Reviews of Geophysics
|Reviews of Geophysics and Space Physics|
Abbreviated title (ISO 4)
|Edited by||Mark B. Moldwin|
Reviews of Geophysics is a quarterly peer-reviewed scientific journal published by Wiley-Blackwell on behalf of the American Geophysical Union. The current editor-in-chief is Mark B. Moldwin (University of Michigan).
Reviews of Geophysics (ISSN 0096-1043) was established in 1963. Between February 1970 and November 1984 it was named Reviews of Geophysics and Space Physics (ISSN 0034-6853). Throughout the years its frequency varied. It was quarterly in 1970–74, five per year in 1975, quarterly again in 1976–78, eight issues in 1979, quarterly in 1980–82, and finally eight issues in 1983, before being renamed to Reviews of Geophysics in 1984.
Aims and scope
As a review publication by invitation only, Reviews of Geophysics provides an overview of geophysics research. It integrates summations of previous scientific investigations with active research areas. Critical analysis of the progress in, and direction of, geophysics is provided. Topical coverage includes solid-earth geophysics, cryospheric science, oceans and atmospheric studies, meteorology, and oceanography), along with the physics of the solar system and its processes. For example, coverage includes processes that tend to concern the public such as rainfall rates, trends in marine fisheries, earthquake probabilities, and volcanic eruption potentials.
The three most highly cited articles published in Reviews of Geophysics are:
- Mellor, G. L.; Yamada, T. (1982). "Development of a turbulence closure-model for geophysical fluid problems". Reviews of Geophysics. 20 (4): 851–875. Bibcode:1982RvGSP..20..851M. doi:10.1029/RG020i004p00851.
- Large, W. G.; McWilliams, J. C.; Doney, S. C. (1994). "Oceanic vertical mixing—A review and a model with a nonlocal boundary-ayer parameterization". Reviews of Geophysics. 32 (4): 363–403. Bibcode:1994RvGeo..32..363L. doi:10.1029/94RG01872.
- Rudnick, R. L.; Fountain, D. M. (1995). "Nature and composition of the continental-crust—a lower crustal perspective". Reviews of Geophysics. 33 (3): 267–309. Bibcode:1995RvGeo..33..267R. doi:10.1029/95RG01302.
Abstracting and indexing
The journal is abstracted and indexed in:
- Science Citation Index Expanded
- Current Contents/Physical, Chemical & Earth Sciences
- Chemical Abstracts
- Computer & Control Abstracts
- Electrical & Electronics Abstracts
- Physics Abstracts
- Energy Research Abstracts
- Engineering Index
- Excerpta Medica
- International Aerospace Abstracts
- Mathematical Reviews
- List of scientific journals in earth and atmospheric sciences
- List of scientific journals in physics
- "Reviews of Geophysics". 2013 Science Citation Index Expanded. Web of Science. Thomson Reuters. 2013.
- "Reviews of Geophysics". Ulrichsweb Global Serials Directory. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Geochemistry & Geophysics". 2011 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2013.