Rheinmetall MAN Military Vehicles
|Founded||12 January 2010|
|Headquarters||Munich, Bavaria, Germany|
|MAN Nutzfahrzeuge AG:
Number of employees
|370 (January 2010)|
Rheinmetall MAN Military Vehicles GmbH, or RMMV, is a joint-venture company between the German companies MAN Nutzfahrzeuge AG and Rheinmetall AG to merge their Military Division (MAN Nutzfahrzeuge) and Corporate Sector Defence (Rheinmetall). The new firm was founded on 12 January 2010. The headquarters is in Munich and the production facilities are located in Kassel, Germany, and Vienna, Austria. The approval for the merger was given by the Bundeskartellamt on 22 February. The remit of the company is to manufacturing wheeled military vehicles. At the present, there are 370 employees working in the company. Up to late 2012, the firm will have 1300 employees.
The aim of the company is to bundle the partners' military-technological know-how. MAN announced that they are planning a national and later a European consolidation of the production of complete built (also no CKD and SKD kits) military vehicles. The vehicles will be sold worldwide. The companies merged in May 2010 after gaining approval from the Bundeskartellamt, and hope to generate profits of up to €1 billion. The first public appearance of the RMMV was at IDEB 2010 (International Defence Exhibition Bratislava).
Insiders are saying that the fusion of the both company divisions was a last minute rescue. So the main problem of MAN should be an insufficient linkage to other defense companies. As an result, MAN Nutzfahrzeuge bought in many components, like the driver cabin, from other firms. Even the ailing sales network of MAN Nutzfahrzeuge will be responsible for a significant economic loss, because not all markets have could be supplied. According to this situation, the department was living from one job to another and never knew what comes or happens next. However, Rheinmetall is interested in the manufacturing of buses, in which MAN Nutzfahrzeuge is experienced. In October 2010, Rheinmetall MAN Military Vehicles agreed to cooperate with Timoney Technology, who would make independent suspension and transmission systems for new types of RMMV vehicles. The first example of this partnership is the Wisent.
- MAN LX and FX ranges of tactical trucks
- RMMV Survivor R medium weight protected wheeled (4x4) vehicle.
- The Wisent armoured 8x8 truck
- The Boxer armoured fighting vehicle
- A new product idea is an armored bus for the Afghanistan mission which will be for the transportation of Bundeswehr soldiers. This vehicle will be the first developed product of the RMMV. Series production of it will start in the late 2011. Up to this time the older models will provide the model range.
- Armored tracked vehicles like the Rheinmetall PHZ2000 and the Rheinmetall Puma are built by the Rheinmetall Landsysteme GmbH which is not a part of the RMMV joint venture.
capital participation of the joint venture
- Rheinmetall AG: 51%
- MAN Nutzfahrzeuge AG: 49%
Modular Armoured Cabin
MAN HX/SX Series
Mobility Elite Series
HX: High Mobility Truck
SX: Extreme Mobility Truck
MAN TGA Series
Medium Mobility Truck
- "Fallbericht B5-16/10 zur Gründung eines Gemeinschaftsunternehmens zwischen der Rheinmetall AG und der MAN Nutzfahrzeuge AG" (PDF). bundeskartellamt.de. 23 March 2010. Retrieved 22 July 2010.
- "MAN Nutzfahrzeuge and Rheinmetall form joint company for wheeled military vehicles". militarytrucks.man-mn.com. 12 January 2010. Retrieved 22 July 2010.
- AD HOC NEWS. "MAN: Gründung von Rheinmetall MAN Military Vehicles GmbH wirksam geworden". ad-hoc-news.de. Retrieved 22 July 2010.
- "Medzinárodný Veľtrh Obrannej Techniky Bratislava". ideb.sk. Retrieved 22 July 2010.
- "defence.professionals". defpro.com. Retrieved 17 October 2010.
- Thomas Katzensteiner, Andreas Wildhagen (WirtschaftsWoche) (19 January 2010). "Gemeinschaftsunternehmen: Was MAN das Joint-Venture mit Rheinmetall bringt". wiwo.de. Retrieved 22 July 2010.
- Oliver Hoffmann (Rheinmetall AG) (3 May 2010). "Rheinmetall MAN Military Vehicles GmbH (RMMV) – Closing nach Kartellfreigabe erfolgt". rheinmetall.de. Retrieved 22 July 2010.
- Official website of the MAN Nutzfahrzeuge AG Military Division
- Official website of the Rheinmetall AG Corporate Sector Defence