Rhodri Talfan Davies
Rhodri Talfan Davies (born 9 February 1971) is a Welsh television executive. He is Director of Nations at the BBC and is the director of BBC Cymru Wales. He is a former journalist and communications executive.
Personal life and education
Davies was born in Cardiff in 1971 to Elizabeth Siân Vaughan Yorath and Geraint Talfan Davies, the chairman of Welsh National Opera and a former controller of BBC Cymru Wales. His grandfather Aneirin Talfan Davies (1909–1980) was a poet, broadcaster and literary critic.
Educated at Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Glantaf, Cardiff, and Royal Grammar School, Newcastle upon Tyne, Davies went on to study as an undergraduate at Jesus College, Oxford (BA Hons), and received a postgraduate diploma in journalism from Cardiff University.
Davies's career began with a short tenure as a sub-editor at the Western Mail in 1993. In the same year he joined the BBC as a news trainee, where he remained as a news reporter and producer until 1999.
Davies was head of regional programmes at BBC West in Bristol from 1999-2001, taking charge of BBC television, online and local radio services across the region. He left the BBC in 2001 to become director of TV at the newly launched Homechoice (now TalkTalk TV). In 2005 he was appointed head of TV marketing at the cable operator ntl.
In December 2020 Davies was appointed as BBC Director of Nations, with responsibility for nations and local audiences in Scotland, England and Northern Ireland. He retained his role as director of BBC Cymru Wales alongside the new role.
- Who's Who 2015. Reference Library: Bloomsbury. 2014. ISBN 9781408181201.
- "Rhodri Talfan Davies replaces Menna Richards as director of BBC Wales". walesonline. Retrieved 2015-12-15.
- "Rhodri Talfan Davies, Director, BBC Cymru Wales". Inside the BBC. BBC. Archived from the original on 10 April 2016. Retrieved 15 December 2015.
- "BBC - Press Office - Rhodri Talfan Davies appointed Director, BBC Cymru Wales". www.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-12-15.
- "BBC Wales: Rhodri Talfan Davies made director of nations". BBC News. 1 December 2020.
- Creamer, Jon (1 December 2020). "Rhodri Talfan Davies appointed BBC Director of Nations". Televisual.