Rheinturm and Media Harbour
with restaurant and observation deck
|Elevation||36.6 metres NHN|
|Construction started||20 January 1979|
|Completed||1 December 1981|
|Inaugurated||1 March 1982|
|Height||240.5 metres (789 ft)|
|Structural system||Reinforced concrete|
|Design and construction|
The Rheinturm (pronounced [ˈʁaɪ̯ntʊʁm]) (Rhine Tower) is a 240.5 metre high concrete telecommunications tower in Düsseldorf, capital of the federal state (Bundesland) of North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. Construction commenced in 1979 and finished in 1981. The Rheinturm carries aerials for directional radio, FM and TV transmitters. It stands 174.5 metres high and houses a revolving restaurant and an observation deck at a height of 170 metres. It is the tallest building in Düsseldorf.
The Rheinturm was inaugurated on 1 December 1981. It contains 7,500 cubic metres of concrete and weighs 22,500 tons. Before October 15, 2004, when an aerial antenna for DVB-T was mounted, it was 234.2 metres high.
The observation deck is open to public, daily from 10:00 AM to 11:30 PM. As a special attraction, a light sculpture on its shaft works as a clock. This sculpture was designed by Horst H. Baumann and is called Lichtzeitpegel (light time level). The light sculpture on the Rheinturm is the largest digital clock in the world.
View from the Rheinturm looking down onto Stadtmitte
- "All brewing up nicely: jet off to Germany for a guaranteed weekend of good cheer", The Times, 2003-08-09
- 360° interactive panorama
- Rheinturm Restaurants Top 180 and bistro Panorama, Günnewig GmbH & Co. KG (German) (English)
- Rhine Tower at Structurae
- time lapse of tower and clock at new years fire work
- List of tallest structures in Germany
- List of tallest structures in Europe
- List of tallest towers in the world
- Klaus Müller, Hermann Wegener, Heinz-Gerd Wöstemeyer: Rheinturm Düsseldorf: Daten und Fakten Triltsch Verlag, Düsseldorf 1990, ISBN 3-7998-0060-3.
- Roland Kanz: Architekturführer Düsseldorf. Dietrich Riemer Verlag, Berlin 2001, ISBN 3-496-01232-3, S. 81.
- Klaus Englert: … in die Jahre gekommen. Der Rheinturm in Düsseldorf. In db Deutsche Bauzeitung 141, 2007, Nr.6, S. 85–88, ISSN 0721-1902.
- Erwin Heinle, Fritz Leonhardt: Türme aller Zeiten, aller Kulturen. Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt, Stuttgart 1997, ISBN 3-421-02931-8, S. 235.Coordinates: