Rheinturm and Media Harbour
with restaurant and observation deck
|Elevation||36.6 metres NHN|
|Construction started||20 January 1979|
|Completed||1 December 1981|
|Inaugurated||1 March 1982|
|Height||240.5 metres (789 ft)|
|Structural system||Reinforced concrete|
|Design and construction|
The Rheinturm (pronounced [ˈʁaɪ̯ntʊʁm]) (Rhine Tower) is a 240.5 metre high concrete telecommunications tower in Düsseldorf, capital of the federal state (Bundesland) of North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. Construction commenced in 1979 and finished in 1981. The Rheinturm carries aerials for directional radio, FM and TV transmitters. It stands 174.5 metres high and houses a revolving restaurant and an observation deck at a height of 170 metres. It is the tallest building in Düsseldorf.
The Rheinturm was inaugurated on 1 December 1981. It contains 7,500 cubic metres of concrete and weighs 22,500 tons. Before October 15, 2004, when an aerial antenna for DVB-T was mounted, it was 234.2 metres high.
The observation deck is open to public, daily from 10:00 AM to 11:30 PM. As a special attraction, a light sculpture on its shaft works as a clock. This sculpture was designed by Horst H. Baumann and is called Lichtzeitpegel (light time level). The light sculpture on the Rheinturm is the largest digital clock in the world.
- List of tallest structures in Germany
- List of tallest structures in Europe
- List of tallest towers in the world
- Klaus Müller, Hermann Wegener, Heinz-Gerd Wöstemeyer: Rheinturm Düsseldorf: Daten und Fakten Triltsch Verlag, Düsseldorf 1990, ISBN 3-7998-0060-3.
- Roland Kanz: Architekturführer Düsseldorf. Dietrich Riemer Verlag, Berlin 2001, ISBN 3-496-01232-3, S. 81.
- Klaus Englert: … in die Jahre gekommen. Der Rheinturm in Düsseldorf. In db Deutsche Bauzeitung 141, 2007, Nr.6, S. 85–88, ISSN 0721-1902.
- Erwin Heinle, Fritz Leonhardt: Türme aller Zeiten, aller Kulturen. Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt, Stuttgart 1997, ISBN 3-421-02931-8, S. 235.
View from the Rheinturm looking down onto Stadtmitte
- "All brewing up nicely: jet off to Germany for a guaranteed weekend of good cheer", The Times, 2003-08-09
- 360° interactive panorama
- Rheinturm Restaurants Top 180 and bistro Panorama, Günnewig GmbH & Co. KG (German) (English)
- Rhine Tower at Structurae
- time lapse of tower and clock at new years fire work