Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Sai Kabir Shrivastav|
|Produced by||Raju Chadha
Crouching Tiger Motion Pictures
Nitin Tej Ahuja
|Screenplay by||Sai Kabir Shrivastav|
|Story by||Sai Kabir Shrivastav|
|Music by||Sanjeev Srivastava|
|Edited by||Aarti Bajaj|
Wave Cinemas Ponty Chadha
|Distributed by||Wave Cinemas Distribution|
|Box office||₹11.89 Crore|
Revolver Rani is a 2014 Indian crime drama film written and directed by Sai Kabir. The film is presented by Wave Cinemas. It features Kangana Ranaut and Vir Das in lead roles and Piyush Mishra, Zakir Hussain and Pankaj Saraswat in supporting roles. The film is a satirical and unusual love story set against the backdrop of politics and released on 25 April 2014.
Alka Singh (Kangana Ranaut) is the leader of a political party who loves Rohan Mehra (Vir Das), a rising star of Bollywood.The elections in Gwalior have just finished and Alka's reign has come to an end. Her opposition, the Tomar party, have come into power and want to use their new position to take out Alka, but first, they want to hurt her. The Tomars abduct Rohan from Mumbai and take him back to Gwalior with the aim to kill him. They are about to pull the trigger when Revolver Rani turns up, all guns blazing and saves his life.
Sai Kabir, who has directed Revolver Rani, said in an Interview, "It was a great experience… we shot the film in Chambal. It's a black comedy and it's a political film". Producer Tigmanshu Dhulia says that Revolver Rani is a complete B grade entertainment movie and everybody will like it. It was reported that Kangana Ranaut and other crew members were stopped by rebels near Chambal valley to capture photos with Kangana. Kangana denied their request and succeeded to get herself and crew out from the spot.
- Kangana Ranaut as Alka Singh / Rani behen(Aka Revolver Rani)
- Vir Das as Rohan Kapoor
- Nikunj Malik as Zahira(introducing)
- Piyush Mishra as Balli
- Zakir Hussain as Udaybhan Tomar
- Pankaj Saraswat as Govind Tomar
- Zeishan Quadri as Pilot
- Kumud Mishra as Tomar
- Preeti Sood as Gutki
- Salim Javed as Puneet
- Jami Jafry as Mithilesh Singh
- Zafar Khan as Bheem Singh
- Rahul Gandhi as Jay
- Abhijeet Shetty as Viru
- Pathy Aiyar as CEO of OZO
- Sanjay Singh as Home Minister
- Mishkka Singh as Payal Parihar
- Sandeep Vyas as Production Management
Revolver Rani is an experimental film that can best be described as an indigenous tongue-in-cheek Western featuring a rugged cowgirl as opposed to a cowboy straight out of some Western pulp novel.
The soundtrack composed by Sanjeev Srivastava received positive reviews. The soundtrack consists of 9 tracks with Usha Uthup singing title number "Revolver Rani" which reflected the style of R. D. Burman. The lyrics have been penned by Shaheen Iqbal and Puneet Sharma. One does not expect too much from the music of a film with a title like Revolver Rani. Moreover, the composer Sanjeev Srivastava and lyricist Puneet Sharma are new. The soundtrack of Revolver Rani is unconventional and largely experimental. Rediff gave 3/5 stars for the soundtrack.
|1.||"Revolver Rani"||Usha Uthup|
|2.||"Thaayein Kare Katta"||Piyush Mishra|
|3.||"Kaafi Nahi Chaand"||Asha Bhosle|
|4.||"Chal Lade Re Bhaiya"||Mayur Vyas, Piyush Mishra, Abhishek Mukherjee|
|5.||"Sulgi Hui Hai Raakh"||Gorisa, Sanjeev Srivastava|
|6.||"Banna Banni"||Rekha Bhardwaj|
|7.||"I Am Brutal"||Sanjeev Srivastava|
|8.||"Saawan Ki Aye Hawa"||Rahul Gandhi, Garima Aneja|
|9.||"Bol Rahi Hai Payal"||Avi Dutta, Anwesha Datta Gupta|
|10.||"Chanda Ki Katori Hai (Lorie)"||Garima Aneja|
|11.||"Pehle Lohe Ki Chingaari"||Sameera, Gorisa, Keka, Manjeera|
|12.||"We Mix You Micheal Jackson"||Saleem Javed|
|13.||"Zardozi Lamhe"||Moin Sabri|
|14.||"Chanda Ki Katori Hai (Lorie)"||Piyush Mishra|
|15.||"Revolver Rani (Reprise)"||Usha Uthup|
It has received an aggregate score of 5.6 (out of 10) on the review aggregating site TheReviewMonk, based on 30 critic reviews. As per Shubha Shetty-Saha of Mid Day The film Revolver Rani starts with much promise, with a kind of quirkiness and black humour that fits well, but it begins to fizzle out by the end of it. Watch it for Kangana Ranaut and the music. Film critic Subhash K. Jha rated it 3.5 stars and wrote that Revolver Rani is a fiercely original piece of cinema, crafted with compelling concentration and impassioned intuition. As per Jha, Kangana plays like a cross between Uma Thurman in Kill Bill and Seema Biswas in Bandit Queen. Giving it 3 stars out of 5, Anupama Chopra praised the film in a review for Hindustan Times saying that "what keeps Revolver Rani together are the performances and the sly humour. I particularly enjoyed the two testosterone-filled duffer politicians whose only aim is to kill Alka. If you like uplifting, cheerful cinema, then this isn't the movie for you. But if, like me, you can enjoy bad people doing bad things, then Revolver Rani will be fun." Harshada Rege from Daily News and Analysis praised Ranaut's performance, saying that "she plays the Venice-loving, gun-trotting politician in Chambal with much aplomb. From a vulnerable Rani in Queen to the mighty Alka Singh in Revolver Rani, the actress sure knows how to make and then, equally easily, break the mould." Shubhra Gupta from The Indian Express panned the film, saying that the character of Rani in the film was neither believable or relatable, making it "a tiresome Bollywoodesque trudge... It is clear that Kangana Ranaut is trying hard for the 'sur' (mass), but this is not her territory: she gets to that well-judged manic edge only a couple of times, and then slides back. Her hold on the character is slippery, as is her accent, and the shade of her tan."
This film had a poor run in the Indian Box Office with an occupancy of 15%.
- "Revolver Rani - Movie - Box Office India".
- "Revolver Rani is B grade entertainment: Tigmanshu Dhulia". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- "Kangana Ranaut: I play a neurotic in Revolver Rani". movies.ndtv.com. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Revolver Rani (2014): Sai Kabir's political satire featuring a tour de force performance from Kangana Ranaut". apotpourriofvestiges.com. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "'TheReviewMonk - Revolver Rani Review'". TheReviewMonk. Retrieved 2015-06-04.
- "Movie Review: 'Revolver Rani'". Mid Day. 25 April 2014. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Revolver Rani Review: Kangana Ranaut plays Paan Singh Tomar". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Subhash K Jha. "Revolver Rani Movie Review : 3.5 out 5 Stars". IANS. Worldsnap News. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- "Movie review by Anupama Chopra: Revolver Rani's sly humour is fun". www.hindustantimes.com/.
- "Film review: Kangana Ranaut breaks the 'Queen' mould with 'Revolver Rani'". dna.
- "Revolver Rani review: This is not Kangana Ranaut's territory". The Indian Express. 25 April 2014.
- "Boxoffice". boxofficeindia.com.