Rhododendron subg. Hymenanthes
|Rhododendron subgenus Hymenanthes|
|Subgenus:||Rhododendron subg. Hymenanthes|
Rhododendron subg. Hymenanthes is a subgenus of the genus Rhododendron, with a widespread distribution in the temperate Northern Hemisphere. The species are evergreen shrubs and small to medium-sized trees (up to 20 m tall), with medium-sized to large leaves (very large, over 40 cm long, in a few species). The flowers are large, produced in terminal trusses of 5-40 together.
The subgenus includes two sections, Rhododendron sect. Ponticum, divided into 24 subsections and about 140 species, and (since 2005) Rhododendron sect. Pentanthera
Section Ponticum (24 subsections)
- R. subsect. Arborea (3 species)
- R. subsect. Argyrophylla (6 species)
- R. subsect. Auriculata (one species, R. auriculatum)
- R. subsect. Barbata (2 species)
- R. subsect. Campanulata (2 species)
- R. subsect. Campylocarpa (4 species)
- R. subsect. Falconera (7 species)
- R. subsect. Fortunea (10 species)
- R. subsect. Fulgensia (2 species)
- R. subsect. Fulva (2 species)
- R. subsect. Glischra (5 species)
- R. subsect. Grandia (9 species)
- R. subsect. Griersoniana (one species, R. griersonianum)
- R. subsect. Irrorata (7 species)
- R. subsect. Lanata (one species, R. lanatum)
- R. subsect. Maculifera (6 species)
- R. subsect. Neriiflora (19 species)
- R. subsect. Parishia (3 species)
- R. subsect. Pontica (13 species)
- R. subsect. Selensia (5 species)
- R. subsect. Taliensia (20 species)
- R. subsect. Thomsonia (7 species)
- R. subsect. Venatora (one species, R. venator)
- R. subsect. Williamsiana (one species, R. williamsianum)
Section Pentanthera (2 subsections)
- R. subsect. Pentanthera (G. Don) Pojarkova (15 species)
- R. subsect. Sinensia (one species: Rhododendron molle)
This subgenus includes the majority of the larger evergreen rhododendrons widely grown as ornamental plants. Some species, notably Rhododendron ponticum, have escaped from cultivation and become invasive in some regions such as New Zealand.
- Chamberlain, DF; Hyam R; Argent G; Fairweather G; Walter KS (1996). The genus Rhododendron: its classification and synonymy. Royal Botanic gardens Edinburgh. ISBN 1 872291 66 X. Archived from the original on July 14, 2014. Retrieved July 3, 2014.
- Goetsch, Loretta A.; Eckert, Andrew J.; Hall, Benjamin D. (July–September 2005). "The molecular systematics of Rhododendron (Ericaceae): a phylogeny based upon RPB2 gene sequences". Systematic Botany. 30 (3): 616–626. doi:10.1600/0363644054782170. Retrieved July 3, 2014.
- Huxley, A., ed. (1992). New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. Macmillan.
- Craven, L.A.; Goetsch, L.A.; Hall, B.D.; Brown, G.K. (2008). "Classification of the Vireya group of Rhododendron (Ericaceae)". Blumea - Biodiversity, Evolution and Biogeography of Plants. 53 (2): 435. doi:10.3767/000651908X608070.
|This Ericaceae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|