Reversal of Fortune
|Reversal of Fortune|
theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Barbet Schroeder|
|Screenplay by||Nicholas Kazan|
|Based on||Reversal of Fortune: Inside the von Bülow Case (1986 book)
by Alan Dershowitz
|Music by||Mark Isham|
|Edited by||Lee Percy|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
|Box office||$15.4 million|
Reversal of Fortune is a 1990 film adapted from the 1985 book Reversal of Fortune: Inside the von Bülow Case, written by law professor Alan Dershowitz. It recounts the true story of the unexplained coma of socialite Sunny von Bülow, the subsequent attempted murder trial, and the eventual acquittal of her husband, Claus von Bülow, who had Dershowitz acting as his defense. The film stars Jeremy Irons as Claus, Glenn Close as Sunny, and Ron Silver as Dershowitz.
The story is narrated by Sunny von Bülow who is in a coma after falling into diabetic shock after a Christmas party. Her husband, the dissolute European aristocrat Claus von Bülow is charged with attempting to murder her by giving the hypoglycemic Sunny an overdose of insulin. Claus' strained relationship with his wife and his cold and haughty personal demeanor lead most people to conclude that he is guilty. In need of an innovative defense, Claus turns to law professor Alan Dershowitz. Dershowitz is initially convinced of Claus' guilt, but takes the case because von Bülow agrees to fund Dershowitz' defense of two poor black teenagers accused of capital murder. Employing his law students as workers, Dershowitz proceeds to defend Claus, wrestling with his client's unnerving personal style and questions of von Bülow's guilt or innocence.
Awards and honors
Irons was awarded the Academy Award for Best Actor, Schroeder was nominated for Best Director, and Kazan was nominated for the Best Adapted Screenplay award. Irons was also awarded the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Drama.
The film is recognized by American Film Institute in these lists:
- 2003: AFI's 100 Years...100 Heroes and Villains:
- 2008: AFI's 10 Top 10:
- Nominated Courtroom Drama Film
- List of films featuring diabetes
- Barbet Schroeder, ombres et clarté de Jérôme d'Estais, Editions LettMotif, 2017, http://www.edition-lettmotif.com/produit/barbet-schroeder/
- State v. von Bulow, 475 A.2d 995 (R.I. 1984).
- "Reversal of Fortune Movie Reviews, Pictures". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved January 18, 2011.
- "EW's 25 Best Movies in 25 Years". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "AFI's 100 Years...100 Heroes & Villains Nominees" (PDF). Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- "AFI's 10 Top 10 Nominees" (PDF). 16 November 2011. Retrieved 19 August 2016.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Reversal of Fortune|