Rex Frederick (born December 16, 1936 in Hamilton, Alabama ) is a retired American collegiate basketball player and coach. He was a star athlete in high school along with his brother Max Frederick and led Corner High School in Jefferson County to the Alabama state championship. He later attended Auburn University and holds the record as all-time leading rebounder with 14.3 rebounds per game average and his 904 career rebounds currently ranks fifth on the Tigers' all-time rebounding chart. In 2006, He became only the third Tiger to have his jersey (#32) retired.
He left Auburn as the all-time leading rebounder and ninth all-time leading scorer with 937 points and continues to hold the top two single-season records for most rebounds with 325 in 1957-1958 and 322 in 1956-1957. Frederick holds the Auburn single-game record for rebounds with 27 vs. SMU in 1957.
Frederick played collegiately at Auburn (1956–1959), helping the freshman team to an undefeated season. As a junior, he set single-season record with 325 rebounds and also set the single game rebounding mark with 27. When he graduated from Auburn, he ranked as Auburn's third best rebounder with a total of 904, averaging 14.3 rebounds per game. He averaged 14.9 points a game for his career and had a career total of 937 points. He was chosen All-SEC two consecutive years (1958 and 1959) and was voted to the Associated Press and Helms All-America teams his senior year. In 1959, he was voted SEC Defensive Player of the Year. Frederick was also All-SEC in baseball and led Auburn to an SEC Championship. He is a member of Auburn's Basketball Hall of Fame and has been inducted into the Tiger Trail of Auburn by the Chamber of Commerce. He coached in college for a while, starting the basketball program at the University of South Alabama in 1966. He currently resides in Auburn, AL.
- 1957 All-SEC
- 1958 All-SEC
- 1958 Team Captain
- 1959 All-SEC
- 1959 Team Captain
- 1959 Associated Press All-American
- 1959 Helms All-American
- 1959 SEC Defensive Player of the Year
- 2003 Inductee Alabama Sports Hall of Fame
- Auburn University All-Century Team
- Member of Auburn's Basketball Hall of Fame
- Inducted into the Tiger Trail of Auburn by the Chamber of Commerce
- "Rex Frederick". Alabama Sports Hall of Fame. Retrieved 2007-04-14.
- "Chuck and Wesley Person, Rex Frederick To Have Jerseys Retired". SECSports.com. 2006-01-25. Archived from the original on 2007-09-30. Retrieved 2007-04-10.
- "University of South Alabama Directory". "Sports Network". 2007-MM-DD. Retrieved 2007-04-14. Check date values in:
- "Auburn Hoop History". AuburnTigers.com. Retrieved 2007-03-29.
- Handwerger, Bradley (2006-03-07). "Ex-running back Davis settles in at safety for AU". DecaturDaily.com. Retrieved 2007-04-14.