Rhinelander High School
|Rhinelander High School|
Rhinelander High School Flag
"Committed to Excellence"
|665 Coolidge Avenue
Rhinelander, Wisconsin, Oneida, 54501
|School type||Public, High School|
|School district||School District of Rhinelander|
|Hours in school day||7|
|Color(s)||Kelly green and white|
|Athletics||Football, cross country, soccer, tennis, volleyball, basketball, gymnastics, hockey, swimming, wrestling, Alpine skiing, Nordic skiing, baseball, softball, golf, track and field|
|Athletics conference||Great Northern Conference|
|Rival||Antigo Red Robins|
The first Rhinelander High School was built in 1889. It was named Rhinelander Union High School (RUHS) and the building was commonly known as Old Central. It stood on what is now Saroca Park. When the school began it had just two teachers and fewer than 80 students. By 1912, attendance had grown to over 215 students.
The school was demolished to accommodate increased enrollment. The new high school, known as Rhinelander High School today, had its first graduation on June 4, 1959, with a class of over 200 seniors.
On 9 May 2012, 50 students participated in a walk out, protesting the layoffs of educators because of budget cuts. Some students participated in a school board meeting on 21 May 2012, which also gained attention in Rhinelander.
Again, in 2013, Rhinelander High School gained statewide attention after a recently hired teacher was arrested for possessing 66 marijuana plants and stealing laptops as well as lab equipment, with the aid of another new teacher and a secretary. All who were involved were later dismissed from employment.
|This section is outdated. (April 2014)|
Rhinelander High School offers both general classes and advanced placement classes. Its courses include two foreign languages - Spanish, and German. The school also has career academies for students.[clarification needed]
Rhinelander High School academic departments include: Math, English, Music, Foreign Language (German and Spanish), Physical Education, Technology&Engineering, Science, Social Studies, Art, Business Education, Family and Consumer Sciences, Alternative Ed (Independent Study, Independent Instruction, Student Aide, Student Volunteer, Senior Work Experience)
- Key Club: A self-governing organization service organization, this club is affiliated with the Wisconsin-Upper Michigan District and Key Club International.
- Library Club
- Mock Trial: Mock Trial simulates a courtroom trial, with students playing the roles of witnesses and attorneys in a fact situation provided by the state bar. The school holds the record for the most consecutive wins in Mock Trial. The team has 27 regional championships and 15 state championships, RHS won the National High School Mock Trial Championship in 1989 and has finished second twice.
- Debate: The RHS debate team travels and competes with other high school debaters. In 2007, the Rhinelander debate team took second place at the state competition in the novice division. In 2008, the team took first place at the state final.
- National Honor Society: The organization sponsors a scholarship drive by selling weekly "Dress Down Day" stickers to faculty. NHS calculates and distributes academic letters and bars to eligible students and sponsors the annual homecoming talent show.
- Drama: Students perform two drama productions per school year. They are involved in all facets of the production, including acting, set design, costumes, lighting, and drama competition.
- SADD: This group promotes students making healthy choices, such as seat belt use and staying drug-free. At Homecoming and Prom, it sponsors a speaker to address the student body. It also promotes Red Ribbon Week to elementary schools.
- Shodags: Shodags Show Choir is a musical song and dance group. It performs at school functions and community gatherings.
- German Club: The German Club travels to Germany as part of the German American Partnership Program every two years and hosts German students every two years. The group raises money through candy sales, fruit sales, and Advent calendar sales for both events. Other events include a lock-in, movie night, caroling, picnic, bowling, and going out to eat.
- Spanish Club: Spanish Club raises funds for foreign language trips abroad.
- Student Council: This student organization attempts to resolve issues in the school and provide services and events for the students and staff. Participants are either elected to a council office in April, a class office in May, or selected as a class representative.
- Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)
Rhinelander High School sports include football, soccer, swimming, wrestling, gymnastics, Nordic and Alpine skiing, snowboarding, baseball, softball, track and field, volleyball, hockey, basketball, cross country, tennis, dance team, and golf.
Rhinelander High School sports are part of the Great Northern Conference, a division two conference. Up until 2010, the Hodags were a part of the Wisconsin Valley Conference, a division one conference.
- Football (Wisconsin Valley Conference from 1920-2010) Conference Titles:
1934 Co-Conference Champions with Stevens Point, 1938 Conference Champions, 1955 Co-Conference Champions with Antigo, 1964 Co-Conference Champions with Antigo, 1974 Co-Conference Champions with Antigo, 1989 Co-Conference Champions with DC Everest
- Soccer (Great Northern Conference from 2010-2012) Conference Titles:
2010 and 2012 Conference Champions
- Girls Swimming (Wisconsin Valley Conference from 1975-2010) Conference Titles:
1980 Co-Conference Champions with Wausau West and Stevens Point, 1983 Conference Champions, 1992 Conference Champions, 1993 Conference Champions, 1994 Conference Champions, 1995 Conference Champions, 2001 Conference Champions, 2002 Conference Champions
- Girls Tennis (Great Northern Conference from 2010-2012) Conference Titles:
2010 Conference Champions, 2011 Co-Conference Champions with Columbus Catholic, 2012 Conference Champions
- Girls Volleyball (Great Northern Conference 2010-2012) Conference Titles:
2012 Conference Champions
- Boys Cross Country (Wisconsin Valley Conference 1951-2010) Conference Titles:
1962, 1996, 1971, 1974, 1987 Conference Champions; 1987 Sectional Champions; 1987 Class A state Champions Dr.Jeff Craig(Tomahawk, WI);Charles Schmock (DeForest,WI);Dave Meisinger (Milwaukee,WI); Brian Cutler,(Fox Valley, WI);Kyle Schroeder(Sommerset,WI)
- Girls Cross Country (Wisconsin Valley Conference 1975-2010) Conference Titles:
1977 Conference Champions
- Boys Basketball (Wisconsin Valley Conference 1921-2010) Conference Titles:
1935-36, 1936-37, 1937-38, 1938-39, 1939-1940, 1941-42, 1947-48, 1958-59, 1959-1960, 1963-64, 1965-66, 1968-69, 1970-71, 1974-75, 1975-76, 1988-89, 1989-1990, 1995-96, 1997-98, 1998-99, 2003-04
- Girls Basketball (Wisconsin Valley Conference 1975-2010) Conference Titles:
- Wrestling (Wisconsin Valley Conference 1956-2010) Conference Titles:
- Boys Hockey (Wisconsin Valley Conference 1991-2010) Conference Titles:
- Girls Hockey (Great Northern Conference 2010-present) Conference Titles:
- Gymnastics (Great Northern Conference 2010-present) Conference Titles:
- Boys Swimming (Great Northern Conference 2010-present) Conference Title:
- Baseball (Great Northern Conference 2010-present) Conference Titles:
- Softball (Great Northern Conference 2010-present) Conference Titles:
- Boys and Girls Track (Great Northern Conference 2010-present) Conference Titles:
- Girls Soccer (Great Northern Conference 2010-present) Conference Titles:
- Co-ed Golf (Great Northern Conference 2010-present) Conference Titles:
- Boys Tennis (Great Northern Conference 2010-present) Conference Titles:
- Jason Doering, football player
- Gene Englund, professional basketball player
- Mike Webster, Hall of Fame center, Pittsburgh Steelers, 1974–1988; Kansas City Chiefs, 1989–1990
- Frederick Wedge, professional boxer, clergyman, and college professor
- "Rhinelander High School". School District of Rhinelander. Retrieved 13 May 2012.
- "Rhinelander Union High School Reporter 1959"
- Meyer, Ben (9 May 2012). "Students Walk Out, Protesting Teacher Layoffs". NewsWatch 12. Retrieved 13 May 2012.
- "Former Rhinelander teacher sentenced". 4 January 2014. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- RHS Foreign Language Department - School District of Rhinelander
- "RHS Academic Activities". Rhinelander School District. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- "RHS Mock Trial team claims Regional Championship". Star Journal. Retrieved 13 May 2012.
- "High School Mock Trial Tournament Finalists announced". State Bar of Wisconsin. 13 March 2006. Retrieved 13 May 2012.
- Nimsgern, Tom (11 March 2011). "First time ever: LUHS mock trial team to compete at state semi-finals". Lakeland Times. Retrieved 13 May 2012.
- "RHS Debate Team". School District of Rhinelander. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- RHS Athletics - School District of Rhinelander
- Great Northern Conference
- Wisconsin Valley Conference
- "Gene Englund Past Stats". databaseBasketball.com. databaseSports.com. 2006. Retrieved 2 September 2010.
- Hodag Facilities Foundation :: Home
- "Kid Wedge, Pastor and Ex-Pugilist, 'Knocked Out' by Divorcee", The Milwaukee Journal (January 25, 1929):2.