Saint Joseph Church
|• Mayor||Klaus Eberhardt (SPD)|
|• Total||62.84 km2 (24.26 sq mi)|
|Elevation||280 m (920 ft)|
|• Density||530/km2 (1,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Rheinfelden (Alemannic German: Badisch-Rhyfälde, pronounced [ˈb̥ad̥ɪʃ ʁifæld̥ə]) is a town in the district of Lörrach in Baden-Württemberg, Germany. It is situated on the right bank of the Rhine, across from Rheinfelden, Switzerland, and 15 km east of Basel. The population is 32,469 as of 2006, making it the second most populated town of the district after Lörrach.
Rheinfelden is located on the Swiss-German border, between the High Rhine to the south and the Dinkelberg hills to the north in the district of Lörrach. It borders the Swiss town of the same name across the Rhine river, and the towns of Grenzach-Wyhlen, Inzlingen, Steinen, Maulburg, Schopfheim, Schwörstadt, and Wehr in Germany.
Rheinfelden consists of a relatively young city core (founded in the late 19th Century), two formerly independent villages (Nollingen and Warmbach), and seven villages which were incorporated into the city between 1972 and 1975. These are:
- Degerfelden (alem. Degerfälde).
- Minseln (alem. Meisele).
- Herten (alem. Herte).
- Nordschwaben (alem. Nordschwoobe).
- Adelhausen (alem. Adelhuuse).
- Eichsel (alem. Eiggsle)
- Karsau (alem. Charsau) and its community of Beuggen (alem. Büügge).
Apart from the city core, the villages forming Rheinfelden date from the early Middle Ages. Partly because of this, a teasing animosity exists between the villages with their longer history and traditions, and the industrial city core with its diverse population of recent origin.
- Hans Blum (1841–1910) a German journalist and writer, lived in Rheinfelden from 1865 
- Jürgen Untermann (1928–2013) a German linguist, indoeuropeanist and epigraphist
- Anne-Sophie Mutter, (born 1963), violinist
- Jochen Böhler (born 1969) a German historian, specializing in the military history of World War II
- Dietmar Dath (born 1970) a German author, journalist and translator.
- Monique Riesterer (born 1971) a German female weightlifter, competed at the 2000 Summer Olympics
- Lars Halter (born 1973) a German and US-American journalist
- Ruwen Faller, (born 1980) a German 400 metre sprinter
- Raoul Petretta (born 1997) an Italian professional footballer who plays for FC Basel
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rheinfelden (Baden).|
- "Bevölkerung nach Nationalität und Geschlecht am 31. Dezember 2018". Statistisches Landesamt Baden-Württemberg (in German). July 2019.
- The Encyclopedia Americana, Blum, Hans retrieved 4 February 2019
- "Städtepartnerschaften". rheinfelden.de (in German). Rheinfelden (Baden). Retrieved 2019-12-16.
|This Lörrach location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|