This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Reuben Rogers 2008 at the Northsea Jazz Festival
|Birth name||Reuben Renwick Rogers|
November 15, 1974 |
St. Thomas,Virgin Islands, U.S.
|Genres||Jazz, reggae, world|
|Instruments||Double bass, bass guitar|
|Associated acts||Dianne Reeves, Charles Lloyd, Joshua Redman, Aaron Goldberg|
Reuben Renwick Rogers (born November 15, 1974) is a jazz bassist from the Virgin Islands.
Born November 15, 1974, and raised in the Virgin Islands, Rogers was exposed to varieties of music that included calypso, reggae, gospel and jazz. In his formative years, Rogers received encouragement from his parents to explore his musical talent. He began with the clarinet, experimented with the piano, drums, and guitar, and at the age of 14 found his true passion in the bass.
Under the eye of his high school band teacher, Georgia Francis, Rogers studied jazz with fellow Virgin Islanders Ron Blake and Dion Parson. Rogers received awards, grants, and scholarships from the St. Thomas Arts Council and other local organizations. This opened the door for his summer studies at Interlochen Arts Camp in Michigan and at Berklee College of Music in Boston. After completing their five-week summer program, Rogers was given a scholarship toward his studies.
Rogers' musical education was punctuated by numerous awards, most notably a scholarship endowed by the Fish Middleton Jazz Society. He earned his Bachelor of Music in 1997 from Berklee.
He began touring professionally at the age of 17 with the Marcus Roberts trio. He has worked with Wynton Marsalis, Roy Hargrove, Joshua Redman, Nicholas Payton, Mulgrew Miller, Jackie McLean, Charles Lloyd and Dianne Reeves. He has toured extensively throughout theworld and has recorded on over seventy albums.
Committed to supporting the arts in the Virgin Islands, Rogers returns when his schedule permits to conduct music workshops in local schools and organize fundraising concerts that benefit the education of today's island youth. His musical endeavors come full circle during performances with Ron Blake and Dion Parson in the Caribbean jazz group 21st Century.
- The Things I Am – Reuben Rogers (Renwick Entertainment)
With Charles Lloyd
- Rabo de Nube (ECM, 2007)
- Mirror (ECM, 2010)
- Athens Concert (ECM, 2011)
- I Long to See You (Blue Note, 2016)
- Passin' Thru (Blue Note, 2016)
- Worlds – Aaron Goldberg (Sunnyside)
- Home – Aaron Goldberg (Sunnyside)
- Can't wait for perfect – Bob Reynolds (Fresh Sound)
- Testimonial – Carl Allen (Atlantic)
- Denzal Sinclaire – Denzal Sinclaire (Verve)
- A Little Moonlight – Dianne Reeves (Blue Note)
- Nouveau Swing – Donald Harrison (Impulse)
- Gifts & Givers – Jimmy Greene (Criss Cross)
- True Life Stories – Jimmy Greene (Criss Cross)
- Beyond – Joshua Redman (Warner bros.)
- Passage of Time – Joshua Redman (Warner Bros.)
- Mission Statement – Jimmy Greene (Razjaz)
- Compass – Joshua Redman (Nonesuch)
- If Less is More, Nothing is Everything – Kate McGarry (Palmetto)
- Dear Louis – Nicholas Payton (Verve)
- Sonic Tonic – Ron Blake (Mack Avenue)
- Alto Summit – Phil Woods
- What Lies Ahead – Peter Martin (Open Studio)
- December Avenue - Tomasz Stańko (ECM)