Reuben Gold Thwaites
|Reuben Gold Thwaites|
|Known for||President of the American Library Association, Editor of the Wisconsin State Journal|
Reuben Gold Thwaites (1853 - 1913) was an American historical writer.
Thwaites was born in Dorchester, Massachusetts. He moved to Wisconsin in 1866 where, from 1876 to 1886, he was managing editor of the Wisconsin State Journal, at Madison. "In 1885 he became assistant to Lyman C. Draper (q.v.), corresponding secretary of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin, and when Draper retired in Jan., 1887, Thwaites succeeded him as executive officer of the Society; he served in this capacity from 1887 until his death." He edited the Wisconsin Historical Collections (volumes xi-xix, 1888-1911); The Jesuit Relations (73 volumes, 1896 - 1901); Early Western Travels, 1748-1846 (32 volumes, 1904 - 1907); Original Journals of Lewis and Clark (7 volumes, 1905); and similar works. In 1899 he was president of the American Library Association.
- The Colonies, 1492-1750 (1890)
- Epochs of American History, Vol. 1: The Colonies, 1492-1750 (ed. by Albert Bushnell Hart) (1891)
- Daniel Boone (1902)
- Down Historic Waterways (1888; 2nd. ed., 1902)
- Father Marquette (1902)
- George Rogers Clark (1903)
- Brief History of Rocky Mountain Exploration (1904)
- France in America (1905)
- Wisconsin (1909)
- School History of the United States (1912)
- Thwaites, Reuben Gold, ed. The Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents: Travels and explorations of the Jesuit missionaries in New France, 1610-1791, Cleveland: Burrows Bros. Co., 1896 - 1901.
- Withers, Alexander Scott, Chronicles of Border Warfare, or a History of the Settlement by the Whites, of North-Western Virginia, and of the Indian Wars and Massacres in that section of the State; with Reflections, Anecdotes, &c., Edited and annotated by Reuben Gold Thwaites, with several notes by Lyman Copeland Draper. (Cincinnati: The Robert Clarke Company, or Steward and Kidd Publishers, 1895). Reprinted in 1958 by McClain Publishing Company, Parsons, W.Va., ISBN 0-8063-4509-8.
- F. J. Turner, Reuben Gold Thwaites (Madison, 1914)
- "Thwaites, Reuben Gold 1853 - 1913 | Wisconsin Historical Society". www.wisconsinhistory.org. Retrieved 2015-10-11.
- Works by Reuben Gold Thwaites at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Reuben Gold Thwaites at Internet Archive
- Works by Reuben Gold Thwaites at LibriVox (public domain audiobooks)
- Early Western Travels, 1748-1846, a series of annotated reprints of some of the best and rarest contemporary volumes of travel : descriptive of the aborigines and social and economic conditions in the middle and far West, during the period of early American settlement / edited with notes, introduction, index, etc., by Reuben Gold Thwaites.