Reynolds High School (Troutdale, Oregon)
|Reynolds High School|
1698 SW Cherry Park Road|
Troutdale, (Multnomah County), Oregon 97060
|School district||Reynolds School District|
|Number of students||2822|
|Color(s)||Forest green, silver and white|
|Athletics conference||OSAA Mt. Hood Conference 6A-3|
Reynolds High School is the only public high school in Troutdale, Oregon, United States, in the northeastern part of the Portland metropolitan area. It is part of the Reynolds School District, and is the second-largest high school in Oregon.
On May 29, 1979, a three-alarm fire injured three students and damaged the gym and theater.
Reynolds High School merged with Columbia High School in 1989. Columbia High School is now the site of Reynolds High School, and the former Reynolds High School is now one of three middle schools in the district, Reynolds Middle School.
On June 10, 2014, a 14-year-old freshman was shot by another student. A physical education teacher suffered non-life-threatening injuries. The shooter, a 15-year-old student, fatally shot himself. SWAT and FBI agents secured the school.
In 2015, a bond resolution was proposed, which would grant the district $125,000,000 to help replace, and renovate several schools in the district, and install security upgrades in every school in the district. A portion of this sum of money was used to remodel the northern portion of the main establishment. This specifically includes remodeled science, functional life-skills, culinary, and early childhood education classrooms, cafeteria area, and kitchen. Relocation of the main office and counseling office by the new and more secure main entry. And all buildings that make up the campus internally connected. Construction was started spring of 2017, and is projected to be complete fall of 2018.
In 2008, 64% of the school's seniors received a high school diploma. Of 611 students, 388 graduated, 130 dropped out, 39 received a modified diploma, and 54 were still in high school the following year.
In 2009, there were nearly 900 freshmen in the incoming class, a record for the school. This was combined with a 25% layoff of teachers, over 40 teachers at the school. This caused class sizes to increase.
- Administration Reynolds High School.
- "Oregon School Directory 2008-09" (PDF). Oregon Department of Education. p. 139. Retrieved May 28, 2009.
- Hammond, Betsy (June 10, 2014). "Reynolds High: 2nd Biggest in Oregon, Serves Five Cities, Knows Controversy". The Oregonian. Retrieved June 10, 2014.
- Mayer, James (April 19, 2012). "Aluminum Plant Gone, but Memories Remain". The Oregonian. Retrieved June 10, 2014.
- "Previous Portland-Area School Fires". The Oregonian. November 10, 2009. Retrieved November 11, 2009.
- Ford, Dana; Hanna, Jason (June 10, 2014). "Oregon High School Shooting: 'This is Not a Drill'". CNN. Retrieved June 10, 2014.
- "Police Responding to Report of Shooting at Reynolds High School in Troutdale". KATU. June 10, 2014. Retrieved June 10, 2014.
- Castillo, Mariano; Sidner, Sara (June 11, 2014). "Oregon School Shooting Victim 'Didn't Deserve What He Got'". CNN. Retrieved June 11, 2014.
- "Sheriff's Office: Shooter Dead at Troutdale School". KOIN. June 10, 2014. Retrieved June 10, 2014.
- "Oregon High School Shooting: Police Say 1 Shooter at Reynolds Has Died". The Oregonian. June 10, 2014. Retrieved June 10, 2014.
- "Police: Shooter Used Rifle in Ore. School Shooting". Yahoo! News. June 10, 2014. Retrieved June 10, 2014.
- Wozniacka, Gosia (June 11, 2014). "Police: Shooter at Oregon school had assault rifle". Yahoo! News (AP). Retrieved June 11, 2014.
- "Reynolds High Shooting: Police Report That School Shooter is Dead". The Oregonian. June 10, 2014. Retrieved June 10, 2014.
- "Resolution No. 2014-2015-005" (PDF). https://www.reynolds.k12.or.us. External link in
- "Reynolds High School Renovations".
- "State Releases High School graduation Rates". The Oregonian. June 30, 2009. Retrieved July 1, 2009.
- "Oregon Dropout Rates for 2008" (XLS). The Oregonian. June 30, 2009. Retrieved July 1, 2009.
- "Reynolds High Students Navigate Big Classes on First Day". The Oregonian. September 9, 2009. Retrieved June 10, 2014.