Rex Lee (actor)
Lee in 2006
January 7, 1969 |
Warren, Ohio, U.S.
|Alma mater||Oberlin Conservatory of Music|
Lee was born in Warren, Ohio. His parents emigrated from Korea to the United States. He grew up in the states of Massachusetts and California. He graduated from the Oberlin Conservatory of Music in 1990. His parents encouraged him to be a professional pianist, but Lee knew he wanted to act after taking a theater class in college.
Prior to landing the role on Entourage, Lee had various jobs including performing in the children's theater company, Imagination Company, as well as working as a casting assistant. He was the casting director for the TV movie The Cure for a Diseased Life. Lee has also played roles on a variety of TV shows, including Twins, What About Brian and Maurice on two episodes of Zoey 101.
Lee played Lloyd Lee, the gay assistant to Ari Gold, the character played by Jeremy Piven — eventually becoming an agent and interim head of TMA's television department. Lee began his role in the first episode of the show's second season, "The Boys Are Back in Town", which introduced Lloyd as the replacement to Ari's previous assistant. Lee won the award for Outstanding Supporting Actor, Television at the AZN Asian Excellence Awards in 2007 and 2008.
Lee had a regular role in the first two seasons of the ABC sitcom Suburgatory, playing Mr. Wolfe, a clueless high school guidance counselor. He appeared as one of the judges at Nationals in the Fox Television Comedy-Drama Glee in season 3. He currently appears as Elliot Park on Young & Hungry.
In 2015, Lee appeared in an episode of Fresh Off the Boat as Jessica Huang's college boyfriend. Lee currently plays a talent agent in the 2015 "#ItsThatEasy" celebrity-themed ad campaign for website company Wix.com.
In an interview from 2011, Lee said that he was currently single and looking for something permanent, but that it was difficult to find the right relationship.
- Santiago, Arabella (December 29, 2006). "Now, That's Entertainment!!!". Asianweek (San Francisco, California). p. 12.
- Gelt, Jessica (April 12, 2007). "Memoirs of a Gaysian: As Lloyd on 'Entourage,' it's all about serving nasty super agent Ari Gold. Off-screen, Rex Lee is master of his 'incredibly strange' domain". Los Angeles Times. p. E26.
- Rex Lee: More Than Just the "Gay" One on TV's Entourage - by Drew Mackie, AfterElton.com, July 24, 2006
- "Letters From Iwo Jima captures outstanding film honors at the 2007 AZN Asian Excellence Awards". Asian Reporter (Portland, Oregon). May 22, 2007. p. 13.
- Tsai, Tina (May 2, 2008). "'Lust, Caution' Wins Outstanding Film Award at Asian Excellence Awards". Asianweek (San Francisco, California). p. 16.
- Andreeva, Nellie. "TV CASTINGS: Rex Lee Joins ‘Suburgatory’". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2011-10-05.
- Lubitz, Rachel (March 31, 2015). "TV highlights: Hilary Duff returns to television with TV Land's 'Younger'". The Washington Post. p. C4.
- Gay Rex Lee Struggles In Love Due To Tough Upbringing - Contact Music
- "Rex Lee". Mahalo.com. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- Rex Lee at the Internet Movie Database
- Rex Lee on the Return of Entourage
- A Quickie with Rex Lee on PopGurls.com
- Entertainment Weekly interview with Rex Lee and the actors who portray TV assistants Kenneth ("30 Rock") and Marc ("Ugly Betty").