Return (iKon album)
|Studio album by|
|Released||January 25, 2018|
|Singles from Return|
Return is the second studio album by South Korean male group iKON. It was released on January 25, 2018. The production of the album was handled by iKON leader B.I and YG producers. The album's lead and only single "Love Scenario" was released alongside the album.
After releasing their debut album Welcome Back in 2015, the group went on several touring for two years, embarking on their first Asia tour and two Japanese tours, including Japan Dome tour, the group gathered over 800,000 fans from these tours, breaking several records for a rookie artists, including being the fastest group to make a concert in Japan dome since debut. During touring the group released two singles, "WYD?" and "New Kids: Begin".
Since September 2017, iKON had filmed new music videos, Yang Hyun Suk shared a video of the group music video on his personal social media account on September 20, the following month the members stated that they working on music and will release it. On December, YG Entertainment announced that the group will make their comeback in January 2018, Yang shared another teaser of music video filming scene through his social media. On January 6, iKON released a comeback teaser film, with the title of the album Return, marking the group's first studio album in 2 years and a month since their first official album Welcome Back. The film was directed by VM Project Architecture, and included had monologue from iKON member Bobby. iKON said they chose the album name because it conveys the feeling of looking back at their starting point and initial intentions. On January 12, YG Entertainment revealed the first poster with the official release date through their official blog, with the date January 25. The following day they announced the lead single "Love Scenario". Later the tracklist was revealed, eight new tracks with four Korean versions of songs previously released in Japan. B.I was credited as both composer and lyricist in all 12 songs, with other YG artists and producers who worked on the album including Psy, Tablo, Choice37, Teddy Park, Bekuh BOOM, Millennium, Yoo Gun-hyung, and others.
Release and promotion
The album was made available for pre-orders on January 18. The album was made available on major streaming platforms on January 25, while the physical release occurred on January 26. The album has two different versions, Red and Black, with a 120-page photo book, 8 postcards, photo cards, selfie cards, and photo films, while limited quantities produced in initial production included a poster.
iKON held a live broadcast via Naver V Live, 19 hours prior to their new album release, with the number of viewers surpassing 200,000. The group were also guests on JTBC’s Knowing Bros and MBC Every 1’s Weekly Idol to promote the album. iKON performed "Love Scenario" for the first time on MBC TV's Show! Music Core on January 27. The group held a series of fan signing events in South Korea to promote the album. They also announced their first fan-meeting in South Korea, under YG's Private Stage, a new fan-meeting brand that aims for high-quality performances based on communication between artists and fans. The fan meeting will be held on March 11 at Olympic Hall.
The group recorded their own reality show for the first time since its debut, titled "“iKON TV" which showcases behind-the-scenes stories of the members.
Billboard praised the title song "Love Scenario", saying "“Love Scenario” is guided by a gentle cowbell-style beat and swaying vocals. The song relays a mellow, yet relatively upbeat, reaction to breaking up, with a circuitous melody that guides the rhythmic dance track. It’s more emotional than their boisterous most-recent singles, and serves as a subtle directional change and maturing for iKON." "Love Scenario" was also chosen as Apple Music's Best of the Week.
Chester Chin from The Star praised the diverse of the album, saying "new musical direction adds another dimension to iKON’s artistry", and notice how the band music direction changed from "loud and aggressive sound" to more "toned down pop pieces with some hip-hop and soft rock stylings."
In South Korea, Return debuted at 2 on the Gaon Album Chart. In Japan, with two days in sales, the Korean version of the album debuted at 4 on Oricon's weekly digital chart, selling 1,500. The following week it charted at 20 and sold 510 copies. The album debuted at 12 on the physical weekly chart, selling 5,442. On Billboard Japan, the album charted at 5 on top download albums, and 23 on hot albums. In the United States, the album charted at 4 on Billboard World Albums and 12 on Top Heatseekers albums.
Upon its release, "Love Scenario" topped China's QQ Music's real-time chart. It also entered the top 10 on QQ Music's weekly chart. In South Korea, the song debuted at 12 on the Gaon Weekly Chart. It has topped the chart for six weeks, the first artist to achieve this milestone.
Awards and nominations
|2018||Return||Digital Album of the Year||Nominated|
|2018||Return||Album of the Year||Nominated|
|1.||"Love Scenario" (사랑을 했다; Sarang-eul haetda)||Millennium||3:29|
|3.||"One and Only" (B.I solo; 돗대; Dotdae)||B.I||Choice37||3:26|
|4.||"Jerk" (나쁜놈; nappeunnom)||Kang Uk-Jin||3:43|
|5.||"Best Friend"||Future Bounce||3:50|
|7.||"Hug Me" (안아보자; an-aboja)||Tablo||3:36|
|8.||"Don't Forget" (잊지마요; ij-jimayo)||4:13|
|Special bonus tracks|
|9.||"Sinosijak" (시노시작; sino sijag)||Kang Uk-jin||3:08|
|10.||"Love Me" (나를 사랑하지 않나요?; nareul saranghaji anhnayo?)||Choice37||3:28|
|11.||"Just Go"||B.I||Kang Uk-jin||3:36|
|12.||"Long Time No See"||Choice37||3:26|
|Various||January 25, 2018||YG Entertainment, Genie Music||Digital download|||
|South Korea||January 26, 2018||CD|
|Japan||January 27, 2018||YGEX||Digital download|||
|March 14, 2018||CD, DVD|||
- "iKON、熱狂のツアーファイナルでファンに接近 Wアンコールまで全力25曲＜セットリスト＞". Model Press. Retrieved October 27, 2016.
- "iKON、アンコール公演＜iKON JAPAN TOUR 2016～2017＞開催決定". Japan Music Network. Retrieved November 14, 2016.
- "iKON（アイコン）、大好評のアリーナツアーを受けアンコール公演開催決定！". TSUTAYA. Retrieved November 14, 2016.
- "아이콘, 日투어 31만 3천명 동원…고베서 대미 장식". Retrieved November 13, 2017.
- "Yang Hyun Suk Teases iKON's Comeback With Sneak Peak Of New Music Video". Soompi. Retrieved January 16, 2018.
- "iKON say they plan on making a comeback soon". Allkpop. Retrieved January 16, 2018.
- "iKON's Donghyuk Shares Update On Comeback Plans". Soompi. Retrieved January 16, 2018.
- "[단독] "YG남매 출격" 아이콘·블랙핑크, 내년 1월 가요계 컴백". Osen. Retrieved January 16, 2018.
- "Yang Hyun Suk Shares A Sneak Peek At iKON's Comeback MV". Soompi. Retrieved January 16, 2018.
- "iKON - 2nd ALBUM 'RETURN' TEASER FILM : DIRECTOR'S CUT". iKON Youtube Page. Retrieved January 16, 2018.
- "공식] 아이콘, 정규 2집 'RETURN' 발매 확정…2년 만에 컴백". Chosun. Retrieved January 16, 2018.
- "아이콘 '리턴' 18일 예약판매 시작..26일 오프라인 발매". Star News. Retrieved January 20, 2018.
- "[OFFICIAL] iKON Confirmed to Make Comeback on January 25… "Will Focus on Promotion in Korea"". YG Life. Retrieved January 16, 2018.
- "iKON Returns in 2 Years… Title Track 'LOVE SCENARIO'". YG Life. Retrieved January 16, 2018.
- "#iKON '2nd ALBUM : #RETURN' TRACKLIST". YG Family. Retrieved January 16, 2018.
- ""이례적 행보" 아이콘, 24일 첫 컴백 VLIVE 방송 확정". xportsnews. Retrieved January 20, 2018.
- "[V라이브 종합] "하트수 2억1천만" 아이콘, 팬들이 간절히 기다린 컴백 D-1". Chosun. Retrieved February 1, 2018.
- "iKON's 'LOVE SCENARIO' at No. 1 For 2 Days… First Performance Today (27th) At 'Music Core'". YG Life. Retrieved February 1, 2018.
- "Behind Story From iKON's First Fan Signing Event For Their 2nd Album, "Will Get Closer to Fans"". YG Life. Retrieved February 1, 2018.
- "iKON Reveals Their First Official Fan-Meeting Poster… Will Be Held on March 11". YG Life. Retrieved February 3, 2018.
- "'Love Scenario' singers iKON get reality show". Korea JoongAng Daily. March 13, 2018.
- "iKON - Return: Album Review". IZM (in Korean). Retrieved February 7, 2018.
- Chin, Chester (March 2, 2018). "'Return': What an iKON-ic K-pop comeback". The Star.
- "iKon 'Return' with New Album & 'Love Scenario' Single". Billboard. Retrieved February 1, 2018.
- "Gaon Album Chart – Week 4, 2018". Gaon Chart (in Korean). Retrieved February 1, 2018.
- "Billboard Japan Download Albums– February 5, 2018". Billboard Japan (in Japanese). Retrieved February 1, 2018.
- "週間 CDアルバムランキング 2018年02月12日付". Oricon. Retrieved February 7, 2018.
- "Oricon Weekly Digital Album Chart – February 5, 2018". Oricon (in Japanese). Retrieved February 1, 2018.
- "Billboard Japan Hot Albums– February 5, 2018". Billboard Japan (in Japanese). Retrieved February 1, 2018.
- "World Albums: Return".
- "Heatseekers Albums: Return".
- "Gaon 2018년 04주차 Digital Chart". Gaon. Retrieved February 1, 2018.
- "QQ Music: Love Scenario".
- ""돌아온 음원강자" 아이콘, '사랑을 했다' 6일째 1위". Chosun. Retrieved February 1, 2018.
- "2018 MBC Plus X Genie Music Awards Announces Nominees + Voting Begins". Soompi. October 1, 2018.
- "2018 Melon Music Awards Announces Nominees + Voting Begins". Soompi. November 14, 2018.
- "Top Albums Téléchargés". Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. January 31, 2018. Retrieved January 31, 2018.
- "2018년 Album Chart". Gaon. Retrieved January 16, 2019.
- "iKON 2nd ALBUM「RETURN -KR EDITION-」1/27(土)日本配信開始決定！！". YGEX iKON (in Japanese). Retrieved February 1, 2018.
- "『RETURN -KR EDITION-』3月14日(水)日本国内盤リリース決定！". YGEX iKON (in Japanese). Retrieved February 3, 2018.