|Rex G. Maughan|
|Born||November 20, 1936|
|Occupation||Founder, President, and CEO of Forever Living Products|
Rex G. Maughan is the founder, president, and CEO of Forever Living Products, a multi-level marketing company that sells aloe-vera based cosmetics and other personal products. He is also a real-estate investor.
Maughan was born November 20, 1936, in Logan, UT. He grew up on a ranch in Soda Springs, Idaho. He is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and served an LDS mission in Samoa. Rex met and married his wife Ruth while they were both attending Brigham Young University (BYU). When Ruth graduated from BYU with a degree in elementary education, she and Rex moved to Arizona. Ruth taught school while Rex finished his degree at Arizona State University, eventually earning his B.S. in Accounting in 1962.
Maughan began investing in land while still working as an accountant in the early 1960s. Later, he joined the Del E. Webb Construction Company, and spent the next 13 years there, reaching the position of vice president. Maughan was also adding to his own real estate and ranching investments at this time.
Forever Living Products
Maughan founded Forever Living Products in 1978. The company initially made lotions from the aloe vera plant. The product line has grown and diversified, now encompassing a broad range of other products which are marketed through a multi-level marketing system. Since aloe vera is still a key ingredient in many of Forever Living products, Maughan segued into aloe cultivation and processing.
In 2002, the Arizona Supreme Court reversed the findings of lower courts in a case in which Rex Maughan was accused of terminating an employee because the employee refused to sell a piece of land to Maughan.
Maughan and his wife have three children and 12 grandchildren.
In Vailima, Samoa, Maughan has contributed to the preservation of author Robert Louis Stevenson’s estate, making it into a museum. In early 2005 Maughan accompanied a BYU Television team to American Samoa to coordinate installation of a satellite receiver he had donated. He has also worked with the U.S. parks system in American Samoa to preserve rain forests.
Honors and awards
- ASU Alumni Hall of Fame (Inducted October 27, 2007)
- BYU President's Leadership Council Executive Committee Member
- Rex and Ruth Maughan Energetically Advocate BYU Television
- Rex Maughan: Forever Living Products Founder Turns to Philanthropy - Knowledge@W.P. Carey Archived 2008-02-07 at the Wayback Machine.
- "The Largest Private Companies: #340 Forever Living Products Intl". forbes.com. 2006. Retrieved 2008-06-29.
- "Forever Living Products hopes to see sales up in H2". Ziarul Financiar. August 2006. Archived from the original on 2008-08-04.
- Forever Houseboats - A True Luxury Houseboat Exprerience
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-09-21. Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- Forbes.com: Forbes 400 Richest in America 2002
- Rex Maughan - $92,700 in Political Contributions for 2012
- Department News
- Building BYU