|Initial release||24 July 2009|
2.4.0 / December 19, 2019
|Operating system||Unix, Linux, OS X, Windows, BSD|
|License||Apache License 2.0|
RethinkDB is a free and open-source, distributed document-oriented database originally created by the company of the same name. The database stores JSON documents with dynamic schemas, and is designed to facilitate pushing real-time updates for query results to applications. Initially seed funded by Y Combinator in June 2009, the company announced in October 2016 that it had been unable to build a sustainable business and its products would in future be entirely open-sourced without commercial support.
RethinkDB was founded in 2009, and open-sourced at version 1.2 in 2012 . In 2015, RethinkDB released version 2.0, announcing that it was production-ready. On October 5, 2016, the company announced it was shutting down, transitioning members of its engineering team to Stripe, and would no longer offer production support. On February 6, 2017, The Cloud Native Computing Foundation purchased the rights to the source code and relicensed it under the Apache License 2.0.
Comparison with other document databases
A distinguishing feature of RethinkDB is the first class support for real-time change feeds. A change query returns a cursor which allows blocking or non-blocking requests to keep track of a potentially infinite stream of real-time changes.
Due to seeming stagnation, RethinkDB was forked by members of the community on May 17, 2018.  The new project, called RebirthDB, is also hosted on GitHub. The project later merged back with the original repository.
- Jeremy Zawodny, RethinkDB: Rethinking the Database using Modern Assumptions, Linux Magazine, August 24, 2009
- Jason Kincaid (July 28, 2009). "YC-Funded RethinkDB, A MySQL Storage Engine Built From The Ground Up For Solid State Drives". TechCrunch.
- "Stripe hires engineering team behind failed database startup". FinTech Global. October 6, 2016.
- "RethinkDB joins the Linux Foundation". Rethinkdb.com.
- "RethinkDB is out: an open-source distributed database". Rethinkdb.com. Retrieved 2018-04-29.
- "RethinkDB releases first production version of its real-time database". Siliconangle.com. Retrieved 2016-02-09.
- Akhmechet, Slava (2016-10-05). "RethinkDB is shutting down - RethinkDB". Rethinkdb.com. Archived from the original on 2016-10-06.
- Mewes, Daniel (2016-10-05). "Removed production support link from README :(". Github.com. Retrieved 2016-10-06.
- "RethinkDB joins The Linux Foundation - RethinkDB". Rethinkdb.com. Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- "CNCF Purchases RethinkDB Source Code and Contributes It to The Linux Foundation Under the Apache License - Cloud Native Computing Foundation". Cloud Native Computing Foundation. 2017-02-06. Retrieved 2017-02-06.
- "Introducing the official RethinkDB Java client driver - RethinkDB". Rethinkdb.com. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "DB-Engines Ranking". db-engines.com. Retrieved 26 December 2015.
- "Changefeeds in RethinkDB". Retrieved 2 Dec 2016.
- "GitHub discussion to fork RethinkDB". Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- "RebirthDB will merge to RethinkDB · RethinkDB". Spectrum. 2018-09-05. Retrieved 2018-11-09.