A retirement home – sometimes called an old people's home or old age home, although this term can also refer to a nursing home –  is a multi-residence housing facility intended for senior citizens. Typically, each person or couple in the home has an apartment-style room or suite of rooms. Additional facilities are provided within the building. This can include facilities for meals, gatherings, recreation activities, and some form of health or hospice care. A place in a retirement home can be paid for on a rental basis, like an apartment, or can be bought in perpetuity on the same basis as a condominium.
The number of retirement homes has been increasing in the United States, from almost 11,000 in 2003 to 12,000 in 2010.
- "old people's home - Definition and pronunciation | Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com". Oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com. Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- "old people's home - Definition from Longman English Dictionary Online". Ldoceonline.com. Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- "What Is Nursing Home Quality and How Is It Measured?". Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "What is a Retirement Home?". Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- Media related to Retirement homes at Wikimedia Commons