|Studio album by Daniel Johnston|
|Released||January 1, 1985|
|Daniel Johnston chronology|
Retired Boxer is the seventh self-released music cassette album by singer-songwriter Daniel Johnston, recorded in 1984. His song "True Love Will Find You in the End" has become one of his best-known songs, covered by many other artists, beginning with The Reivers in 1987 (and later included on the 2002 reissue of their album Saturday). Beck recorded a cover of the song which appeared on the Daniel Johnston tribute album, The Late Great Daniel Johnston: Discovered Covered. Wilco also recorded a version of this song as a B-Side to their 1999 song "A Shot In The Arm". Basia Bulat has performed the song frequently in concert. Matthew Good recorded a version of the same song for his 2007 album Hospital Music, as well as Mates of State on their 2010 album Crushes (The Covers Mixtape). The song was also used in a 2012 commercial for a men's hair care product.
The nine songs on the album are done in Daniel's confessional piano ballad style that had been exemplified on his eight previous cassette albums. This album, like those before it was recorded with a consumer grade tape player. Evidence of this is found in the warbling tape hiss and distortion along with Daniel's pitched up voice. All of which are easily recognizable traits of lo-fidelity recordings.
All songs written by Daniel Johnston.
- "I'll Do Anything but Break Dance for Ya, Darling" - 6:02
- "Bye Bye Barbie" - 1:18
- "Fighting with Myself" - 2:28
- "Too Young to Die" - 3:47
- "This Song" - 1:19
- "Feels Good" - 4:18
- "Oh No" - 3:58
- "Strange Boy" - 5:01
- "True Love Will Find You in the End" - 1:54
- Robbins, Ira. "CD Review | Daniel Johnston: Retired Boxer". trouserpress. Trouser Press LLC. Retrieved 2009-12-17.
- Joe Fassler, "Jeff Tweedy's Subconscious Songwriting", The Atlantic, September 16, 2014.
- Peter Blackstock, "Basia Bulat's brave new old world", No Depression #76, October 1, 2008.
- Kory Grow, "Daniel Johnston Song Makes Axe Ad A Little Less Stinky", Spin, August 21, 2012.