014 on RTÉ Two. In the United Kingdom, the show began airing on pay-tv channel, Watch on August 18, 2014. The second season premiered on March 19, 2015.
Home media release
ABC and Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment scheduled the release of the first season of Resurrection in DVD format for June 10, 2014. The two-disc set features all eight episodes and bonus features, such as "On Location in Georgia", "Resurrection: Building a Mystery", bloopers, and deleted scenes.
- They Came Back, a 2004 film with a similar premise
- Les Revenants, a 2012 French TV series with a similar premise
- The Returned, a 2015 American TV adaptation of Les Revenants
- Richardson, Lance (March 7, 2014). "Resurrection Is Based on The Returned, but Not the One You Think". Slate. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- Eng, Joyce (March 6, 2014). "Resurrection Bosses: The Dead's Return Is Not About "Why," But "What If?"". TV Guide. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- "'Forever', 'Cristela', 'Resurrection' & 'The Taste' Cancelled by ABC". TVByTheNumbers. May 7, 2015. Retrieved May 8, 2015.
- "Game of Thrones star Michelle Fairley returns to TV in a season-long arc on ABC's Resurrection". American Broadcasting Company. 23 July 2014. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- Deadline Team, The (May 23, 2014). "Full 2013-14 Series Rankings". Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- de Moraes, Lisa (May 21, 2015). "Full 2014-15 Series Rankings". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 22, 2015.
- Andreeva, Nellie (January 22, 2013). "ABC Picks Up Comedy 'Pulling', Dramas From McG, David Zabel & Brad Pitt". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (February 4, 2013). "Charles McDougall Signs Overall Deal With ABC Studios, Will Direct 'The Returned' Pilot". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- "2013 ABC Program Development Guide — Drama Series". The Futon Critic. April 4, 2013. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- "Development Update: Friday, May 10 – Four More Make the Cut at ABC". The Futon Critic. May 10, 2013. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- "Resurrection : Season 1". Metacritic. Retrieved April 27, 2014.
- "Resurrection: Season 1 (2014)". Flixster, Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved April 27, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (March 11, 2014). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Resurrection', 'Once Upon a Time' & 'The Amazing Race' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (May 6, 2014). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Once Upon a Time', The Simpsons', 'Dateline' & 'Resurrection' Adjusted Up; 'The Good Wife' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 6, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (October 13, 2014). "Premiere Week Live+7 Ratings: NBC, CBS Win Network Race, ‘Gotham’, ‘How To Get Away With Murder’ Lead DVR Gains". Deadline. Retrieved October 20, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (January 27, 2015). "Sunday Final Ratings: No Adjustment for 'Galavant', 'Revenge' or 'CSI'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 27, 2015.
- de Moraes, Lisa (May 21, 2014). "Full 2014–15 TV Season Series Rankings: Football & ‘Empire’ Ruled". Deadline.com. Archived from the original on May 22, 2015. Retrieved May 22, 2014.
- "Airdate: Resurrection". TV Tonight. March 17, 2014. Retrieved April 30, 2014.
- "Beats MKR: Resurrection a ratings blockbuster for Seven". Sydney Morning Herald. March 26, 2014. Retrieved March 31, 2014.
- "Returning: Resurrection, Parenthood.". TV Tonight. February 18, 2015. Retrieved March 6, 2015.
- "Room Reveal Takes Block To The Top". TV Tonight. February 23, 2015. Retrieved March 6, 2015.
- "Airdate: Resurrection". TV2. July 16, 2014. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- "City Unveils Prime-Time Schedule for 2013–14 Season". Channel Canada. Retrieved February 17, 2015.
- "Resurrection — Episode Guide". CTV Television Network. Bell Media. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- "New shows and favourites on RTÉ TV this summer". RTÉ Ten. RTÉ. June 3, 2014. Retrieved January 28, 2015.
- "Watch Sets UK Premiere Date For ‘Resurrection’". TVWise. Retrieved July 30, 2014.
- Munn, Patrick (February 10, 2015). "Watch Sets UK Premiere Date For ‘Resurrection’ Season 2". TV Wise. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- Lambert, David (March 17, 2014). "Resurrection – ABC/Disney Announces 'Season 1' with Omar Epps, Frances Fisher, Kurtwood Smith". TV Shows on DVD. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- Lambert, David (May 8, 2014). "Resurrection – ABC/Disney's Formal Press Release for 'The Complete 1st Season'". TV Shows on DVD. Retrieved May 12, 2014.